Procedure for leaving?

Things to guide you through this site.

Re: Procedure for leaving?

Postby ghijkmnop » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:07 pm

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby cmsellers » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:25 pm

But what benefit do you hope to derive from deleting your account?

TCS policy is that no account with any posts will ever be deleted, except spammers. You are demanding that TCS change its policy and do something that has never been done on here by deleting a verified user account.

And yet you're not explaining why you want your account deleted. What benefit are you anticipating which is so vital that TCS should make a policy change to accommodate you?

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby ghijkmnop » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:38 pm

Redacted

Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:52 pm

We understand how to make it possible for people to delete their own accounts but it’s our policy not to do so. A few people have asked us to delete their accounts and we declined. If you are interested in convincing us to change this policy we will need a reason. (Of course there is no guarantee your reason will change our mind but it would at least give me something to consider.)

I’m sorry you are leaving.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby ghijkmnop » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:38 pm

Redacted

Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:58 pm

I never would have joined if I had known I could never officially leave.

Then, surely, it was incumbent on you to ask that question when you joined, not years later. We don't have to write literally everything we do down, you can ask us questions if something is very important to you.

Please note that one of my reasons for a deletion request (as opposed to kludging my profile so I can't get back in) is that I don't want my account hacked and impersonated in the future. Yes, I understand that my username could possibly be re-used, but the posts and registration date, as well as IPs used would be easy to differentiate the fake me from the real me.

Why do you think this would happen? It's extremely unlikely that anyone would even think to do that. Even if they did, having an existing account which you have access to would make it way less likely we would mistake someone impersonating you for you. If we deleted the account we would lose things like the IP, email and information. Also it would free up the exact same username for use. Deleting the account wouldn't actually solve the problem you're presenting here.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby ghijkmnop » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:47 am

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:34 am

ghijkmnop wrote:
Marcuse wrote:
I never would have joined if I had known I could never officially leave.

Then, surely, it was incumbent on you to ask that question when you joined, not years later. We don't have to write literally everything we do down, you can ask us questions if something is very important to you.

And how would that would be accomplished without actually signing up and then being trapped for life? You do understand that the more you refuse, the more like a cult this becomes.

I've been around cults, this isn't a cult. We aren't telling you how to live your life, nor are we asking for money, we're just a forum on the Internet.

If you want to leave, just don't visit any website that includes "www.thecommentsection.org" and you'll be free. We can't make you come back and post more, and it's not our responsibility to make sure you don't. That's up to you and your self-control.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby cmsellers » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:43 am

A cult? Seriously, dude, you can leave anytime. Marc has already explained why your complaints about impersonation make no sense, and if you want closure, you're perfectly free to change your password to something random to prevent you from ever accessing it again.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:03 am

I don't think his reasons for wanting to delete his profile are illegitimate. With that said, is this going to turn into some kind of Brexit thing? 'Cause we have a thread for that. (You know, the old "We have an app for that".)

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby ghijkmnop » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:04 am

Redacted

Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Kate » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:14 am

I'm on hiatus so not speaking for staff here, but dude. This has been policy for everyone who has asked this same question for what, 6 years now?

Almost 6 years.

It makes things easier to not delete accounts, for a handful of reasons. People are trying to listen to you and accommodate you within the framework of this long-standing policy. "Well if you don't run your site the way I want you to, you are just a cult!" is among the least mature and compelling reasons I have ever heard for changing policy or for making someone an exception to the policy.

You are upset that your request is being denied. That is understandable. But I highly doubt it is going to change, and you aren't making a great case for why it should or communicating in a way that would particularly incline people to change policy for you. Well, I mean, that might just be me, but condescension, insults, pouting and demanding don't really do it for me personally.

If you want to quit, you can. Log out. Never come back. We will be worse off without you, but I absolutely get leaving a community. Heck, I get leaving this community. But it's not really difficult to do.

JT's Art Thread - JamesT's awesome stuff.
Kate
Gul DuKate
Gul DuKate

Show rep
Title: Sheepwoman

Postby Tesseracts » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:29 am

You can leave any time you want. The procedure is you just stop posting. Nobody has to give you permission to leave or allow you to leave. If you continue to post here it's because you want to. For technical reasons it may be a problem to delete users from the database, I'm not certain about how that words so maybe a backend admin would know. Deleting users also makes it confusing to look at the history of conversations. So, we don't do it. If you are concerned about impersonation or anything I'm certain we can come up with ways to accommodate that concern without deleting an account.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby cmsellers » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:40 am

If you change your password to something really really long and truly random, there is absolutely no way anybody will be able to crack your password. If you also change your email address to an @thecommentsection.org address, then it's an email address which will never exist as long as TCS does, meaning there's no way anyone can ever again get access to your account.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby ghijkmnop » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:42 am

Redacted

Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

PreviousNext