H.R. Mc....fuck it, The who got fired/resigned today thread

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: H.R. Mc....fuck it, The who got fired/resigned today thr

Postby Cobra-D » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:59 pm

Scott Pruitt has just resigned today after dealing with allegations of being pretty corrupt for a few months.

He’s lasted 43.4 Mooches.

The truth is like poetry, everyone fucking hates poetry.
Cobra-D
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: The Witty Flirt

Postby blehblah » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:48 pm

Gee... maybe these restaurant protests do work.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4311604/scot ... vironment/

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency chief Scott Pruitt was confronted at a Washington restaurant by a woman and her child, urging him to resign over what he’s “doing to the environment and to our country.”

Pruitt sat in silence Monday when Kristin Mink, holding her young son, confronted the EPA boss while he was having lunch with a colleague.

“I just wanted to urge you to resign because of what you are doing to the environment and to our country,” Mink said. “This is my son. He loves animals. He loves clean air. He loves clean water. Meanwhile, you are slashing emissions standards for cars and trucks for the benefit of big corporations.

“You have been paying 50 bucks a night to stay in a D.C. condo connected to an energy lobbying firm, while approving our dirty sands,” the mother said.

[...]

“We deserve to have somebody at the EPA who actually does protect our environment, somebody who believes in climate change and takes it seriously, for the benefit of all of us including our children,” Mink said. “So I would urge you to resign before your scandals push you out.”

I guess the trick is she was pretty polite about it, other than the whole interrupting a meal thing.

*clears throat*

"Excuse me, Mr. Trump, quit. Please. Double-fudge sundae with a cherry on top, please."

To be clear, this much please.

I think it's worth a shot. Now I just need to be in the same restaurant. Can anyone slide me the $200K Mar-a-Lago membership fee, or are Canadians not allowed there? Just the fee - lord knows I'm not actually going to eat there after seeing the health code violations, and I'm not much of a golfer - so it's not like I'm going to run-up a bill, or something.

Spoiler: show
For shits and giggles, I googled "crowdfund mar-a-lago membership fee", and was not disappointed:

https://www.refinery29.com/2017/02/1410 ... membership

A quantum state of signature may or may not be here... you just ruined it.
blehblah
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Error General, Panic Colonel

Postby Aquila89 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:08 pm

I don't know if that's good news.

From the New York Times:

Mr. Trump announced the resignation in a tweet on Thursday in which he thanked Mr. Pruitt for an “outstanding job” [...] The E.P.A.’s deputy administrator, Andrew Wheeler, a former coal lobbyist who shares Mr. Pruitt’s zeal to dismantle climate change regulations, will act as the agency’s leader until a new administrator is nominated by Mr. Trump and confirmed by the Senate.

Wheeler doesn't seem to be better than Pruitt. And I'm pretty sure that the person Trump will pick to succeed Pruitt (it could be Wheeler) will be no better. But probably not so blatantly corrupt, so he will be able to dismantle environmental regulation in peace.

Update: based on the Times article about him, Wheeler is worse than Pruitt.

unlike Mr. Pruitt — who had come to Washington as an outsider and aspiring politician, only to get caught up in a swirl of controversy over his costly first-class travel and security spending — Mr. Wheeler is viewed as a consummate Washington insider who avoids the limelight and has spent years effectively navigating the rules. For that reason, Mr. Wheeler’s friends and critics alike say, he could ultimately prove to be more effective than his controversial former boss in implementing President Trump’s deregulatory agenda.

Wheeler was chief of staff to James Inhofe, the biggest climate change denier in Washington - the guy who displayed a snowball in the Senate to disprove climate change. He lobbied for Murray Energy, of a coal mine company headed by Robert Murray, another prominent climate change denier.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:47 pm

I bet H.R.McFuckit would be willing to run the EPA.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:22 am

I don't think the public confrontation had anything to do with it. Pruitt knew what he was doing and had to figure if he didn't resign he'd be fired. Which is what Trump should've done imo. Have Don Jr. and that George guy from the Apprentice just sitting there next to him in the Oval Office when he does it.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby cmsellers » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:00 am

Cobra-D wrote:Scott Pruitt has just resigned today after dealing with allegations of being pretty corrupt for a few months.

He’s lasted 43.4 Mooches.

Come now, Cobes.
It sounds mooch spicier if you say he lasted almost half a hectomooch.

Anyone want to take betsies on who's next?

