What Are You Currently Reading?

Books Matter.

Re: What Are You Currently Reading?

Postby 52xMax » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:25 am

IMPORTANT PSA: I would suggest everyone who has an audible membership or a free trial to get on this week as there's a pretty great summer 2x1 sale, with a wide selection of titles. I've already spent the six credits I had saved, and thinking of buying a couple extra ones, especially considering some of the books on sale include complete collections and full cast readings, and you can get two of those (days worth of content) for a single audible credit. Sale ends this Sunday.

Pro-tip if you're interested in the free trial: look for referral links that say you can get 2 free books instead of just one (which in this case would translate to four free books if you use them on the 2x1 sale). You can still cancel before your free month is up and keep the books, or modify your subscription so you only pay for a single credit a month at a pretty reasonable rate. Just be warned, even though audible is an Amazon company, you need to use a credit card for all your transactions, and you can't use Amazon gift cards or credit you get back if you're refunded for items sold through Amazon.

You can still buy audible audiobooks through the Amazon main site without a membership, but they are each sold at different rates (just like Kindle books, depending on length, date of publication, popularity, etc), but they're 10% cheaper for members. So if you're interested in an audiobook that's normally priced at $5.50 (like novellas or collections of short stories), you can get it at $5 through audible while your membership is active, without having to spend a $15 credit for which you can get an audiobook priced at $75, such as the complete collection of Sherlock Holmes novels and short stories read by Stephen Fry.

"When in doubt... well, don't ask me!"
52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Salmon the Wise

Postby jbobsully11 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:21 am

I finished The Farthest Shore and started reading Psycho, by Robert Bloch (the book that the Alfred Hitchcock movie is based on). I downloaded Alanna, The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce as my second audiobook, and have been listening to it on and off. I don’t think the chapters are divided up right, which is weird, but it’s not bad so far.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:28 am

"Anarchism", by Peter Kropotkin

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby SilverMaple » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:11 pm

This is more of a "recently read" than a "currently reading" thing, but not too long ago I went through the entire Dark Tower series by Stephen King after a long period of not reading anything besides textbooks. It took me ~3 weeks and I did basically nothing else in my free time because I was hooked.

Maybe it's just because I've been out of the reading loop for so long, but it's one of the best things I've ever read, and I'm now trying to read as many Stephen King books as I can since there are a lot of references to characters and events from his other books throughout the series. Would definitely recommend to anyone who enjoys geeking out over detailed fantasy worlds as much as I do.

Bert wrote:The best part of my job is fistfighting an 8 year old every day.

//Friend come and go, like the wave in the ocean, but true ones stay like an octopus on our face.\\
SilverMaple
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Nerd of a Feather

Postby ftl » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:36 am

I recently finished reading Exit Strategy by Martha Wells. It's corporate-dystopian scifi, the fourth and last in a series titled "The Murderbot Diaries" that starts with "All Systems Red."

Really, anything by Martha Wells has fantastic worldbuilding with intricate history. Her Raksura Chronicles are great and the Ile-Rien series is great too.

ftl
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:10 am

I stopped listening to Alanna, The First Adventure when my phone battery was acting up a while ago, but I should start again.

I've started Tehanu (from the Earthsea series) and Rethinking Positive Thinking, by Gabrielle Oettingen, about how imagining the best outcomes (among other strategies often touted by motivational speakers) isn't always the most effective way to motivate oneself. It's a pretty interesting read.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby cmsellers » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:15 pm

I just finished reading Dichronauts by Greg Egan. Egan is a mathematician, and the book takes place in a universe which has two dimensions of time and two dimensions of space. I could not envision how it works more than vaguely, but I still thought it was an excellent and fascinating book. Then I looked at reviews, and most people were complaining that they had trouble getting through because they tried to understand the book as they read. And now I'm wondering if I read it in the wrong way.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Aquila89 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:22 pm

I've just read Thud! by Terry Pratchett and I'm sad to say that I didn't like it very much - too grim. Earlier Discworld novels were mostly comedic with some serious bits. But some later ones, like this one or Night Watch are mostly serious with some funny bits - except the funny bits aren't as funny and the serious parts aren't as poignant as they used to be.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Pedgerow » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:50 am

My sister got me The Last Dog on Earth, by Adrian J Walker, for my birthday last year, and I have just spent the past few days reading it and absolutely loving it. Really, it could well be one of my favourite books of all time. It's a post-apocalyptic adventure story, largely written from the perspective of a dog, and it's hilarious and exciting and terrifying and brilliant and sad from start to finish. It gets pretty dark and serious later on, but the writing style is so energetic and upbeat and permanently entertaining that you just keep on blazing through, having the time of your life on every page until it's over. I wouldn't normally post in a thread to tell you I was reading a book, because you don't care, but this time is different. It doesn't matter that I've read it; what matters is that you read it. Read it now, for the love of God. To temper your expectations, I will say that the book suffers from an unsympathetic human character, some heavy-handed political analogues and the occasional spelling mistake, but other than that, it's very good and I recommend it unreservedly. Also, if you're wondering,
Spoiler: show
no, the dog doesn't die

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: PWOT refugee

Postby NathanLoiselle » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:05 am

I'm reading this website called TCS, that's for The Comment Section, and it's pretty good. I mean it's not excellent but it's pretty good.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:29 pm

Pedegrow, I would recommend you read City, a collection of eight linked stories by Clifford Simak. It's a similar premise: dogs and robots are the only ones left in a postapocalyptic world, however Clifford Simak is definitely a good writer. He's nearly unknown today among younger readers, like nearly all older SF writers, but among people familiar with older SF he's one of the names who will come up often, and for good reason.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby DanteHoratio » Thu May 23, 2019 2:41 pm

I was reaching the Sherlock Holmes novels, but currently, I'm now reading Star Wars Darth Plagueis novel.

"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself." -Mark Twain

"I couldn't live a week without a private library - indeed, I'd part with all my furniture and squat and sleep on the floor before I'd let go of the 1500 or so books I possess." -HP Lovecraft
DanteHoratio
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep
Title: Let's get dangerous

Postby NathanLoiselle » Thu May 23, 2019 6:51 pm

I'm still reading that The Comment Section website. God, will it never end?

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Sat May 25, 2019 7:20 pm

We're gonna be here until the Sun explodes, baby!

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby iMURDAu » Sat May 25, 2019 9:33 pm

We tied ourselves to that rag?

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

PreviousNext