[Mobsters RP] Week of February 1st, 1925

Pendragon: Tales of Chivalry and Sorcery is the place to go if you want to play Pendragon. Cpt._Funkotron will be your GM, with assistance from CarrieVS.

Re: [Mobsters RP] Week of February 1st, 1925

Postby Absentia » Fri May 10, 2019 12:00 am

"Yeah, we thought we'd try something a little different tonight," Casey says with her best attempt at a knowing smile. Going on a "date" to a pipe den was different, all right. Truth be told, the drugs, the seedy environs, and the scarred-up tough were probably less intimidating than the implications of romance. "Go easy on us."

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Sat May 11, 2019 8:36 am

The woman leans in conspiratorially and says "You just follow me, Blossom's got you taken care of".

She leads you through the beaded archway into the den itself. Bunkbeds three rows high line the cold windowless walls, floormats interspersed between them at irregular intervals. The small space, that might have served as an artisinal workroom in the Charuterie's legitimate days, is quite crowded. It would seem the opium den takes all sorts; young and old, men and women, rich and poor, all told about twenty, almost all either slumbering sweetly or well on their way to do so. At the far end, guarding some kind of closet, is another enigmatic tough type, a stocky bald man with a walrus mustache, one hand stuck into his overcoat Napoleon-style, probably holding a weapon. His attention seems fixated on the middle of the room, where a young woman softly plays acoustic guitar.

Almost all the spaces seem to be occupied, so Blossom leads you to one of the few available floormats, situated about halfway between the guitarist and the closet. "Here now, but just before you get comfy, it'll be twelve dollars for the pair of you, beginner's discount" she says at a whisper, looking at Felice expectantly.

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Sat May 11, 2019 9:27 pm

Felice has no idea what the going rate is or whether that really is a discount, but he hands the requested amount over. It's not as though he's going to do this again.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Sun May 12, 2019 3:47 am

Encounter Conclusion: Felice and Casey
The woman takes the money, ambles over to the guarded closet, and returns with the necessary paraphernalia. Felice and Casey are obliged to lie snugly next to eachother on the floor mat as they pass the opium pipe between themselves, and serenaded by the acoustic guitar and the snores of their fellow patrons, they are carried into deep and euphoric slumbers in the small dark room.

Monday, February 2nd, 1925

Newspaper Headlines:

Kaasen sled team runs the Iditarod, Nome Saved
The shipment of antitoxin has finally reached the Alaskan town of Nome, suffering from a catastrophic Diptheria outbreak, in a harrowing 53-mile journey across the frozen wilderness. Gunnar Kaasen and his lead-dog Balto are lauded in the press and even by President Calvin Coolidge.

Advertisement:

NOW IN THEATERS!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guns and Alleycat wake up in the small hours of the following morning, before dawn, sore and uncomfortable from sleeping on the floor in their street clothes all night. Just as they begin to stir and clumsily make their way for the exit, they overhear a hushed conversation going on in the hallway between Blossom and an unknown man.

"Business seems good" says the man. "A little too good, in fact."
"Too good? Fuck's that supposed to mean?" says Blossom, a distinctly Bostonian accent and temperament briefly emerging.
"It means you need to keep a lower fucking profile, alright? For starters, stop passing these goddamn cards out. I guess the sign outside must've confused you, but we ain't really selling fucking sausages in here. Word on the beat is they're getting two or three tip offs a week, and let me tell you getting 'em to ignore shit like that ain't getting cheaper."
"I can handle the cops."
"Boss'll crack open your pretty little head and chuck it in the swamp before he risks finding out."
"Tell Madcap he's got nothin' to worry about...and get your filthy hands off me, I ain't like that anymore."
Two pairs of footsteps diverge, one heading out the door, the other up the stairs.

Crunch Time, Intentions: Everyone

What are your plans for the day? Where are you going, if anywhere, and what are you taking with you, if anything? Don't forget to consult with your fellow family/gang members if you need backup or can't think of anything useful to do.

Reminder: Evie and Dolly have an appointment with the Parish Assessor at One O'Clock in the afternoon.

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby Kivutar » Sun May 12, 2019 5:03 pm

I plan to eat people.

Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Hosea 3:1
Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Great Librarian

Postby CarrieVS » Mon May 13, 2019 8:16 pm

A very short few moments after Blossom and the Mandiz mobster part ways, Felice leads Casey towards the exit again, and heads for where he left his bike.

"You coming back to base with me, Cat?"

Plan for the day:
- head back to the Grill
- make a half-hearted attempt to shirk whatever soot-scrubbing/child-watching/errand-running any more senior members of the gang might want me to do until afternoon
- go look up Fast Frank. Don't wanna show up too early: not entirely sure what time he does business.

Edit: qualifier is redundant.

Last edited by CarrieVS on Mon May 13, 2019 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Ladki96 » Mon May 13, 2019 8:33 pm

"Ah, nice!" Dolly says as she stepped into the clean Beauchamp's. Well, cleaner than yesterday. There was still a lot more to go before the restaurant was the place it was before (and better), but this was a good start. "Cracking job on the manual labour, boys, but the youngsters are there for a reason. They could do with some honest work too, you know." (assuming that Deacon came with her and Mikevie is already there, she is not crazily talking to dusty tables)

"Now excuse me please, I need to go read some things so I can convince Mr Caldwell with FACTS and LOGIC." Dolly climbs the stairs to the office on the first floor.

