Minor annoyances

Discussion, in general

Re: Minor annoyances

Postby cmsellers » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:43 am

Some people near me are playing music pretty loud. I say "pretty loud," because it's not coming from the direction of a common area, so I assume it's inside, but it's only loud enough to be annoying if I have my window open, which I do, because this is a rare window where the outside weather is nice.

Fortunately, the kind of music and the volume they're playing it at is a lot less annoying that most of the music I've been subjected to from outside my apartment. It seems to be metal, so I don't like it, but because I can't make out any lyrics, I can almost tune it out, until someone screams and it recaptures my attention

But here's the reason it's annoying me, aside from the fact that it's nice weather out or I could avoid it by closing my window: most of the times when I hear music outside, it's within a few days of Austin City Limits or South by Southwest, the two main music festivals in the city. And guess what starts tomorrow? SXSW. So I feel like it's likely that whoever these people are are short-term renters, and "playing music too loud in residential neighborhoods" is a huge problem with short-term renters in Austin.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby cmsellers » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:12 am

After years of trimming my beard with scissors because I lost the charger to my beard trimmer, I finally brought a new beard trimmer. I then promptly forgot to put a guard on when trimming my left sideburn. I did the same thing to the right to even it out, but I still look kind of ridiculous. The good news is, hair grows back fairly quickly.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:39 pm

My father recently cut his hair and shaved off his beard. His 2-year-old granddaughter (my niece) now doesn't recognize him and gets scared whenever she sees him. I think I'll keep my beard.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:54 pm

I’m trying to track down a replacement dishwasher pump. I found a store that should have it, and supposedly they’re open, but when I called (this morning and again just a few minutes ago, at 3:45ish), I got an answering machine. They’re somewhat far, otherwise I’d just drive there.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby iMURDAu » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:30 pm

Aquila89 wrote:My father recently cut his hair and shaved off his beard. His 2-year-old granddaughter (my niece) now doesn't recognize him and gets scared whenever she sees him. I think I'll keep my beard.

My wife wears her hair up in the summer and down in the winter so people get used to seeing her one way or the other and seem to have a difficult time recognizing her if she's wearing her hair different. The Clark Kent "disguise" thing isn't very far fetched.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby NathanLoiselle » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:43 pm

Wait Superman IS Clark Kent???

I don't see it.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:24 pm

NathanLoiselle wrote:Wait Superman IS Clark Kent???

I don't see it.

old but relevant

Even though my phone swore there were coin wrappers at the dollar store in town, it was wrong. I had to go to three different places before I found them, hidden away on a bottom shelf. Also, TIL my Paypal debit card doesn’t work at a lot of ATMs.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:42 am

I'm trying to take an online course and I noticed the videos have transcripts. So I was like "great, I read way faster than anyone can speak!"

Then I clicked on a transcript and it was gibberish. Then I turned on the first video. The guy is Irish.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:58 pm

I knew it! I'm not racist! The Irish really do speak gibberish.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:58 pm

NathanLoiselle wrote:I knew it! I'm not racist! The Irish really do speak gibberish.

relevant Cyanide & Happiness

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:12 pm

I have written here about my wireless headphones picking up the wrong signals. Recently, as I was sitting before my computer, headphones on, a dramatic voice (from some commercial, probably) suddenly asked: "You are bothered by unpleasant armpit odor, aren't you?"

I'm more bothered by my headphones talking about it, unprompted...

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:23 pm

Aquila89 wrote:"You are bothered by unpleasant armpit odor, aren't you?"

Not since I cut off my arms.

Spoiler: show

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:07 pm

This is why you need bluetooth headphones with AptX. The sound quality isn't bad, it isn't great either but, and you don't get strange voices speaking to you. Unless you're schizophrenic, you aren't schizophrenic, are you? There is the potential to drop connection but I've actually never encountered that with a computer.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:49 pm

Or live in the past and use shielded cords. :lol:

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Aquila89 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:49 pm

NathanLoiselle wrote:This is why you need bluetooth headphones with AptX.

But those things are expensive and I don't have much money. My employment prospects are limited due to unpleasant armpit odor.

--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

PreviousNext