The Walking Dead

What have you been watching?

Re: The Walking Dead

Postby KleinerKiller » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:29 am

SandTea wrote:I haven't read the comics so with that preface,

Spoiler: show
Y'all like carl?! I'm sure he's much better in the novel but TV carl? No. No, no, no. He is one of the most annoying characters on the show. OK, that is my personal opinion and I admit he has gotten better with the Negan storyline but almost every other thing hes done in the show has annoyed the f outa me.

Kliner, unless this is a much more sadistic marketing ploy than glens dumpster, he's gotta be dead. Carl and the actors real life dad had a bit of a rant about being fired after the episode aired. (I'll try to post the story link tomorrow, I'm being lazy)

Yeah, he is more compelling in the comics -- to my memory, the whole "CORAL, GIT BACK IN THE HOOOUSE!" phase never happens there -- but really, I think post-Season 5 at least, Carl's been one of the better characters on the show. The actor's grown into the role well. When last I bothered watching, the new "most annoying younger character" title was resting squarely on Enid's shoulders.

And that's a shame. I wouldn't put Option B off the table just yet because I've seen far more elaborate attempts by shows to convince audiences that an actor was leaving the show only to pull the rug out at the next premiere, but if it's all legit, this is really shitty. Riggs' spent almost half his life on this show, so I can't imagine it's super easy to just get canned all of a sudden. Assuming it's real.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby Australia » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:34 am

Personally, only one word came to my mind when it happened and that was 'Finally'. So that probably means I'm with SandTea on this one.

That scene where Carl crashed a car on an empty street Lori-style happened post-season 5, right? Just goes to show what a low bar this show has if that still qualifies him for one of the better characters in anyone's opinion. I've grown to tolerate him recently, if only because he's been used sparingly but I'm glad I'll never have to see Carl again. Still, it's too little, too late because I just don't care enough to cheer.

The time transitions are really pissing me off this season. They're being done every episode for no reason. It doesn't add anything, it doesn't change context, it's not as artistic as it thinks it is given the flashbacks aren't intriguing, it's just pointless. I'm glad they've upped the action though. I've come too far to stop watching now, but there's been a few episodes these past months where I didn't push the show to background noise so it's doing something right. Let's forget the fact that you can jump from the season 6 finale to the season 8 premier and not know you missed an entire season. The show isn't good but at least it's watchable again.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby iMURDAu » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:41 am

Anyone else still with this? We've come a long way.

Carl's dead. He died. That happened. Saving Saadiq because why the hell not. Saving a person but sacrificing yourself will now be known as "Pulling A Carl".

In the latest episode we got to see Dr. Carson at first be annoyed with Father Gabriel's blind following of God. Then we got to see Dr. Carson blame Father Gabriel's going blind on following God. After Father Gabriel stumbled quite blindly into a stash of antibiotic pills it seemed Dr. Carson was seeing things much more clearly than Father Gabriel but he was also starting to have some faith in God. Finally, Dr. Carson died abruptly. I won't say how but it was swift and he was left behind as Father Gabriel screamed in horror.

Poor Father Gabriel. Things really went to shit for him after he ended up in that trailer with Negan. Well, not like living in a zombie apocalypse after locking your congregation out of the church so you could try to solo this mission was the greatest life you could live but hey.

Oh shit. And Saadiq is a doctor has medical experience whatever the fuck that is. I have medical experience, I give my cat insulin shots.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby KleinerKiller » Wed May 30, 2018 6:59 pm

Spoilers if you don't want information on cast departures that will most likely be major deaths:

According to various sources, both Andrew Lincoln and Lauren Cohan will be leaving the show next season, while Norman Reedus will be moving into the starring role.

If this turns out to be the case, despite my many misgivings with the show for how badly they handled my favorite arc, I'm still pretty sad about it. Rick's departure just in and of itself means the show probably can't go down the Whisperers route (not that it would carry much dramatic heft since Carl is a critical part of that storyline) or have many of the great Negan interactions, and Maggie being gone destroys the point of Hilltop and deprives us of my favorite female lead in the story. A lot of fans may adore Daryl despite him being little more than a static cool guy for the longest time (in spite of Norman Reedus's best efforts), but I can't see the show lasting too much longer after this.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Wed May 30, 2018 10:04 pm

Damned AMC read my post about Roseanne and they're taking action. Just blow up this dumb planet already and get it all over with.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby LunarTeaHouse » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:46 am

To be honest, I'm over it. And I'm over Fear, which I actually thought to be the better show. Do either of you guys watch Fear?

They butchered it. They butchered the fuck out of it.

I've never stopped watching a show before now, but now they're both off of my recordings list. Maybe I'll watch them when they go to Netflix. Reddit Fear is going offfffff about this.

