Sports section?

Discussion, in general

Re: Sports section?

Postby Anglerphobe » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:33 pm

The brawl at UFC 229 is a fairly clear vindication of the phrase "what goes around comes around". Conor and his team's extremely antagonistic behaviour towards Khabib and his team made it personal and brought about all the hostility that eventually resulted in violence. It doesn't absolve Khabib at all, but there's no denying this wouldn't have happened had Conor and co not brought so much personal insult into the fight buildup.
This was also a rare fight for Khabib without his father at cageside. I'm not sure if Khabib himself would have acted differently, he was really worked up from the fight and everything, but his cornermen absolutely would not have jumped into the cage if Abdulmanap Nurmagomedov managed to get a visa. You don't fuck around when he's beside you.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby iMURDAu » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:43 pm

Khabib firing shots:

I would like to address @ufc
Why didn't you fire anyone when their team attacked the bus and injured a couple of people?

I'm no fan of playing favorites. The UFC should be a meritocracy like any good sporting body.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Anglerphobe » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:44 pm

The UFC is a meritocracy, it's just that everyone is measured on their ability to sell tickets and pay-per-view buys first and foremost. The brass will probably want to throw out some bullshit suspensions so they seem to be doing something but all of this material is going straight into the video editing room ready for the inevitable rematch.

For similar reasons, it looks like we're getting the fattest ever world title fight as Derrick Lewis challenges Daniel Cormier for the heavyweight world championship on the MSG card next month. Lewis just took a fourteen and a half minute shitkicking at the hands of Alexander Volkov and technically won't be medically cleared to compete by the NSAC until a week after the championship bout. I'm not sure why they didn't offer the fight to Curtis Blaydes, who is in shape with a fight booked at the end of the month and hasn't had the fuck beaten out of him recently. All they would have to do was add Francis Ngannou to the list of fighters who have been screwed over in the course of putting together some half baked main event for this card. The Francis vs Volkov fight practically makes itself at this point, as punishment for both of them for somehow contriving to lose high stakes contender bouts to Derrick Lewis.

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:19 pm

Anglerphobe wrote:The UFC is a meritocracy, it's just that everyone is measured on their ability to sell tickets and pay-per-view buys first and foremost.

Oh yeah the business. I'm the kind of fan that thinks good product takes care of itself. I don't need to be hyped up if two great fighters are going to compete. Casual interest is what results in high buyrates but chasing that high is making the UFC more like the WWE. It's not just the UFC though because Bellator has a good roster but I'm waiting for them to give us Forrest vs. Stephen or Chuck vs. Rashad as a main event because those names are established in the minds of MMA fans.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:07 pm

Deontay Wilder made his contribution to a month of combat sport nonsense when, at the request of a tv host, he punched and floored a mascot. Unsurprisingly, said mascot was pretty fucked up. Wilder claims he didn't know he was punching a person in a costume, presumably that meaning he thought his opponent actually was an anthropomorphic giant burrito wearing a moustache and a sombrero.
This incident raises several questions, including but not limited to: Is Deontay Wilder unable to understand that costumes have people inside them? Like a dog or a toddler? Did the guy in that mascot costume do something to anger his employers? How much is he going to sue them for? Who even thought this was a good idea in the first place?

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:43 am

Anglerphobe wrote:Deontay Wilder made his contribution to a month of combat sport nonsense when, at the request of a tv host, he punched and floored a mascot. Unsurprisingly, said mascot was pretty fucked up. Wilder claims he didn't know he was punching a person in a costume, presumably that meaning he thought his opponent actually was an anthropomorphic giant burrito wearing a moustache and a sombrero.
This incident raises several questions, including but not limited to: Is Deontay Wilder unable to understand that costumes have people inside them? Like a dog or a toddler? Did the guy in that mascot costume do something to anger his employers? How much is he going to sue them for? Who even thought this was a good idea in the first place?

