Minor annoyances

Discussion, in general

Re: Minor annoyances

Postby Anglerphobe » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:49 pm

People insisting that C. megalodon is still extant and undiscovered in the oceans of the world, despite the fact that is an animal which would leave a gigantic ecological footprint in the most easily studied parts of the ocean. Doubly so when it involves the belief that it must survive in the unexplored deep ocean trenches, a notion so stupid it makes my head hurt.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby jbobsully11 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:49 pm

I just bought a sandwich from a vending machine, and when I tried to put ketchup on it, both bottles actually had hot sauce in them.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby cmsellers » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:19 pm

Anglerphobe wrote:People insisting that C. megalodon is still extant and undiscovered in the oceans of the world, despite the fact that is an animal which would leave a gigantic ecological footprint in the most easily studied parts of the ocean. Doubly so when it involves the belief that it must survive in the unexplored deep ocean trenches, a notion so stupid it makes my head hurt.

Cryptozoology makes for fun speculation. It is the only pseudoscience I approve of. Well, besides economics.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby jbobsully11 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:52 pm

I accidentally left my coat (and employee ID badge, box cutter, and ice gloves in the pockets) at my sister’s house (over an hour away) two days ago. She was supposed to bring it with her when she, my mom, and my brother went to a cousin’s house in Pennsylvania yesterday, but she forgot it. So I’ll be signing the guest book on my way into work, wearing two sweatshirts, and borrowing someone else’s box cutter for at least the next few days.

The really annoying part is that I wasn’t even going to wear it there, but decided to at the last minute in case it got cold outside.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby Aquila89 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:42 pm

I have wireless headphones for my computer, and they work fine when I'm listening to something. But when I'm not, they have a tendency to pick other signals. And for some reason, that is a lot louder than the sounds coming from my computer. So I'm sitting before the screen, and all of a sudden a radio announcer starts speaking into my ears in a loud, distorted voice. That can be distracting.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:07 am

Aquila89 wrote:I have wireless headphones for my computer, and they work fine when I'm listening to something. But when I'm not, they have a tendency to pick other signals. And for some reason, that is a lot louder than the sounds coming from my computer. So I'm sitting before the screen, and all of a sudden a radio announcer starts speaking into my ears in a loud, distorted voice. That can be distracting.

Your headphones run at 2.4Ghz don't they? Alot of things broadcast at 2.4Ghz. I'd say switch to wired, because the fidelity is better but you'll never notice because you bought cheap headphones you bastard you, but you probably can't due to some issue with the computer or whatever is broadcasting your music.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:45 pm

TV narrator: "Milling(see notes, A) is similar to boxing, but with fewer rules. None in fact. *Goes on to list milling's many rules.*"

Me: *Furiously posts on the internet*

Notes
Milling is a British military tradition associated with the elite Parachute Regiment, but also practiced by other branches of the services. It consists of two men, who are paired according to weight and wear 18 ounce boxing gloves, mouth guards and head guards, throwing unrelenting punches into each other's faces for one full minute, or until at least one of them can't continue. The practice is very rigid and ritualistic, being done according to several strict rules. You can only punch the head of your opponent, you can't deliberately avoid punches in any way (no deliberate blocking, dodging, clinching etc) and you aren't allowed to stop throwing until the minute is up. It also shares many rules with boxing, such as prohibiting any attacks other than punches and prohibiting attacks against a man who is down. Needless to say "similar to boxing, but with no rules" is pretty far off target.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby Aquila89 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:32 pm

NathanLoiselle wrote:I'd say switch to wired, because the fidelity is better but you'll never notice because you bought cheap headphones you bastard you, but you probably can't due to some issue with the computer or whatever is broadcasting your music.

I used to have wired headphones, but several times I got entangled in the wire and accidentally pulled the headphones down from the table when I stood up, and they eventually broke. And besides, I already have too many wires around my computer as it is.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:59 pm

Anglerphobe wrote:TV narrator: "Milling(see notes, A) is similar to boxing, but with fewer rules. None in fact. *Goes on to list milling's many rules.*"

Notes
Milling is a British military tradition associated with the elite Parachute Regiment, but also practiced by other branches of the services. It consists of two men, who are paired according to weight and wear 18 ounce boxing gloves, mouth guards and head guards, throwing unrelenting punches into each other's faces for one full minute, or until at least one of them can't continue. The practice is very rigid and ritualistic, being done according to several strict rules. You can only punch the head of your opponent, you can't deliberately avoid punches in any way (no deliberate blocking, dodging, clinching etc) and you aren't allowed to stop throwing until the minute is up. It also shares many rules with boxing, such as prohibiting any attacks other than punches and prohibiting attacks against a man who is down. Needless to say "similar to boxing, but with no rules" is pretty far off target.

"Pok-ta-pok is similar to soccer, but with smaller balls and somewhat less violence."

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:45 am

Aquila89 wrote:I used to have wired headphones, but several times I got entangled in the wire and accidentally pulled the headphones down from the table when I stood up, and they eventually broke. And besides, I already have too many wires around my computer as it is.

You could try bluetooth but they're about $50 to $100 more for the same quality and you need to spend about $300 in order to get ones that put out quality audio and don't disconnect all the time.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:19 pm

Anglerphobe wrote:TV narrator: "Milling(see notes, A) is similar to boxing, but with fewer rules. None in fact. *Goes on to list milling's many rules.*"

Notes

Yeah no rules means I'm bringing a weapon along. Maybe a few people to help me also.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby cmsellers » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:56 am

So I've lost about 50 pounds, and I'm having trouble keeping my pants up (except the ones I wear with a belt), and thought "you know what, even at my starting weight, 50 lbs should have shrunk my waistline a bit, I should go buy a tape measure and find out what size I am." So I went to Target, and I figured while I was there I should get a scale. Well, I found the scale fine, and since there were four the same price, decided to get the one that takes regular batteries and goes to 400 (as opposed to 350, even though I hope I never need that again), simply because why would I buy an inferior product for the same price?

Couldn't find the tape measure, so I flagged an employee down, and oh, turns out they're out of both kinds they carry. I thought about waiting to get the scale until tomorrow or later, which is the next credit card period, but there was only one of those and I was worried they'd be out of those when I came back, so I got it anyways. But now to get the tape measure, I have to either wait until Target gets more in, go to WalMart or Joann Fabrics (both 20 minutes away to Target's 10), or figure out some place close by that would sell tape measures.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Kivutar » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:32 am

Congrats on losing 50 pounds, though!

Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Hosea 3:1
Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Great Librarian

Postby SandTea » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:37 am

cmsellers wrote:So I've lost about 50 pounds, and I'm having trouble keeping my pants up (except the ones I wear with a belt)

Congrats!

As a suggestion and maybe related sort of minor annoyance contribution would be about suspenders. I don't care what people think, suspenders are cool. I'm not sure if they're called something else in other cultures so here's a picture to clarify.
Spoiler: show

Suspenders don't make your now oversized pants bunch up and you don't have to thread a belt through 8 loops to use. I just think they're underrated.

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby cmsellers » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:08 am

Thanks, guys. I still have a long ways to go though. I will look into suspenders; that's a good idea.

Also, Kate has pointed out to me that I said "tape measure" when I meant "measuring tape."

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

PreviousNext