Gear
Wearing: dress, overcoat, hat, watch
Bag: Handkerchief, notepad full of little scribbles, pen, newspaper
Cash: $10 ($5: dress pockets, $5: bag)

Plan of the Day, probably

1. Lots of reading/marking/copying from Beauchamp's books
2. To Antoine's!
3. Evie @ Mr Hiram Caldwell:ImageImageImage
4. Dolly @ the same fella: "Ahem! Let's talk ImageImageImage"

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: =)

Postby Absentia » Wed May 15, 2019 9:17 pm

This had already been a productive investigation, but Casey saw an opportunity to learn a little more.

"Nah, you go ahead. I'm gonna take a little walk." She pauses, then adds. "Thanks for coming with me. It's more fun to get high with a friend."

If she could follow this Mandiz associate back to his base, that might be a particularly useful bit of information. Certainly something interesting would come of it. Just remember to stay far enough behind that he doesn't get suspicious.

Gear: The same as yesterday, clearly. (Jeans, shirt, overcoat, leather gloves. .45 Luger (loaded) in hip holster, knife in shoulder holster. Reefer, lighter, and fourteen .45 rounds in pockets. $269.50 dispersed between pockets, brassiere, etc.)
Plan: Tail the Mandiz associate, then report back to the restaurant with whatever I can learn.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Thu May 16, 2019 8:42 am

Encounter Time, Complication: Casey

The man, tall and thin by his silhouette, joins a heavyset companion in the alley outside and they walk off together. The sky is still dark, the town is unfamiliar, and her quarry take a rather circuitous route through twisting alleyways and side streets. Casey has always been at home in the shadows, an adept of concealment. However, the act of concealing oneself while in close and prolonged pursuit is another art entirely, one which until now the Alley Cat had found no call to learn. If there were a crowd for her to blend in to she might have better luck, but as it is the streets of this part of town at this time of the morning are nearly deserted. She is at first too cautious, employing her stealth as she normally does and darting between hiding places at a distance. She quickly finds that she couldn't keep anywhere near a good pace this way, and resorts to bolder maneuvers. After a couple blocks, she looses sight of them of again and hurries to regain the trail.

She rounds a dark corner only to hear a metallic *click*, and feel the cold barrel of a gun pressed against the base of her skull.

"You got a crush on me, sweetheart?" says a voice behind her.

Needed a 9 or higher, got a 5; resounding failure.

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Thu May 16, 2019 10:34 pm

In an instant, Casey decides she's never been much good at talking her way out of these situations. With her lightning reflexes, she ducks away and dives back around the corner, reaching for her Luger.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Thu May 16, 2019 10:37 pm

The swift acrobatic maneuver takes the gunman totally by surprise, and he is only able to pop a shot off just as she rounds the corner, grazing her non-seriously just above the knee.

Combat Shot, difficulty 11, rolld 2d6+4; 12, Margin 1 x 5 damage = 5 damage.

She then cracks her own shot and caps him in the belly, crumpling him down onto the filthy cobbled alley.

Combat Shot 11, rolled 14; Margin 3 x 9 Damage = 27 Damage, Major Wound.

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Thu May 16, 2019 11:35 pm

Casey decides to press the advantage before the larger partner can get his gun out. Using the corner as cover, she squeezes off another good shot at him and hits center mass, downing him while he fumbles for his weapon.

Combat Shot 11, rolled 14; Margin 3 x 9 Damage = 27 Damage, Major Wound.

The first assailant tries another shot, but between his wound, his position on the ground, and Casey's solid cover, he can't even get close.

Hard Shot 14, rolled 9; Miss.

Casey retaliates with another shot at her attacker, now an easy target on the ground. As the bullet pierces his chest, he groans and slumps back into the grimy pavement.

Easy Shot 8, rolled 12; Margin 4 x 9 Damage = 36 Damage, Incapacitating Wound.

With the situation looking well in hand, she allows herself a deep breath. Whatever the Germans do to their handguns, she's glad she paid a little extra for it.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Thu May 16, 2019 11:39 pm

'Tall and lanky' groans on the floor, blood seeping out of his midsection, while 'Beefy' holds up his hands in surrender. "Please, don't kill me!"

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Thu May 16, 2019 11:52 pm

This was not the first time a man had begged her for his life. It wasn't easy to ignore, but she had learned to do it anyway.

And it wasn't anything personal against him, but the cold calculus of the situation dictated that it just wasn't safe to leave witnesses. Or survivors with grudges. And since this was no time to be pumping him for information, it was best to just quickly eliminate both of them before making her escape.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Fri May 17, 2019 2:38 am

"NO!-" *bang*...*bang*

As Casey swiftly and discretely extricates herself from the scene, she feels a warm trickle running down her leg, and a numb pain beginning to grow just above her knee. She's been grazed, not seriously, but she should probably get it looked at. Luckily, Dolly is a gifted sawbones.

Relatively little time has passed. What does Casey plan to do with her day?

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

PreviousNext