Things that are things.

Discussion, in general

Re: Things that are things.

Postby iMURDAu » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:07 pm

We got an email from a seller on Amazon that we bought dust masks from saying they're refunding our order and sending a better replacement. They are doing this based on the 3 star review that was left.

We have yet to review the product. It was about to get a 5 star rating from us but idk what to think now. I reported the email to Amazon as... weird, basically.

EDIT:

The confusion stemmed from another buyer named D.Jones who left a 3 star review. The seller is still going through with the refund and replacement even after I let them know they did it by mistake. I went ahead and left a 5 star review for the masks.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby cmsellers » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:02 am

I realized that I apparently say "a atheist" as easily as I do "an atheist." I only realize this because I typed out "a atheist," my grammar checker highlighted it, and it took me a long moment for me to realize what was wrong, and that somehow, it doesn't sound weird.

So I started going through and seeing if any other words starting with vowel sounds also don't sound weird after "a." I found a surprising number of them, but I can't find any clear pattern. Why does "a atheist" and "a uncle" sound fine to me, but "a acorn" and a "a undertaker" sound so wrong I can barely say them? My best guess is that other people are using the wrong indefinite article for the first two, and I've become desensitized to it, but I don't really know if that's the case.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby jbobsully11 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:55 pm

I wasn’t sure if I should put this here or in Carrie’s thread in The Great Library, but it’s not a question so I’m putting it here. Someone (Timothy Browning at IST Austria) recently found three cubic numbers that sum to 33. I can’t seem to find how long this was an open problem, but I’m guessing it’s been quite a while.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:07 am

Only mathematicians would look at it and say "My God! That's a problem that needs to be solved!"

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:28 am

Non-mathematicians have this idea that maths is supposed to be useful. No no no no. We just play with numbers for fun. They make pretty patterns.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby jbobsully11 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:24 pm

Over a month and a half ago, in a different thread, I wrote:I filed my taxes last night. I started them the day before, but the site wouldn’t let me submit anything right away because reasons. Anyway, I should be getting a refund worth a little over one week’s pay.

I got the federal refund pretty quickly, but the New Jersey one still hasn't come yet. So I went on the state website, and it says it was processed on (tomorrow's date). Thanks, Obama Christie Murphy.

So hopefully I'll get it soon.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:09 pm

CarrieVS wrote:Non-mathematicians have this idea that maths is supposed to be useful. No no no no. We just play with numbers for fun. They make pretty patterns.

I remember someone on here trying to explain the concept of mathematical beauty to me by linking me to a pdf where some mathematician was spouting off about how you can fit an infinite number of squares into another square. Y'all are way to easily impressed.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby CarrieVS » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:21 pm

Deathclaw_Puncher wrote:I remember someone on here trying to explain the concept of mathematical beauty to me by linking me to a pdf where some mathematician was spouting off about how you can fit an infinite number of squares into another square. Y'all are way to easily impressed.

Some of the really elegant and pretty things about maths are kind of hard to appreciate unless you're versed in the subject to a certain extent. But other things... this is what I prefer to link to when trying to convince laypersons that there is beauty in numbers.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby iMURDAu » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:05 am

Got a bangin' sign from an Etsy seller (lovejoystore) to commemorate our home purchase! It wasn't even $100 total!
homeplaque.jpg
homeplaque.jpg (70.27 KiB) Viewed 3589 times

Now feel free to talk about the sign or debate the color of my walls.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:28 am

Nice, that's a very cheap house price!

Sorry :P the sign is lovely {{{Murda and family}}}

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: =)

Postby jbobsully11 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:33 am

That’s the exact same shade of blue that most of the rooms in my house are, murda. Except here it’s painted over textured wallpaper because the 75+ years’ worth of other wallpaper that was here didn’t exactly scrape off evenly.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Pedgerow » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:58 am

Do you like rum? If you don't, then please don't click this link, but your very excellent house sign really reminds me of the Old J logo.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: PWOT refugee

Postby cmsellers » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:21 am

Dammit, now I need a sign if I want to keep up with the Joneses.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby iMURDAu » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:20 pm

Ladki, that was a great joke. I seem to have set myself up for that one.

jbob, I was seriously going to ask for "the same shade" of blue whenever we end up needing to repaint. It's good to know that seems to be an actual color since your dwelling is done in the same shade of blue. *nods head intellectually*

Pedro, idk why I called you that Pedgerow, I'm okay with rum. I think the Old J logo is much fancier than the block J on my sign tho.

sellers, you will now also require a wicker basket that was used for produce displays as I got one for cheap. It has a metal base with a faux patina. Don't pull a back muscle picking up the gauntlet.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:12 am

It’s also possible that my mom got some weird custom shade, though.

I just found out this Star Wars-related t-shirt exists, and I may have laughed harder than I should:
Spoiler: show

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

PreviousNext