Fallout 76 Announced!

What are you playing. Hands out of your pockets!

Re: Fallout 76 Announced!

Postby KleinerKiller » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:48 am

Apparently I'm not a complete crackpot. Fallout 76 is going in hard on the local cryptids; nearly every new monster shown off in the trailers is named and modeled after one, though the winged monster is something different.

Mothman hasn't been seen yet, but I can't imagine they would ignore the most well-known of them all. The video points to a museum for it on the map, but my money's on either a boss fight at Silver Bridge or the fabled TNT factory being a spooky raid dungeon.

Bizarre as it is, this is the first thing about this game that actually excites me (still not enough to get me to buy it yet, given all the other problems, but it's something). It fits in well with Fallout's goofier side -- which has already featured aliens for a while -- and I'm super interested in cryptid mythology and kooky backwoods monster sightings. Seeing some of the obscurest and weirdest ones realized in a triple-A title is genuinely cool.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby KleinerKiller » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:35 pm

New details have surfaced about the game from its QuakeCon panel.

The things that interest me most have to do with the PVP system. PVP is unlocked only for players above level 5, and damage numbers are relatively baselined between low-level and high-level players, going some way toward preventing people from griefing beginners. It's also opt-in -- you trigger it by firing at someone to do a minuscule amount of damage, and if they choose to retaliate, only then do weapons do full damage. You can also opt out completely by marking yourself as a pacifist, completely preventing PVP damage.

Killing someone who doesn't want to PVP with you makes you a wanted murderer, and you get no caps or XP from the kill. Murderers are also marked on the map and players are pushed to go hunt them down for rewards; the murderers, meanwhile, lose the ability to see anyone else coming on the map, and the reward if they're killed is extracted from their own inventory.

It's frankly a brilliant system to combat assholes, even if people will still find ways to be assholes because it's the nature of online gaming. I'm still so-so on the idea and core systems of the game and don't know whether I'll check it out, but it at least shows that Todd Howard and crew are bringing forward some good ideas.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:57 am

You dare question our Lord and Saviour, Todd Howard?

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Anglerphobe » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:54 pm

This is a debut in the south for the Fallout series isn't it? I wonder whether they held off before because of the problems with doing their usual nods to mid-twentieth century culture in the setting of the KKK and stubborn segregation laws. They could simply ignore the whole issue, but there will be an elephant in the room if they do.

Not that I would doubt the wisdom of Godd Howard, of course.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby IamNotCreepy » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:11 pm

Anglerphobe wrote:This is a debut in the south for the Fallout series isn't it? I wonder whether they held off before because of the problems with doing their usual nods to mid-twentieth century culture in the setting of the KKK and stubborn segregation laws. They could simply ignore the whole issue, but there will be an elephant in the room if they do.

Not that I would doubt the wisdom of Godd Howard, of course.

I find it weird to consider WV the South, considering its geographic location within the US. It's certainly rural, but depending on where in WV the game takes place, it's roughly the same latitude as the Capital Wasteland and more North than New Vegas.

Also, the state was actually formed during Civil War by breaking off with the Confederate Virginia and joining the Union.

Interestingly, there is a lot of debate as to what is considered the South.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby Anglerphobe » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:51 pm

It was the south at the time of the war. The United States has literally outgrown the geographic distinctions of the mid nineteenth century in the time since then. In any case, as far as the time period the Fallout series evokes is concerned, there's a strong argument for putting West Virginia in the south. It was one of the states which didn't repeal its anti-miscegenation laws until 1967, for example. Alongside it in that were all of the classic southern states.

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:09 pm

This just released. Is anyone here playing? Any thoughts? Comments?

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:05 am

It's certainly has a different feel to it. I actually kind of like the real time element, where the pipboy doesn't pause and there's no VATS. There's something oddly charming about fending off two liberators with an axe while you're trying to sleep in a sleeping bag in the middle of a bombed out highway.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:08 pm

Well, after a beta plagued by frankly ridiculous bugs right up to the week before release (culminating in the discovery that the beta is impossible to uninstall without buying the game), the thing I feared would happen has already immediately happened: players figured out how to hack the nukes.

Yeah, I don't think I'm playing this one, Mothman or no Mothman.

KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:44 pm

The silt bean has apparently been relegated to being an epoxy in 76. The silt bean is the mutated descendant of the coffee cherry. You're repairing weapons with coffee. Coffee. Bethesda, why?

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:37 pm

KleinerKiller wrote:Well, after a beta plagued by frankly ridiculous bugs right up to the week before release

Bethesda... Bethesda never changes.

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:42 pm

Anglerphobe wrote:
KleinerKiller wrote:Well, after a beta plagued by frankly ridiculous bugs right up to the week before release

Bethesda... Bethesda never changes.

From what I've seen of the game, the bugs are even worse than that. Things like being spawned in among groups of enemies with your weapons unequipped, freezing enemies, server drops that kick you out of the game are apparently pretty common. Also stuff that makes no sense like clunky menus that you have to navigate in real time (and are completely killable for) and an empty world without any proper NPCs makes it seem like a boring experience to me. It looks shiny in terms of graphics, but there's no depth to the quests (collect ten bottles. Great.) to make me think I want to get into it. I can't imagine what the game will be like when they start selling DLC and in-game microtransactions.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:45 am

Going to just leave this compilation of bugs from F76 here. I think my favourite is how your character runs faster if you look at the floor because you don't load as much stuff. There's a clip of two people testing this by having a running race, and the one looking down runs faster in comparison to another player.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:58 am

Marcuse wrote:

Going to just leave this compilation of bugs from F76 here. I think my favourite is how your character runs faster if you look at the floor because you don't load as much stuff. There's a clip of two people testing this by having a running race, and the one looking down runs faster in comparison to another player.

My favorite part from that video is that the game apparently has zero server encryption or client-side cheat detection, meaning that hackers can cheat virtually unpunished and easily gain access to any other user's IP address, in order to screw with their experience or just forcibly disconnect them from the game at will.

And that the griefing management system I was actually impressed with is rendered entirely moot, because slain PVP players will respawn quickly within a few feet of where they died.

Hmmmmm... looks like everyone who was pissed when this game was announced turned out to be right in the end? Fancy that.

KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby SandTea » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:31 pm

Some dudes launched 3 nukes and crashed the server. :lol:

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster