Game of Thrones [Spoilers heavy]

What have you been watching?

Re: Game of Thrones [Spoilers heavy]

Postby DamianaRaven » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:17 am

There's some dumb motherfuckers in the Iron Islands! Do they all just follow whoever is yelling the loudest?

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby CarrieVS » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:37 pm

My theory is they're all brain-damaged from the ritual drowning.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Marcuse » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:52 pm

Book Euron cheats. It's not made super obvious, but there's definitely some bullshit going on with that horn Euron has a guy bring in and blow. He gets burned from doing it, and when the same guy dies (which we are specifically told about, even though the guy isn't remotely important), the Ironborn start getting rebellious. I've heard theories that the horn isn't to bind dragons, but to bind men as slaves to the will of the blower. Because Valyria was all about slavery, and it doesn't seem right given what we know about dragons that they would be controlled by a magic horn.

Also Aeron is repeatedly offered veiled fealty from several lords, but he refuses on the premise that he's a man of God. But that's bullshit and he's likely just scared of responsibility, so he keeps trying to get other people to stand up for what he wants.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:33 pm

Brian Cogman's getting a GoT prequel... co-created with George.

...Yeah ok I give up. Carrie was right, George isn't finishing the books ever. Fuck it, no more theories, no more rereads for me until TWoW actually comes out. Bye bye aSoIaF.

I mean, GRRM was a TV writer for most of his life, he probably likes being at the helm again, but I don't like the show. He does, apparently. Since he calls the man who wrote
Sansa's rape
the Sand Snakes' fight scene
shirtless Ramsay
second only to him on lore accuracy. Apparently my like of GRRM's mystery style intertwined PoV writing and amazing lore and worldbuilding was just a monkey on a typewriter moment.

Mood: Image (I love that George is basically stuck in the late 90s early 2000s technology wise, man writes on wordperfect)

WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Grenadier

Postby CarrieVS » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:46 pm

{{{lemon}}}

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby DamianaRaven » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:15 am

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby Aquila89 » Mon May 13, 2019 9:41 am

Whelp, I hate Game of Thrones now.

I should've listened to this important life lesson from Homer Simpson:

Lisa: Why do you hate the Isotopes so much, dad?

Homer: Because I loved them once and they broke my heart. Let that be a lesson to you sweetie: Never love anything.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Mon May 13, 2019 4:29 pm

The problem here is clearly a lack of communication. HBO offered D&D funding for another thirty episodes, but D&D must have thought they said "thirteen."

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Aquila89 » Mon May 13, 2019 8:57 pm

And what if it had seen those glories fade,
Those titles vanish, and that strength decay;
Yet shall some tribute of regret be paid
When its long life hath reached its final day:
Fans are we, and must grieve when even the Shade
Of that which once was great is passed away.

William Wordsworth: On the Extinction of Game of Thrones

(Okay, originally it may have been about something else.)

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Tue May 21, 2019 8:18 pm

D. B. Weiss in 2016:

"We want to leave while all the people watching this show are really into it. Get out at a high point and not have it be, well thank god that's over."

Well... thank God that's over.

--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Tue May 21, 2019 11:37 pm

I can't believe just how much hackwork went into the finale, even after the trash fire of a season leading up to it. "Stabbing noise from offscreen during an embrace for maximum drama" and "I wrote a book about these events, it's called [series title]" were played out to the point of parody before Ned Stark's head hit the floor, and that's what we end the fucking series on.

Motherfuckers were offered 10 full-length seasons by HBO to tell the story at the pace it needed to be told. 10 seasons. But no, they just had to get out as fast as they could so they could move on to further ruining Star Wars and pushing out that surely wonderful "what if the South won the Civil War" idea. Sure was worth ditching the main threat of the series (and the reason I started watching) in a mid-season episode nobody could see, and erasing core character arcs to the point that their entire run in the series becomes pointless, all for the sake of subverting expectations.

At least we got some wonderful memes out of it.

Spoiler: show

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby cmsellers » Wed May 22, 2019 2:21 am

Sorry about the long-ass post, but our spoiler tags don't play nicely with png images because the spoiler tag breaks the lightbox extension, and I never figured out how to fix that.

Anyways, I've been posting a lot of funny comments, and a few memes, from r/freefolk, in Discord, but...

Also, someone revealed Tyrion's full joke, which was funny, and D&D cut because of course they did.

Tyrion walks into a brothel with a honeycomb and a jackass.
Madame: What can we do for you?
Tyrion: I need a woman to lay with, for mine has left me.
Madame: Whatever for? And what's with the honeycomb and the mule?
Tyrion: My woman found a genie in a bottle, and he granted her three wishes. The first was for a house fit for a queen, so he gave her this damn honeycomb. The second wish was that she have the nicest ass in all the land, so he gave her this damn donkey...
Madame: And what about the third wish?
Tyrion: Well... she asked the genie to make my cock hang down past my knee.
Madame: Well that one's not so bad eh?
Tyrion: Not so bad!? I used to be six foot three!

And on that note...

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Aquila89 » Wed May 22, 2019 3:23 pm

KleinerKiller wrote: But no, they just had to get out as fast as they could so they could move on to further ruining Star Wars

I sure am glad right now that I don't care about Star Wars anymore. I mean, I care about the original trilogy, and I have a nostalgic appreciation for the prequels. But this new stuff they're putting out is nothing to me. They could get Michael Bay to direct it for all I care.

--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Australia » Wed May 22, 2019 11:00 pm

Eh, I liked the finale. It wasn't the be all and end all of Game of Thrones - that's still Battle of the Bastards - but it was a decent ending to a great show. That scene with Drogon was amazing and it was nice seeing where all the Starks end up. The worst thing a TV show can be is boring and I wasn't bored once this season. I thought the characters writing a book about everything was stupid (though I did like the callback to Sam wanting more catchy titles in his library) and it really lowers the stakes going after a human woman after literally defeating Death (in one of my top three episodes in the series) but other than that, I didn't have a problem with the show. I could take or leave Bran as King - I wasn't pumping my fist in the air like I would have if it was Jon but given all the horrible leaders Westeros has had led with their emotions, who better to lead than someone with a lack of them? Plus he comes with his own chair so they don't have to build a new one. Plus plus I think the point is they could have picked anyone.

Then again, The Last Jedi is my third favourite Star Wars film so I guess my opinion isn't anything to go by.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby KleinerKiller » Thu May 23, 2019 1:17 am

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

PreviousNext