Things that are things.

Discussion, in general

Re: Things that are things.

Postby jbobsully11 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:43 am

I went to a local Democratic Club meeting earlier today. Someone looked at my mom and me and asked if we were married. I wasn't sure whose age the person got wrong, but then someone else asked me if I'm old enough to vote yet. (I would hope so; I’ve been registered for just over ten years.)

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby Australia » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:19 pm

I was raving to someone about Bad Times At The El Royale and described it as "a cross between Identity and Tarantino or Identitarantino if you will." She said she wasn't seeing the movie because of that portmanteau. I said if it was a Batman movie, they could call it Bat Times at the El Royale and she said she was back in. I really thought my first review was more clever and relevant but I guess humour is fickle like that. Anyway, go see it. Jeff Bridges and Larry Hemsworth's brother are great in it.

Edit: Upon reflection, Iquentity is a better mashup.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:57 pm

I owe my cat a block of cheese.

She is restricted from cheese due to her diabetes.

This came about because lately she's taken to slapping her water bowl around when drinking. From my experience this seems to be a thing with older cats. So her water bowl starts on her food mat when she gets fed but she'll end up pushing it all around the room.

One night I made a deal with her that if her water bowl was still on the mat when she got fed next I'd buy her a block of cheese. The next morning the bowl was still on the mat. Every other day and night since she's moved the bowl. I know she knows I owe her. I'm a bad person for flaking on this bet? I just don't know. I shouldn't have done it but I thought she would just move it. I know she understands words but to what extent? She. Won't. Tell. Me! (in english)

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby jbobsully11 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:22 pm

iMURDAu wrote:I owe my cat a block of cheese.

She is restricted from cheese due to her diabetes.

This came about because lately she's taken to slapping her water bowl around when drinking. From my experience this seems to be a thing with older cats. So her water bowl starts on her food mat when she gets fed but she'll end up pushing it all around the room.

One night I made a deal with her that if her water bowl was still on the mat when she got fed next I'd buy her a block of cheese. The next morning the bowl was still on the mat. Every other day and night since she's moved the bowl. I know she knows I owe her. I'm a bad person for flaking on this bet? I just don't know. I shouldn't have done it but I thought she would just move it. I know she understands words but to what extent? She. Won't. Tell. Me! (in english)

You should go into “twisted wish” thread mode. “I bought this cheese, and you’re getting this 1 mm3 block from it, cat.”

On second thought, you might just end up with water all over your floor every day for the rest of her life. Never mind.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:07 pm

She doesn't usually make water come out of it buuut we're careful with how we fill it. Also I feel like she's got a free pass because no matter what happens she can look at me like "whurs mai chz hoomin?".

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:19 pm

So, I'm currently at Sac-Con, and there was a booth selling trades for cheap, and I found a 1960s Human Torch Omnibus where Namor seems to be enjoying a fight with him a little too much.
Spoiler: show
Namorgasm.jpg
Namorgasm.jpg (44.56 KiB) Viewed 4255 times

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby cmsellers » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:42 pm

I've noticed that commercial property owners had a tendency to put up a veritable hedgehog of signs for GOP candidates/the most pro-business Democrat. Today, I noticed that one of these bunches, while still having the signs for the expected candidates, had a sign for Beto O'Rourke and no sign for Ted Cruz.

I can see three possible explanations:

1. The sign poster is a moderate Republican who hates Ted Cruz.
2. The sign poster is hoping that people turning out for Beto won't have researched other candidates (especially in nonpartisan city races), and will vote based on the signs.
3. A Beto supporter stole the Ted Cruz sign and replaced it.

All of these seem roughly equally plausible, so I'm not sure what to make of it.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby JamishT » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:28 am

I just saw this, and I couldn't think of a more fitting thread to share it in. It's something I would expect from a corporate Twitter account like Wendy's or MoonPie, not the CEO of several large companies. I'm okay with it though.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby jbobsully11 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:37 pm

I just scheduled a job interview next week via text from a bot for a warehouse position. I also got an e-mail about a temp agency that’s having a job fair a few days after the interview. Only time will tell if this is good news or not.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:06 pm

The Atlantic had an article which linked to an excerpt from Seeing Like a State: How Certain Schemes to Improve the Human Condition Have Failed. The book seemed potentially interesting, so I looked in the Austin Public Library system and found they had two copies, both available. I placed a hold and was told that I was second in line. This suggests that someone else in Austin read the same article and had the same idea.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby IamNotCreepy » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:26 pm

So I did something dumb last night.

I was heating oil in a stock pot to sauté some onions for a soup. While I was waiting, I started peeling a knob of ginger over the trashcan. After what seemed like a very short amount of time, I saw something orange flare up in my peripheral vision.

I turned to see flames shooting up about 1-2 feet about the top of the pot. I quickly rushed over and turned off the burner. Not wanting to burn the cabinets over the stove, and wanting to cool it down, I took the pot off the burner. This was my first mistake.

I quickly realized that the fire was not going to go out by itself, and the longer I held it increased the chances of either burning myself or setting fire to the kitchen. There was nowhere to safely set the pot down inside, so since I couldn't take the heat, I decided to get out of the kitchen and take it outside so it could burn itself out safely. This was mistake number two.

My wife opened the back door, and as I rushed over, the flames started blowing in my face and over my arms. At this point, it was getting too hot to handle, so in the heat of the moment I chucked the pot into the backyard. This was by far the stupidest of all my mistakes.

Now, to be fair, I didn't throw it onto the grass. I threw it onto the back patio, which is just a concrete slab. The pot hit the concrete and tumbled end-over-end in a brilliant display of bright orange liquid spraying into the air before landing upright on a plastic mat on the patio.

Fortunately, nothing caught fire. Unfortunately, I ruined the pot, burned a hole in the plastic mat, and gave myself a few minor burns.

In retrospect, I now know the correct thing to do should have been to smother the fire by put a lid on the pot or put baking soda on it.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby CarrieVS » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:11 pm

It could be worse. At least you knew better than to try and pour water on it.

(That was drummed into me so hard as a kid, how to safely put out a fire in a pan of oil. Never needed it, yet.)

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Delta Jim » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:32 am

Today as I was driving I started hearing something dragging behind me and feared that a part of my car had come off. Turns out it was just a piece of plastic junk that got caught on my bumper somehow.

Forget ghosts and monsters, unexpected repair costs you don't have the money for are the REAL Halloween scares.

Delta Jim
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Not Very Notable

Postby SilverMaple » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:26 am

I had my first day of working alone today and the building is still standing. On one hand, that means I did my job successfully. On the other hand, that also means I need to go back in on Tuesday, so I suppose it balances out.

Bert wrote:The best part of my job is fistfighting an 8 year old every day.

//Friend come and go, like the wave in the ocean, but true ones stay like an octopus on our face.\\
SilverMaple
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Nerd of a Feather

Postby Kate » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:34 am

SilverMaple wrote:I had my first day of working alone today and the building is still standing. On one hand, that means I did my job successfully. On the other hand, that also means I need to go back in on Tuesday, so I suppose it balances out.

Of course, if your line of work was demolition, it would be a bad sign that the building was still standing.

JT's Art Thread - JamesT's awesome stuff.
Kate
Gul DuKate
Gul DuKate

Show rep
Title: Sheepwoman

PreviousNext