JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Re: The rant thread.

Postby Krashlia » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:16 pm

The actual "Gamer-gate" problem
Because insider industry, and the journalists in them, are the voices of the privileged. And a good portion of them who just so happen to be part of the liberal, progressive, and woke crowd (story for another post), have decided that most of the content to be found presented messages unsatisfactory to their sensibilities (not that they have to like it all. Its their right to take issue with art).

However, a few things may have happened:

1) Companies confuse their voices with popular demand. Again, the voices of these journalists and industry insiders are that of a privileged group.

2) Some of the industry insiders and journalists actually do approve of censorship, and push for it, because they think censoring some art and promoting others is the path to social changes they desire.

3) Heres a more complex issue: Corruption and compromise.
Its long been known that Video Game companies pay Reporters and Reviewers for positive reviews. So, whenever these video game companies do things customers don't like, they can always pay journalists and reviewers and rely on them to spin it positively to make the company look better, if not convince customers that their problems aren't real.

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:14 pm

I just tried to swipe in at work, and my ID was acting up. I went up to the guy at the desk who gives out guest slips, and he told me I got fired. That would have been nice to know before I woke up at 5:15 and drove all the way down here in below-freezing temperatures, but whatever. (Seriously, at least I’m not emotionally attached to the work or the people.)

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby cmsellers » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:14 pm

Didn't you mention you were close to the point where this company would have to make you permanent and give you a raise?

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby jbobsully11 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:38 pm

cmsellers wrote:Didn't you mention you were close to the point where this company would have to make you permanent and give you a raise?

Yyup. I checked earlier, and apparently that would’ve been this week (starting today).

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:39 pm

Wow, they timed that perfectly, the assholes. I am so sorry.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:21 pm

On Monday, I wrote:I just tried to swipe in at work, and my ID was acting up. I went up to the guy at the desk who gives out guest slips, and he told me I got fired. That would have been nice to know before I woke up at 5:15 and drove all the way down here in below-freezing temperatures, but whatever. (Seriously, at least I’m not emotionally attached to the work or the people.)

An unexpected epilogue: I got a call a little while ago from someone at the staffing agency, and he wanted to know why I haven’t been showing up. When I told him what happened (“the last time I did that, they told me I don’t work there anymore, and by the way, I left a message with someone at your company the same day”), he acted totally confused, and asked if I would still want to work there when/if everything got straightened out. I probably should have said yes, but I’m done getting jerked around by them.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:45 pm

So they didn't like you enough to make you permanent, but did like you enough that they fired you and then wanted to restart the clock?

That sucks, I'm sorry.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:21 pm

cmsellers wrote:So they didn't like you enough to make you permanent, but did like you enough that they fired you and then wanted to restart the clock?

That sucks, I'm sorry.

Or “one hand doesn’t know what the other one is doing,” so to speak. In any case, they’re either incompetent or evil, and I’m not putting up with that.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:04 am

jbobsully11 wrote:Or “one hand doesn’t know what the other one is doing,” so to speak. In any case, they’re either incompetent or evil, and I’m not putting up with that.

That's really going to limit your job opportunities, I'm afraid.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:34 am

Absentia wrote:
jbobsully11 wrote:Or “one hand doesn’t know what the other one is doing,” so to speak. In any case, they’re either incompetent or evil, and I’m not putting up with that.

Well, shit. How about just “all the higher-ups know who’s working for them,” then?

If not, I guess I’ll start... growing drugs to sell? That’s how that works, right? tutoring kids in subjects I know, or something.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:43 am

I'd tutor kids in how to grow drugs but I don't know how to grow drugs. Perhaps you could tutor me?

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:45 am

I swear I’m like this guy from XKCD...

I tried to print out my resume on my mom’s computer (the only one with a working printer) this morning, and I couldn’t get it to print any bigger than a roughly 1:30 scale. No one on the internet seemed to know of this problem existing, so that’s fun. I restarted everything and left it alone for a few hours, and now it mostly works, unless it feels like spitting out a blank page.

On an unrelated note, I have bronchitis.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Malfeasinator » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:58 am

jbobsully11 wrote:
Absentia wrote:

Well, shit. How about just “all the higher-ups know who’s working for them,” then?

If not, I guess I’ll start... growing drugs to sell? That’s how that works, right? tutoring kids in subjects I know, or something.

"So, hey, kids, today we'll be learning about magic mushroom spores. They're legal to get in most states, in syringes even. You really want to spring for quality strains up front, because you can always make spore prints later and as far as growing medium and supplies go, with a little research and a trip to Walmart you can... oooooh snap, looks like the po-po's here... Well, it looks like this is our last class. No refunds."

Malfeasinator
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: this guy

Postby NathanLoiselle » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:50 pm

I just blew a buck fifty on a dryer that doesn't work. And I had to take an additional hour out of my day to dry the clothing in another dryer. #dryerproblems amiright?

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

PreviousNext