[Pendragon RP] 488 Adventure - "The Matter of Frankland"

Pendragon: Tales of Chivalry and Sorcery is the place to go if you want to play Pendragon. Cpt._Funkotron will be your GM, with assistance from CarrieVS.

Re: [Pendragon RP] 488 Adventure - "The Matter of Frankland"

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:50 am

"My intentions, sirrah? Why, this knight was apprehended trying to return the spoils of war to our enemies. I'd sooner have an explanation of her intentions. I haven't gotten a word- well, not a *useful* word shall we say, from her since she worked out that this is a British army and not a Frankish one. No matter, I'll throw her at the Prince's feet, along with all the other barbarian wenches, and of course his share of all the treasures I have won for him here." He gestures to the loot pile filling the other gallery. It would be an impressive haul for any army, did it not pale in comparison to the vast fortune pillaged at Caen.

"Now, sir Leiryn. You seem like a sensible young man, and I'm sure you were no party whatsoever to this treasonous expedition. Guess I right that you were sent by the -august- Lord Wayford to apprehend this fiend?" He smirks wickedly, his voice dripping with sarcasm. "But of course I'm right. I have fulfilled the command, so now I charge you to run and tell your commander that I have the felon well in hand, and since he had so much trouble holding onto it in the first place, that I will be holding the contraband in safe keeping." He places an arm around Audofleda's waist and draws her into him with a sharp jolt, to which she does not react with enthusiasm.

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:48 am

Leiryn bites his lip, glancing between Blains, the decorated knights, the other men surrounding, and the hostages -- all while trying to appear that he has nothing whatsoever to worry about. The situation is, well, less than ideal. It really could only be worse if a vengeful Frankish army surged in right now, though even then, he could probably use the distraction to do something. Being backed into a corner like this... he can feel how unhealthy it is for him. It sets everything inside him on edge.

What to do? What? He feels an inexorable pull toward drawing his sword and burying it in the bastard's throat, here and now, consequences and assured death be damned. It's almost like he can already feel himself doing it. His muscles are twitching with reckless anticipation, and it takes concerted effort to resist his gut instinct. The fire is rising, brighter than ever, almost with voice. But if not that most tempting of choices, what options does he have? If he simply follows Blains' instruction, he could certainly make it back to alert his fellow knights and call down their united wrath upon the army, but there's no way in Hell he could stomach leaving the captives alone with Blains and his men. Even at his fastest clip, he wouldn't make it in time.

Run for help, then charge right back in? He'd be slewn in an instant if he doubled back now, no doubt soon followed by Terrwyn and the others. There are no other escape routes that he can see, and attackers are visible from all sides. He doubts he could make enough noise to draw his lookouts' attention without getting grievously injured, and besides, even if he somehow managed to link up with his troops, the sigil knights are ferocious opponents by themselves.

Breathe. Steady. Just breathe.

Could he fight? He has only his sword and a dagger, but he's confident in his skill with both -- had he his bow, everyone in the room ought to be dead by now. So he likes to think, at least. But the best case scenario barring a miracle is that he could take a few out by surprise, only to be swiftly outnumbered and hacked into tiny, gushing pieces.

Just keep talking? Bah. Blains is a spoiled thug, just one warlord among countless others all throwing their weight around with abandon. Reasoning with him is a fool's errand. Leiryn has never been perfect, used to be so much worse that if he somehow met his pathetic old bandit self today, he'd cut himself down without a second thought. And still he struggles to see from Blains' level, simply unable to rationalize what he threatens-

... Wait.

As much as the idea sickens him, when it hits the front of his mind, he feels like a frostbitten man spotting a distant campfire. The weight lifts just enough to allow him to compose himself, and new ideas begin to branch out from it. It's a huge risk, but he can think of no better option to start, and if it disarms his enemy, he has more room to work. Leiryn forces a smirk that creeps along his face, nearly matching Blains' own disgusting grin. His upright stance slacks ever so slightly, and he takes on the familiar posture of a cocksure raider.

"So you are a man of my own calling after all. I wasn't sure whether the stories they tell of you back home were exaggerated, but now I see I'm in the company of a true lord -- one who knows exactly how to use the might he's earned." He tips a hand toward the mounds of treasure, then flips it around to Audofleda, and again pointing to Terrwyn. "I could certainly never hope to match, but I'm no stranger to the sacking of towns and the taking of treasures... of all kinds. Surely you can tell from a glance after so much of your own conquest, yeah? I had to drop all of it when I was knighted, but I've been itching to get a taste of it again, particularly after so long staring at a fetching traitor like this."

The performance is pantomime to his ears, whatever scattered truths there are in it, and he can't know whether his swaggering manner alone will sell it; he feels his stomach knotting up with every word, curdling in sheer disbelief as he tries not to meet the women's eyes. But men like Blains are rarely of keen and curious intellect, and Terrwyn has surely taught him the value in an impossibly confident gamble of words, so he silently counts on the flattery and enthusiasm to grease the wheels.

"So I will heed your command at great haste, Sir Blains, but what's say you grant me some... alone time with the felon first, eh? Just a few minutes, my own reward for following the load of wenches all the way out here in the first place. You know what it's like."

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:55 pm

Thrown by this performance, before calm and triumphant, now bewildered and intrigued, the Steward of Levcomagus seems to be buying what Leiryn is selling. He strokes his goatee, regarding the young knight in a new light. But he isn't entirely a fool. He leans forward.

