Mueller Bombshell: Cohen was in Prague

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Mueller Bombshell: Cohen was in Prague

Postby Absentia » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:26 pm

https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/investigations/article219016820.html

A report from McClatchy DC (an outlet that has gotten some big scoops in the past) indicates that Robert Mueller has evidence that Trump's personal lawyer Michael Cohen was in Prague to meet with Russian officials in August 2016. The evidence includes cell tower records of Cohen's phone and an intercepted conversation between Russians. McClatchy claims they have verified the story with four independent sources.

This is significant because the infamous Steele Dossier alleged that this meeting took place and that it was essentially ground zero of the Trump/Russia collusion scheme. Cohen allegedly discussed how to channel money to Russian hackers targeting the Clinton campaign, and how to conceal the Trump campaign's involvement. Cohen has repeatedly denied that he has ever been to Prague.

Obviously this is a huge deal if true. It's the sort of evidence that would show up in articles of impeachment, although I'm sure Congress will wait until they get the full report from Mueller before they commit to anything publicly.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Re: Mueller Bombshell: Cohen was in Prague

Postby Absentia » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:26 pm

What's that? A shady meeting in Europe between a top Trump subordinate and a Russian agent?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jan/08/manafort-russian-poll-share-konstantin-kilimnik-trump-investigation-2016-election-latest?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

In Paul Manafort's ongoing campaign to be named the Most Incompetent Criminal Ever, his lawyers failed to properly redact parts of a court filing in response to Mueller's accusation that he lied to investigators. So now we know what he lied about: While he was still Trump's campaign chairman, Manafort traveled to Madrid and met with a former associate from his Ukraine days and close ally of Vladimir Putin, Konstantin Kilimnik. Manafort allegedly turned over internal polling data from the campaign and discussed "Ukrainian peace plans," which is presumably a euphemism for the expected easing of the US posture towards Russia under the Trump administration.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Windy » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:34 am

Talking to yourself is a sign of insanity you know

Windy
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Crimson847 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:01 am

Windy wrote:Talking to yourself is a sign of insanity you know

Talking to yourself is perfectly normal. The danger sign is when you wrongly believe someone else is talking back.

That being said, is a professor delivering a lecture "talking to themselves" because they're talking and no one's responding?

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby SandTea » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:41 am

As long as you're nice to yourself, it's a sign of good health. I do think a "what did you talk to yourself about today" thread would be fun though.

To get sort of back on track; That Steele Dossier, among other things, prompted the FBI to do their own investigation.

Mr. Trump had caught the attention of F.B.I. counterintelligence agents when he called on Russia during a campaign news conference in July 2016 to hack into the emails of his opponent, Hillary Clinton. Mr. Trump had refused to criticize Russia on the campaign trail, praising President Vladimir V. Putin. And investigators had watched with alarm as the Republican Party softened its convention platform on the Ukraine crisis in a way that seemed to benefit Russia.

Other factors fueled the F.B.I.’s concerns, according to the people familiar with the inquiry. Christopher Steele, a former British spy who worked as an F.B.I. informant, had compiled memos in mid-2016 containing unsubstantiated claims that Russian officials tried to obtain influence over Mr. Trump by preparing to blackmail and bribe him.

So we've potentially gotten some substantiated info from that dossier. Lets see if there's (probably) more. I'd love to see hannity going on for an hour about 'the pee tape'.

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus