Minor annoyances

Discussion, in general

Re: Minor annoyances

Postby NathanLoiselle » Wed May 08, 2019 9:41 pm

ARRR! Ye mateys! Piracy is bad! And that's annoying!!

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Thu May 09, 2019 12:45 am

Pedgerow wrote:I'm very impressed if you find anything to watch on those channels.

My taste in TV is atypical.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby iMURDAu » Thu May 09, 2019 9:58 pm

CarrieVS wrote:
JamishT wrote:
CarrieVS wrote:Freeview channels trailing programs on channels that aren't free.

I'm not sure what you mean here.

I was brought up in Yorkshire, so I'm too cheap to pay for TV when there are dozens of free-to-view channels.

It's intensely frustrating when I see a trailer for a program that interested me... and then at the end they casually mention that it's on some other channel, which is not a freeview channel.

I imagine it's intentional, in an attempt to get viewers to decide they need paid-for TV after all.

What they do here is sell a group of channels as this incredible value because not only will you get the one channel for the one show you want to see, you'll get 3 or 4 other channels full of things slightly related to the channel you care about. Uh well, that you care about for that one show.

For example The Food Network is part of our basic package but The Cooking Channel is part of a bundle where you also get the DIY (do it yourself) and FYI (for your information) channels.

For the sporting inclined The NFL Network is not available for a standalone price from most providers because they want you to take The Golf Channel and The Outdoors Channel with it because otherwise how else could the people running those networks claim to have paid subscribers?

The Disney Channel is part of the regular package but there are 3 other Disney kids channels.

We used to have free TV via antennas but that got legislated and technolgied away. Even then from what I understand if you weren't near a major city the choices were lacking. But growing up in the D.C. area we were lucky enough to get D.C. and Baltimore stations.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby cmsellers » Sat May 11, 2019 1:56 am

I've spent much of the last two weeks wearing socks. I remember now why I stopped wearing them, but sadly, there are some contexts where foot prisons are required.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby cmsellers » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:04 am

So I've mentioned, I think, the frustrations with my parking space being blocked off for construction. I've been parking in the supplementary parking for our unit, and until today got lucky, but today there was no parking there, so I had to park streetside. I took my car into a side street to do a three point turn so my car was turned around to face the direction everyone else was facing, tried parallel parking in one space, couldn't fit comfortably, chose another half a block more distant, climbed out onto the grass, and went back to my apartment.

Well, I got to my apartment and went "wait, I'm not supposed to have my driver's side door to the curb unless it's a one-way street, right?" I got a parking ticket for that back when I started driving. There too, I'd gone through extra trouble to turn my car around to face the way everyone else was facing, so I remember that rule quite well.

But somehow, I'd completely forgotten it today, and once again gone through extra trouble to turning my car around to face the way everyone else was parking, which turned out to be the wrong way. I don't think that parking enforcement in Austin usually bothers with parking that's neither permit-only nor metered, but just to be safe, I went back out and turned my car back around the right way.

Not counting my own car, I counted five cars facing the right direction and sixteen(!) facing the wrong way. What the hell is wrong with people?

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:51 am

I just got a mild burn on the middle segment of my left index finger as I was cooking eggs (at almost 2 AM like a normal person).

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby cmsellers » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:46 am

I was freaking out because I had a book due tomorrow (no renewals left), and didn't remember even checking it out. But it's the sort of book I would check out, so I went through all the places I keep library books without finding it, growing increasingly panicked.

Finally, I figured out that it looked almost identical to another book I'd checked out, which I'd put very near it. Only when I stepped back and saw the books together was I like "wait, there can't be two of this book, can there?"

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:18 pm

Figs are in season. Two would put me well out of ketosis, and I can't eat just one fig. For the first time since I started keto, I'm severely tempted to break my diet.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:37 pm

Would it help if I reminded you every fig had wasps die in there and get absorbed into the fruit as it grew? Or does that not gross you out?

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:14 am

Doesn't bother me, since the fig seeds are already so crunchy I don't notice a little wasp crunch. Thanks for trying, though.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Twistappel » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:13 pm

My birthday is next week, and since the Man-creature has to go to Salt Lake City for work, he booked us both train tickets, so we can make a mini-vacation of it. That bit's not the annoyance. I've wanted to go on an Amtrak trip ever since we moved to the US.

The annoyance is that he booked the tickets without checking the dates with me, and had completely forgotten that I had planned to have a potluck dinner with my friends, on my birthday. Now I will be spending the evening with his work colleagues instead.

I rate this as a "minor annoyance" rather than "grounds for divorce", because I tend not to make a big deal of my birthday (long, rather depressing story). The dinner with my friends wasn't planned as a birthday party, just something fun we had planned that happened to fall on my birthday. We're still having it on a less me-centric date.

But this is not helping with my long-standing belief that my birthday is cursed, and anything I plan for it will get ruined.

You say "New World Order" "communist echo chamber" like it's a bad thing.

The TCSer formerly known as "Sister Morphine’
Twistappel
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Failed the Turing Test

Postby NathanLoiselle » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:23 pm

I'd respond but then I'd have to say something funny. Which is annoying.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Malfeasinator » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:11 am

I feel like every time I move it's a new RPG larp for me. I'm level 1 and broke all over again when I get somewhere and have to figure things out as I go. I've done this enough times that I don't lose my shit over it anymore.

So here are the annoyances:

1. I kind of remember what this town and the next town over used to be like, but holy shit has there been a lot of new construction and it looks way different.

2. Job postings are requiring more and more things to have a bachelor's degree to start out. Stuff like General Manager of a restaurant. I've known plenty of disphits who were GMs, who never set foot on a college campus and probably couldn't remember ever reading a book outside of a school assignment, but nowadays, shit is just weird. The jobs haven't changed much, other than now there's some beep-boop touch screen stuff and some tablet apps to use maybe, but you don't need a degree for that.

3. I had a job that paid pretty well but was fairly sketchy and definitely temporary. It was going to end in October, or so I thought, but it looks like things have already imploded and everyone's hours have been cut severely. I don't know if I'm scheduled to work tomorrow, even, but fuck it if I am -- I have an interview somewhere else. I need stability.

4. I could have taken a job working as a carny for 3 months, but I didn't, and some part of me will always wonder what that could have been like.

5. I have become a more aggressive driver since I've arrived. Part of the job I have been doing requires me driving a rental car like 200 or so miles a day. I am usually super safe and slow, others have described me as being like a "grandma." Now I've become faster to accelerate and take more chances when I turn and just overall give a lot less of a damn than I used to. Here's the thing though: I get honked at WITH THE SAME FREQUENCY. I still get at least 2 honks a day no matter what style of driving I use. Florida drivers, man.

That's about it, for now. I'll be fine. Just need to establish stability. I had some of that in KY, but I was like a plant that had been pruned back to the ground and then suddenly transplanted. I only feel like I've become closer to the person I really am in the last few months. Maybe I've returned to the "real me" threshold. Or maybe I was just dormant and needed a jump.

It's all good. I joined a gym today. I'm going to work out tomorrow after that interview. After that, who knows.

Malfeasinator
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: this guy

Postby CarrieVS » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:27 pm

I have to catch a plane on Friday morning. They recommend arriving 2 hours early. Which is almost twice as long as the flight itself.

CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:50 am

CarrieVS wrote:I have to catch a plane on Friday morning. They recommend arriving 2 hours early. Which is almost twice as long as the flight itself.

Doesn't Britain have a pretty decent rail system?

Ever since the TSA was inflicted on America (and copied around the world), I try never to fly anywhere that ground transportation is remotely feasible.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

PreviousNext