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Crimson847 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:49 pm

If we're talking voluntary departures I'd put my money on Sarah Huckabee Sanders. That woman does not look happy with her job of late. If we're talking forced out, I really don't know; Kelly, Ryan Zinke, and Ben Carson looked like they were in trouble for a while, but that seems to have blown over.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby blehblah » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:54 pm

Crimson847 wrote:If we're talking voluntary departures I'd put my money on Sarah Huckabee Sanders. That woman does not look happy with her job of late. If we're talking forced out, I really don't know; Kelly, Ryan Zinke, and Ben Carson looked like they were in trouble for a while, but that seems to have blown over.

I'm thinking Kelly will elect to spend more time with his family sometime during the dog days of summer. He seems to have been out of the spotlight for some time ,while the likes of Navarro and Bolton have come to the fore. I don't believe Trump will fire him (or, rather, Tweet about firing him). Trump seems a bit scared (what passes for respect from a man like Trump) of generals, especially nearby ones. I don't see Kelly leaving without a successor being identified.

There were fake news reports about that happening a short while ago:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/29/with-jo ... ho-wi.html

I'm not so sure about Sanders. It has been about year since Spicer left, while she started handling some press briefings in May, 2017. A year is quite a long slog in that role. Trump likely wants he to stick around, but with mid-terms looming, if she's going to leave, it will have to be relatively soon. While I believe this administration has twisted the press briefings, and the press secretary role, into a perversion of what it once was, Sanders has been pulling-off the role rather well (note, this is along the lines of admiring a particularly good confidence scheme). She will be difficult to replace.

Then again, as the totally serious site reported a while back:

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2018/05/br ... secretary/

A quantum state of signature may or may not be here... you just ruined it.
blehblah
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Error General, Panic Colonel

Postby Marcuse » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:22 pm

Trump is probably going to fire Rosenstein, the deputy attorney general who is responsible for overseeing the Mueller enquiry into collusion with Russia. He's come under fire for reported statements he made, which he claims are in jest, about removing Trump from office. He's also been reported, though I'm not sure the basis, as having been engaged in seeking support among the cabinet for removing Trump. Either way, he's had a "long conversation" with Trump today, and seems to be subject to scrutiny which will be decided upon on Thursday this week.

I expect Trump will try to convince him to resign in order to appoint a temporary successor who will then radically restrict the remit of the Mueller enquiry without actually cancelling it. Just so Trumpy can continue with the story that he has nothing to hide and there was no collusion so hard he needed to get rid of a deputy attorney general in order to prevent a proper investigation.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby IamNotCreepy » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:21 pm

Apparently, if he resigns, Trump can appoint anyone else who has been confirmed by the Senate under the Federal Vacancies Reform Act of 1998, but if he fires Rosenstein, he would have to appoint someone new.

Either way, in the meantime, Solicitor General Noel Francisco would be the one temporarily overseeing the investigation.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby gisambards » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:58 pm

Nikki Haley has very unexpectedly resigned. I'm posting from phone, so can't provide link, but it's currently the BBC website's top story. What is interesting is she had to explicitly deny intending to run in 2020 - whilst I doubt she'll run this time, the fact that that's a question someone from the same party as the incumbent is being asked indicates a sense that a primary challenge from a Republican might not be off the table.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:08 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45802828

Being useful...

Haley seems to have been saying she wanted to take time away for a while. I don't know if this is actually a leadership challenge or if the media is just really hoping that a POC woman will challenge Trump for the candidacy in 2020. I suspect possibly the latter.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:58 pm

gisambards wrote:Nikki Haley has very unexpectedly resigned. I'm posting from phone, so can't provide link, but it's currently the BBC website's top story. What is interesting is she had to explicitly deny intending to run in 2020 - whilst I doubt she'll run this time, the fact that that's a question someone from the same party as the incumbent is being asked indicates a sense that a primary challenge from a Republican might not be off the table.

Trump has enough support from the Republican base that I would say it's off the table. I don't think she has much to gain by jumping in front of that train and she's young enough to play the long game. My guess is she maintains a media presence, maybe gets a TV gig or something, and spends the next five years shitting on Democrats to burnish her right-wing cred.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:50 pm

Wouldn't a POC woman be a WOC? And there for wouldn't a group of WOC's be considered a Woman Of Colour Association? Which would result in WOCA WOCA WOCA?

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:12 pm

Trump has said that she's "going to make a lot of money". Which may be the reason for her resignation; it's being reported that she has amassed $525,000 to $1.1 million of debt.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

PreviousNext