I'm kind of confused why it's being mentioned on t.v. today (morning news showed it for example), unless I really am psychic I remember reading about it weeks ago.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby Anglerphobe » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:06 pm

So, something quite unexpected has happened.

Having apparently run out of money yet again following his victory over Conor McGregor last summer, Floyd Mayweather has announced that he is returning to the ring once more this December. This itself is not too remarkable, Floyd bleeds money like a broken tap and anyone within three weight classes of him would jump at the opportunity to snag the fight when he periodically unretires like this. What makes this so unusual is that he will be making his return in Japan at the Saitama Super Arena against 20 year old kickboxing superstar Tenshin Nasukawa in a "special rules" contest for the big year end show of Japan's Rizin Fighting Federation, a promoter of mixed martial arts, shootboxing, and kickboxing. The rules have not been made public knowledge yet, but will presumably be some sort of compromise between the Queensbury and Japanese kickboxing rulesets.

Nasukawa was chosen for this presumably because he is Japan's biggest combat sports star currently and May wants to expand his business interests in the Japanese market. He is undefeated at 27-0 (20 knockouts) in professional kickboxing and 4-0 (2 knockouts, 1 submission) in mixed martial arts, most recently beating former UFC title challenger and Rizin world champion Kyoji Horiguchi by decision in a kickboxing bout. He's quite a bit smaller than Floyd, at 164cm (to Mayweather's 172cm) in height, about 60kg (to Money's 65+kg) with a reach of around 170cm to Floyd's 183cm. Despite this, if kicking is allowed in this fight Floyd is dead. I've seen Nasukawa fight. He will pulverise Floyd's legs until he can barely walk, batter his abdomen, and duck him into head kicks once his movement is gone. The only way I can see 2018's ageing Floyd Mayweather surviving this fight is if they disallow leg kicks at the very least.

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:36 pm

...or not.

Floyd contradicted the announcement by Rizin Fighting Federation, saying he never agreed to a fight and Nasukawa was never named. The Japanese promoters just announced it anyway for the publicity. He was apparently approached about a three round exhibition match against an unspecified opponent but never agreed to anything. At least more people know who Tenshin is now.

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:27 am

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:30 pm

Talk about link dumping. :D

What's that supposed to infer? The insanity that the Alex Smith led Redskins are 6-3? They should be 7-2 because how the hell do you lose to the Falcons?

The Giants hired the wrong GM, the Cowboys don't have a competent front office, and the Eagles are so fragile that they might fire their medical staff. Again.

I find it hilarious how sports media in general continues to be so in love with the Cowboys that the narrative isn't that they barely beat a down division opponent but that they're coming for the top teams in the conference. A team that can reach .500 in week 11. Ok. Of course Ezekiel Elliott is a better back than Josh "Got this job because 3 guys ahead of me got hurt" Adams. Of course Dak Prescott can complete passes against Not Darby, Not Mills, and Not Jones.

I hope the Redskins do better than the Vikings this year. I think it was foul how they treated Cousins over the past two years but imo that kind of fence sitting is idk nicer than kicking the guy who got you to the NFC title game to the curb because there's someone hotter available.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:03 am

I'm just happy that my team is winning and all the teams I hate are losing.

Not that I think the Skins are any good. The only thing we actually do well is defend the run. But the Cowboys are worse and the Eagles can't get their shit together, so I guess we're going to the playoffs.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:19 am

My town's team, the Chiefs, are doing pretty pretty good this year. We might make it past the first round of the playoffs!

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby iMURDAu » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:28 pm

I look forward to them playing the Rams next week. I think that the Chiefs are going to show why they should be considered the best team in the league when they win.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby IamNotCreepy » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:30 pm

The Jags have just completely imploded this season.

Once again, we're already looking forward to a fresh start next year.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby JamishT » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:14 pm

I just watched the last half hour of the Ohio State - Maryland game, where Ohio State, powerhouse of the Big 10, beat Maryland, not-so powerhouse, by a single point. In overtime.

We might not beat Michigan this year, and that's gonna suck.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

PreviousNext