Also, there's apparently some drama going on with Chris Hardwick and AMC has suspended his shows, investigations pending.

What the hell is going on...

This is the most embarrassing piece of work since Clint Eastwood painted his wagon.
LunarTeaHouse
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:43 pm

The wife and I watched the first season of Fear and found it compelling. Then they were in that boat for a couple episodes at the start of season 2 and we stuck through it! We quit watching not long after the hotel episode where everyone got split up and Not-Johnny Galecki went off covered in entrails so he could mosey among the dead. I think they did a time jump so I felt justified in stopping. Then I read they did another time jump at the beginning of the latest season so they could have
Deus Ex Morgan on the squad doing his Donatello thang.

I'll watch TWD as long as Kirkman is involved. That's his baby and so is the comic. Provided he doesn't go all SJW like he did with Invincible, I'm not going anywhere.

I never liked Chris Hardwick. He's an okay interviewer but ffs people on this site could do his job and nobody would notice a difference. We're that talented.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby LunarTeaHouse » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:43 pm

Season 3 of Fear on the ranch was great. Lots of great character development with Madison, plus a few interesting new characters including some BAMF Native Americans.

And yeah, you're right. Now there's time jumps on top of time jumps. The characters are dropping like flies, and the plot is going in circles. The new characters they've brought in are pretty worthless, except for this cowboy guy whom everyone likes. He's the only thing holding the show together like so much glue.

I like Morgan, but only because he's the character I identify with the most. I'm the biggest pacifist ever, so I'd totally be the person going around asking why we can't all just be friends, lol.

These shows have come a long way down. :( I remember when I had a hard time deciding whether Walking Dead or Game of Thrones was the better show. Now there's just no contest in the slightest. I actually like Into the Badlands better than Walking Dead these days, and that show is crap! Haha. I just really like the martial arts sequences and the costumes and set designs are gorgeous

This is the most embarrassing piece of work since Clint Eastwood painted his wagon.
LunarTeaHouse
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:50 am

Since I'm officially checked out of the show but still eagerly lapping up the comic (and the Telltale games), I figure I'll make some predictions for how the big cast departures are gonna go down since this thread is semi-active. If I get it mostly on the money, please pay me in stale candy. Also some comic spoilers and details on a returning cast member.

What we know for sure is that Lauren Cohan will be gone around the mid-season, and Lincoln will be leaving at the end. Since TWD is so reliant on its mid-season finale shockers, I'm pretty confident in what's below.

With Maggie ending the last season starting that stupid insurrection against Rick for sparing Negan (an issue the comic has spun out much more slowly and powerfully, at least in my opinion), she's going to spend the first half-season scheming and planting seeds of mutiny before openly trying to act against Rick in the mid-season finale, only to die in the process in either that episode or the following break premiere. This will have a huge impact on both Rick and Daryl, who's also hesitantly on the mutinying side as of last season's finale.

Following that, the show will tease out the reveals of the new antagonists a la what they did with the Saviors in the back half of Season 6. Whether they try their hand at the Whisperers despite that arc being so reliant on Rick, Carl, and Negan being together (I mean, they already transplanted one of the big deaths to Carl, so it'd be kind of weightless altogether) or introduce another series original group, the slowly building conflict will drive Rick to his worst impulses and make everyone distrust him. Daryl will slowly but surely be slotted into the position of Big Good, just in time for the threat to come to a head.

Then it's time for Rick to die in the finale. I've got three theories as to how they'll do this. One, given the timing relative to the comic, is that he'd be the last decapitated head unveiled on the Whisperers' wall of heads (thus sparing Ezekiel), but that seems too undramatic. Then there's the idea of him going out in a grandiose heroic sacrifice to protect the group from the big army / herd approaching, which is just tropey enough that I could see them pulling it off. What makes me skeptical, though, is that Jon Bernthal is reported to be appearing as Shane -- almost certainly, unless we're going full batshit necromancy up in this bitch, as part of a hallucination of everyone Rick has lost over the years. Those kinds of hallucinations can happen any time, but given that Rick will be leaving the show, mid-death would be most appropriate and the death would have to be slow enough to allow it.

So Rick is dealt a mortal blow, be it by the enemies, a walker, or one of his own allies after he goes too far. He'll spend the duration of the episode shambling around or sitting in his own blood, being visited by the ghosts of his past, until finally it comes time to transfer the protagonist position. In comes Daryl, who has a big emotional talk with him that resolves all of their lingering differences and reflects on the show's many seasons, before tearfully putting him out of his misery. Rick is severed cleanly and Daryl moves into the biggest spotlight, ready for an original storyline or an absorption of Rick's future story beats. Roll credits.

KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:38 pm

This show really dropped the ball by not having someone around to facilitate a major face turn by someone else.

I think they'll have to cancel the show after the next season if we lose Maggie and Rick. You know, the only protagonists left in the comics this show is loosely based on. Without Carl to have his come to Jesus talks with Negan who redeems him and how? I can't think of another character that is close between Rick and Negan that could bridge the gap between them.

Their supposed plan of making TWD into The Walking Daryl has potential to fail hard. The Darylites I know personally weren't happy with this past season featuring him riding the bike and not doing much else. How long can they keep up with the loud ass bike that manages to always have plenty of gas?

I think once the series ends it will be remembered for some poignant episodes, fantastic special effects, those moments that were torn off the page of the comic, introducing us to Danai Gurira, and more. But it will also be remembered for the farm, "They're screwing with the wrong people", and killing Carl prematurely because.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:34 pm

It's back.

Hello?

Anyone?

Are you still there, watching the show? It.... exists. There's still people on it that were there before.

Anys ways here's a spoiler free, shite I mean free spoiler review-ish text wall:

Carol has been shipped with Ezekiel. Well, it was attempted by the writers but Carol being the realest gangster to ever walk around that fictional universe she put a stop to that with the quickness. One day Ezekiel will understand that love makes you vulnerable and Carol can't be that.

Okay so besides that garbage side plot mess, the main point at the outset was to visit Washington D.C.! I cringed to find that even in post apocalyptic times the first place people go is to the museums.

The mission was to acquire antiquated farming tools. While watching this farcical crap of them suddenly playing Don't Break the Ice, I lamented how stupid it would be if someone got hurt or killed just because the Amish got the.... uh... *shakes fist angrily* out of Virginia way back when. But really, these people have had gasoline for years and now they don't want gas or electric powered farm equipment because the writers room said so. NEVER MIND the sudden solar panels all around Alexandria now.

Maggie had her baby. Amazing since she never looked pregnant. I'm going to miss her and Rick once they're killed off. Remember when that would actually have been a spoiler but the fanbase is so evil they'd have already found out and smeared the evidence all over reddit? The baby is named Herschel, after one of the greatest college football players ever. I assume. I mean, I know he's one of the greatest, I just assume that's why she named him that.

Gregory has been Gregory'ing around freely it seems. This episode is when he crossed the line? I mean he's only tried to pull a Starscream on Maggie how many times? She has him hanged. Daryl plays executioner. Rick and Michonne are in shock like they think this is barbaric. If Maggie had just shot him in the face a long time ago and told everyone at Hilltop that "Gregory is gone because I added another hole to his head with my rifle and that's about that" it would have gone much more smoothly.

Negan isn't dead. Not that anyone who reads the comic thought he would be.

All in all a decent start to the new season that was enjoyable and has me interested in the future of the show.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:53 pm

So this is how it happens?

Tomorrow is "Rick's Final Episode". He's apparently going to die. Want to know how? Well too bad you should be watching the show. Ok? Shame on you thinking I'd spoil that here. Or that I even know, the final episode is tomorrow. Duh. Anyways. We see him receive a mortal wound at the end of this latest episode and walkers are closing in on him.

That wasn't even the worst part of the episode. There was a friendly fight between Rick and Daryl because of how Negan was handled. Daryl was trying to assist Maggie in her thirst for Negan's blood by moving Rick away from Alexandria and idk fist fighting him because men don't talk until they end up in a giant pit since the writers needed exposition to happen and that's not easily done on a motorcycle. Ok?

Oh and the leader of the hoarders, Anne, is leaving the group and needs to sacrifice Carver, I mean Gabriel to join another group. That other group seems to have a working helicopter. Maybe they're part of the other show and she's going to switch rosters.

Michonne has a conversation with Negan and between that and the Daryl/Rick pit scene I think someone was watching Silence of the Lambs when they wrote this episode. Negan is so wrong, so evil, such a bad guy, but he psychoanalyzed Michonne like a pro. And it got to her. I guess that will have future repercussions.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:04 am

Good fucking lord.

So after all of that hubbub, all of the artistic bankruptcy it took to so heavily promote "the end of Rick Grimes" and then have him mortally wounded by getting bucked off a horse of all things, they set him up for a momentous heroic sacrifice the likes of which I predicted in a previous post -- and then they weren't even willing to not walk it back? All of those pointless death hallucinations with all of the dead characters (which were fun for just seeing the actors again and for some creative imagery, even if they were clearly organized around which actors they could get back, which is why Rick somehow doesn't visualize his dead son; also, R.I.P. Scott Wilson / Hershel), and then he just washes up just in time to get on the predictable deus ex helicopter, having not actually gone through anything momentous or properly reflected on anything of note? They're apparently planning a trilogy of Rick Grimes solo TV movies now even after advertising this as the sendoff for him?!

