Things that are things.

Discussion, in general

Re: Things that are things.

Postby IamNotCreepy » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:26 pm

On the way to work on Wednesday, I sneezed so hard I gave myself whiplash.

I was in really bad pain and couldn't turn my head. It hurt so much I had to go home. Even two days later, it still hurts. I can turn my head, but there's still a small knot of pain there.

The pleasures of getting old, I guess.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:42 pm

The store I work at is being liquidated to make room for the new company to move their inventory in. We're down to 4 endcaps and 2 large tables along with a giant peg rack that used to hold gift cards. It didn't sink in until a couple hours after I got home last night that I don't have to close the store anymore. I can finally retire the phrase "With Great Responsibility Comes No Pay Increase" from my vocabulary.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby CarrieVS » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:32 pm

I'm currently spending my first evening in my own house.

I love the house and I was really excited to move in, and definitely ready to have my own place and a permanent home. But now I'm here, and I've moved out of the flatshare where I lived very happily for three years, I'm having my usual reaction to change and especially to moving house, and I'm not very happy and not feeling very well right now. But I will get over all of that soon.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby jbobsully11 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:44 pm

I had two job interviews today... in opposite directions, and the second one was in the middle of nowhere (and would definitely only be for a year). Still, I think I did well on both of them.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby NathanLoiselle » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:04 pm

Jbobsully11. We're going to have to start calling you "Jbob, professional interviewee". We'll get you cards and everything.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:16 pm

NathanLoiselle wrote:Jbobsully11. We're going to have to start calling you "Jbob, professional interviewee". We'll get you cards and everything.

If I get the second job I interviewed for, you'll have to change it to "mutant professional interviewee"; it's a one-year QA job at a place that works with radioactive materials (for healthcare products), and about half the job is properly disposing of different kinds of waste. Almost all the rest is paperwork.

Actually, I kind of hope I don't get it; it's far away, and doesn't pay very well for the amount of red tape it involves. Oh, and one of the managers who interviewed me said they went through five other people already. I managed to stifle a laugh when I pictured him saying, "we hope you'll be test subject number six."

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:13 am

jbobsully11 wrote:I kind of hope I don't get it.

You can turn it down. Interviews are as much about you deciding if you want to work for them as vice versa.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby jbobsully11 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:36 pm

CarrieVS wrote:
jbobsully11 wrote:I kind of hope I don't get it.

You can turn it down. Interviews are as much about you deciding if you want to work for them as vice versa.

Yyeeeaah, but I kind of made it sound like I wanted to work there (not that it would be a problem for me anyway if I said no), and I’m not sure about the other jobs I’ve interviewed for; I do ultimately need a job of some sort. I just hope one of the other companies hires me first.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:36 am

Have y'all ever seen how weeaboos draw when they're not tracing directly from a manga? Most of them seem to draw the same way, in a sort of pseudo-anime style with pointier noses and less pointy hair.

This medieval drawing of Joan of Arc reminds me of that style.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby jbobsully11 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:09 pm

An uncle is getting some kind of award tomorrow, and we have to go down to Atlantic City (3 hours away) for it tonight. My brother has suddenly decided not to go (because he’s not-so-secretly an overgrown child). So there’s an ongoing argument about that (continued from almost every other time we’ve gone any somewhat long distance).

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:39 pm

I was mowing the lawn yesterday and there's a spot by a bush that used to be a groundhog's hole until I chased the bastard away a couple years ago. I *thought* that I filled it in with enough dirt to ruin it forever. Well like I said I was mowing the lawn yesterday.

I wear earplugs but still heard "meep meep meep", I thought it was a bird so I lifted up the mower and took a step back to avoid committing bloody murder. Rabbits. Like 5 or 6 baby bunnies came out of the hole and scattered. I was gobsmacked and worried I had hurt one. I didn't see any blood and they all ran away just fine, I'm certain if I even clipped one of them slightly it would've been obvious. Then one ran in the road.

O shit y'all. You know how in movies a small animal or personified thing is running in between cars and barely missing getting run over. That's what was going on. It was scary and I turned away because I didn't want to watch a baby bunny get crushed. Then I saw it run off the road into the neighbors yard. Crisis averted.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:52 am

My car was totaled last summer, and I looked at a bunch of dealerships for a replacement. This included one of the franchised new car dealers for the Austin area, and I guess somehow the salesman got me to give him my email address. I did not get it there because used cars at that dealership, and figured that was that, why would I tell every dealership I looked at that I'm going in a different direction?

Well, now seven, almost eight months later, I get an email asking if I'm still interested in one of the three cars I'd looked at there, and assuring me I can take my time to think about it. Which is kind of funny because when I went there, he told me if there was something I liked I should move fast, because most cars sell in 3-4 days.

My best guess is that this car isn't selling for whatever reason, so he went through the list of everybody who looked at that car since it arrived to see if he can discount it by whatever amount to get the damn thing off the lot.

Call me crazy, but I feel like even if I had managed seven months without buying a replacement car, that probably just means I discovered I don't need a car at all.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:04 pm

I finished my first week at my job, and I’m happy to report that I both like the work and am good at it. On my way home, I realized I forgot to confirm that I’m starting the second shift next week (Woohoo not waking up at 5:30 anymore!), but I’m pretty sure we’re all on the same page. They said I know everything I need to know.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:32 am

Apparently, Macy's blocks traffic from VPNs.

Because if there's one thing we know about department stores, it's that they're doing so well they can afford to turn away visitors to their online storefronts.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:11 pm

On one hand they probably see it as the online equivalent of you attempting to shop at a physical location while wearing Predator style camouflage. You're visible, just not in the right way to them.

On the other hand what if you're in a public place and want to do business with them and don't want to share your info with everybody?

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

PreviousNext