Controversial opinions you hold

Discussion, in general

Re: Controversial opinions you hold

Postby DanteHoratio » Wed May 29, 2019 1:39 pm

The Beatles sucked. Or I think they do, at least. it's more they don't fit my interest in music. I'm more into Rock and Metal.

Also, Pepsi is better than Coke.

I am pro life.

I think the voting age should not be lowered. If anything, it could do with being alittle higher.

"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself." -Mark Twain

"I couldn't live a week without a private library - indeed, I'd part with all my furniture and squat and sleep on the floor before I'd let go of the 1500 or so books I possess." -HP Lovecraft
DanteHoratio
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep
Title: Let's get dangerous

Postby cmsellers » Wed May 29, 2019 3:55 pm

I think disagreeing is fine if the counter-opinion is also controversial, gis. But I did not see this thread as a debate thread, and that's the only reason I posted in it. I stopped making new threads in CASS on controversial subjects in CASS like a year ago, and a lot of my post was basically explaining why I did that. I posted here because this seemed like a place to say "OK, I believe this thing almost no one else does, and I'm not starting a thread because I don't want an argument where everyone tells me things I've already heard."

But even stating something that's "'obviously wrong" inspires everyone to correct. I think that we sort of have an instinct to try to keep people from expressing obviously wrong ideas. The problem is that this can apply to abolitionists as easily as it does to Nazis; it's not so much about shutting down bad opinions as ensuring that discourse stays within group-acceptable bounds.

I should probably mention that the day before this happened, something similar to me happened on Reddit. Someone asked for a definition. I gave a definition, which aligns with the historic use of the term, As it turns out, this is a topic which tends to attract SJWs, and members of that subreddit had apparently decided that the old definition was unnecessarily exclusive and reactionary, and several members rushed to "correct" me about the new definition.

I thought the new definition was so broad as to be nearly useless (imagine defining "gay" to mean "anyone who has every had any attraction to the person of the same sex," as an analogy), and got drawn into a debate I did not want to take part in, because I am very bad at letting things go when I say something, people make an argument which I think misses the point, makes points I already addressed, or is just plain stupid which gets more upvotes than my original argument.

Consciously, I know that this happens because people don't evaluate arguments starting from a place of neutrality, we favor arguments that support what we already believe, and not only nitpick arguments which disagree with us to pieces, but often find flaws that either aren't there, or are only there because of a premise the other person doesn't share. It's not a sign that my argument is bad, it's a defect in human nature, and I should just let it go. But I can't, and I hate, hate, hate being in the position where I say something well outside the pale and everyone else starts disagreeing and upvoting each other for it. Once that happens, I feel cornered, and like I need to fight back.

Like Jamish, I saw this thread as a place for posting opinions people have which are outside the pale. It's a bit cathartic, and it's interesting to read when other people do it. There have been a number of times recently where someone made a post I thought was wrong and my first impulse was to argue, but I told myself "no, that's not the point of the thread," so I upvoted if I thought they articulated their reasons well (even if I saw flaws in their reasoning, as long as they weren't glaringly obvious), and moved on.

However it seems clear to me that human nature is such that, with a sufficiently controversial position, half the forum is going to need to pile on to defend the conventional wisdom, and my nature is such that it is almost painful for me to leave it alone when people do it, but responding makes me miserable. So, in the future, I am going to try very hard avoid posting any opinion I have which I think might are too far removed from the conventional wisdom.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby NathanLoiselle » Wed May 29, 2019 6:24 pm

The authors of long posts should be shot.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Australia » Wed May 29, 2019 10:54 pm

I disagree. Guillotines are far more humane.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby cmsellers » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:04 am

Silverfish are cute. In fact, while this may be a low bar considering the other candidates, I think they're the cutest arthropod I've found in my apartment.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Krashlia » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:23 am

Iraq is embracing nationalism. Very good.

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Malfeasinator » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:56 pm

reddit's r/all and r/popular are the same thing, change my mind.

Just kidding. Sorta.

I hate the social distancing.

I mean I get it. I do. It's not even the keeping distance part. That part's always a laugh to me. It's being told to be distant, all the freaking time, everywhere I go.

I'm fucking Shrek, y'all. Motherfuckers get back. They always have. People have avoided me since I was 14. I've been treated like a potential rapist any time I go to a park by myself or want to share an elevator with somebody. I can walk through a crowd on Black Friday and not bump into anyone. That's a day in the life for me.

You don't need to tell me to social distance. I AM the social distance.

Malfeasinator
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: this guy

Postby cmsellers » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:16 am

Ben Shapiro's sister isn't that hot, and memes about her hotness are almost as annoying as Chuck Norris memes.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Krashlia » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:35 pm

cmsellers wrote:Ben Shapiro's sister isn't that hot, and memes about her hotness are almost as annoying as Chuck Norris memes.

(Pounds fist on the table)
Neither was Cleopatra, damnit!

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:54 pm

CLeopatra was hot. I'd do her.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Pedgerow » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:06 am

People only thought she was hot because a snake bit her on the boobies, and I've got a snake of my own that I'd love to bla bla bla you can fill in the rest.

Anyway: Iran are the good guys, and the Foo Fighters are the most overrated band of my entire life.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: PWOT refugee

Postby JamishT » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:14 am

cmsellers wrote:Ben Shapiro's sister isn't that hot, and memes about her hotness are almost as annoying as Chuck Norris memes.

I have not seen any of these alleged memes, but she's hot. A cursory glance at Google Image results for "Ben Shapiro's sister" did not give me enough information to decide whether or not she is that hot, but I prefer brunettes, so she's well on her way.

Speaking of attraction, I theorize that some people who call themselves bisexual really just find certain people of whatever gender physically appealing, but actually would not like a sexual encounter with them. I find people like Zac Efron, Leonardo De Caprio, and Michael B. Jordan physically quite attractive, but simultaneously recoil from the thought of either one of us doing anything to anyone's dick(s). It is certainly none of my business if people label themselves bisexual because of the same feelings, but it's something that stays in the back of my mind...and now here on the Internet.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby NathanLoiselle » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:29 am

Well it's clear to me now. JamishT is a lesbian.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:26 am

Jamish, before I identified as nonbinary, I probably would have described myself as heteroflexible.

I find some men extremely attractive, to the point that I feel the same feelings of arousal as I do looking at attractive women, yet I'm not willing to mingle dicks with my bodily fluids in the body I have.

Though I think I'm somewhat more flexible than you, because in a BDSM setting I would consider manually masturbating a cis man I'd tied up, so long as I were wearing gloves.

Interesting question for you, though: would you consider dating a transman whom you found physically attractive and who hadn't had bottom surgery?

I would, but would not date a transwoman whom I found physically attractive and had not had bottom surgery. Because "genital preference" is, in fact, a major part of my sexual orientation.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Australia » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:16 pm

I wouldn't have thought surgery on bottoms was necessary in a sex change.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

PreviousNext