And then they set up the prepubescent Judith as a fucking Rick / Carl hybrid role?!?!

Fuck this. I resumed watching just to see how they would handle the Andrew Lincoln and Lauren Cohan depatures, but this is just... unbelievable. The episode's well shot and paced and all (and the hallucinations with the hospital and Shane were genuinely great, and Lincoln acts the hell out of his material as usual, and whatnot) but it's just so goddamn inept by the end that it's hilarious. They put Glenn under the dumpster again and then announced a "Glenn's time under the dumpster" spin-off.

Oh, and as an extra dollop of shit on the cake, Negan's heel-face breakdown when Maggie comes to kill him -- something that only happens in the comic after many volumes of buildup and numerous "come-to-Jesus" conversations with Rick and Carl, and after helping out with all of the Whisperers stuff that's just about to start -- is shoved in to make room before Cohan leaves. And it makes zero sense because he's been doing nothing but being smug and tyrannical with no Carl to rein him in. This was literally the least ideal possible time for these two actors to leave the show (and I'm puzzled as to why Lincoln is even leaving the cast, since he's doing those movies and then apparently staying on to direct).

KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:39 am

Ok, so if anyone hasn't yet started watching this show....

Just. Don't. I feel duped after all these years. I thought there was a cohesive plan or something to write things around comic events post All Out War but it seems they're doing a South Parkesque 6 day turnaround or at least that's how the writing comes off to me. So you've been warned random person who managed to stumble into this page of a years old thread.

Some things I'm okay with at this point others, not so much but I kind of already mentioned my biggest gripe. Here goes:

Okay so Rick is supposed to have been dying or something and at the end of the last episode he was impaleded on a big ass piece of rebar. So naturally he hooked his shirt around other bent rebar from the... shit idk what that thing is but it was obviously a not-Rick-death set piece they dreamed up. Anyway Rickpool (aka the Rickgenerating Rickgenerate) got up on his horse to bleed all over it, which the horse didn't mind at all, and hallucinate for our entertainment all while the real star of this week's episode pied piper'd the shit out of the zombie horde. That would be the unnamed equine. Can't even name the real hero. I didn't see any reviews mention this and idk why or how they missed it. Sighs.

So while Rick is dying* we see Maggie have it out with Negan and it goes really weird. It wasn't well done. It didn't fit the show. We go from Negan showing his regular bravado to begging for his life and Maggie feeling sorry for him. I feel sorry for the writers if they expect me to believe Maggie sees Negan as a Jerry Smith type because of his words and actions mere seconds before she was going to kill him.

Did other stuff happen in between? Ah who cares. Eventually Rickpool's majestic now half-pink because that's suddenly the color of dried blood in this universe steed delivers him to the bridge that everyone kumbaya'd to build. Rick plans to have the horde follow him onto the bridge and watch the bridge collapse under their weight. Well they went and engineered too good it seems. The bridge held. Ex Machina Crew shows up for real this time after a few hallucinations and the camera shows a box of dynamite on the bridge. Because that's how the Ex Machina Crew fucking rolls dog what? I immediately yell SMILE YOU SON OF A BITCH and Rick dicks around for a few seconds before he notices the dynamite. He does not quote Jaws to my utter dismay. Maybe Jaws doesn't exist in that universe.

Bridge goes boom. Everyone is shocked. Michonne screams out, Daryl saunters off, chaos n'shit. Horde is going white water rafter sans canoe.

"Anna" who has been promising the Helicopter Gang a person is in contact with them. She mentions she does not have an "A" and that she in fact does not have anyone but c'mon lemme join ya gang. Then because she was at one time part of the Ex Machina Crew who is laying there all Anakin'd out on the riverbanks? Rickpool babee! She's got a "B" not an "A" for the Helicopter Gang who decide to swoop in and snatch up the young bloods and put 'em on the set.

*-So Rick didn't die. Yet at least. There's going to be a few Rick Minus The Gang movies. Yay?

We got a time jump. Carol lives so that's all I really care about. Judith is older. She's got a small katana because there's probably a few in the Smithsonian laying around.

Best part of the episode was Shane showing up. That was needed. When Shane said don't worry about me, I was like yeah he's the fucking Punisher now gettin that Netflix money. Don't worry about him.

Get control of your shit Kirkman. Fire Scott Gimple as a writer. Please.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:38 am

Okay so can we try to as a society not put spoilers in the headlines of articles about television shows that aired the day before?

Thanks a lot IGN. This goes on their shelf of the WTF curio next to "too much water" and rating Minecraft as having better graphics than Xenoblade Chronicles.

We're going to be watching it, probably tonight but damn.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

PreviousNext