"You've got vinegar, boy. I admire that. Way you're standing..." he looks up and down at Leiryn's posture "...I'd wager you've been stretching a bow longer than you've been swinging a sword, say I well?" he doesn't wait very long for a response, and he doesn't need one. The slumped soldiers of a life-long archer would be well known to a man accustomed to the ways of war. "...In time to come, rich will be the rewards for those men of action such as us who faithfully serve our Lord, the Pendragon." He quickly and nonchalantly raises and lowers his cup in toast, the sigil knights quietly echo 'pendragon' and drink. "In time, I may have use for a man of your enterprising spirit. Especially one who understands the meaning of the word 'gratitude', for it is not a small thing that you ask". He smirks.

Clearing his throat, he straightens his back and adopts a more formal affect, resuming his former sarcastic undertone. "As an upstanding servant of Logres, you want to conduct your own 'independant interrogation' of this traitorous wench, for your report to Wayford, yes?". A few of the guards titter. "You can take her to the shed outside. I'll have to insist that Ron and John accompany you as far as the door and back, for your own safety. She might not look like it, but she's quite vicious, as her late husband discovered to his doom, rumor has it." Ron and John, two common spearmen who had been standing behind the head table, go over to Terwynn and untie her from the pillar. Audofleda shakes her head in disgust.

Leiryn uses a fate point to Crit Decietful. Deceitful raises by +1 to 9.

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:39 pm

Okay, okay. Terrwyn knows she should be mad at Leiryn for just striding in after them... but she can't seem to strongly disagree right now. She narrows her eyes at Blather, er, Blains. Seriously, is he a childish folktale villain brought to life? Audofleda is so not spending another minute in Prat-or's company if Terrwyn can help it.

Right, the ruse. Better put on her acting face!

"Oh no mister, don't take me," Terrwyn says as they take off the gag (uck, let's not repeat that experience ever again) fighting down any giggles by thinking of... bad things. Like what would happen if she did laugh. Right. "Oh gosh, I didn't know- I was just swept away by the poor ladies' cries, you know how it is. You're the worst, Sir Leiryn. Simply terrible. This is all a misunderstandi-"

"You're the best, Leiryn! Just awesome! I'll buy you a drink if you get us out alive," she whispers with a grin. "Alright, start speaking rough already. Tch, don't get all red- look, I'll go first okay?

"Taking off my pants? Pfft, go ahead. They don't hold any sentimental value, so..." Terrwyn speaks loudly as she walks around examining the things in the little shed. "Woah! Why the underclothes though? It's cold in here! Really, this is no way to conduct a proper interrog-ah! Hey! Sir, seriously-"

As the strange duet of protestations and other incoherent sounds continues, Leiryn hands the woman his sword. He grabs a couple of particularly nasty looking sharp pitchforks and stands behind the door. Terrwyn bends to spread nails closely around the entrance, pointy way up. She smiles up at him, and shouts, "You're still going? But how?!"

Terrwyn backs away and grips Leiryn's sword. Bastards. This could have all gone so well. But NO. Something has to go wrong in her life, without fail. Give her a freaking break already. >_> She nods at her friend. "Alright, that's it!" she screams and pushes over some tools. As they fall to the floor, Leiryn shouts over the clatter, "Help! The she-devil's attacking me!"

Go time :)

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: =)

Postby KleinerKiller » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:44 am

With pitchforks clenched tightly in each hand, Leiryn springs on the spearman who enters closest to him -- he thinks it's the one named Ron. Both men are caught in Terrwyn's trap and stumble forward; while Terrwyn pounces on the other -- John, assumedly -- Leiryn jabs one of the forks forward, skewering Ron in the shoulder. Ron lets out a pained grunt unnoticed by his companion, but he gets nothing further before Leiryn slams the other fork broadside into his temple. Blood sprays from the wound and the hapless guard drops like a sack of stones, though upon closer inspection, he only seems to have only been knocked out.

In the time it takes him to bring Ron down, Terrwyn decapitates the oblivious John with a single mighty swing, not even a gasp of surprise on the cusp of his lips. Clearly, lending her his sword was the right idea. The sight of the gushing stump stokes the flames he hasn't stopped seeing since he arrived, and he's momentarily tempted to finish his unconscious foe off with a final stab, but he quickly decides against it -- his own mental health aside, it doesn't look like Ron will be waking up any time soon, nor will he likely survive such an injury without quick treatment.

"H'okay, that's that done," Leiryn says, catching his breath. "Keep the sword until we're clear. Once you're dressed and ready, we break for the stables, find my horse, and charge out of here. We'll worry about what to do next once we get to my lookouts. Sound good?"

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:07 am

Terrwyn nods. "With luck, they won't care who's going out. Let's meet up with the other knights. If we are quick we can have the hall surrounded and get the 'contraband' back." She snorts. "Dick."

They get to work, stripping the dead man of his armour, which Terrwyn dons. She takes his spear, sword and shield, and hands Leiryn his sword back, along with the other shield and spear. "Thanks. Now let's get the hell out of here." ^^

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:03 am

They approach the stables cautiously and quietly, and come across an ungaurded row of horses, among them a magnificent white charger. They saddle it, mount up, and ride up to the stable exit. Once they pass out, they will stick out like a sore thumb. It'll be a quick dash to the exit before anyone can think to stand in their way.

Whoever's driving, roll Horsemanship.

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:17 pm

They leave the first pair of sentries in the dust before they even know what's happening. Riding through the streets, an officer spots them and yells at them to stop, but on the back of the Praetor's charger, they are able to well outpace the alarm following them. The men at the outer gate fall over themselves getting out of the way of the beasts trampling hooves, and before long at all, they are riding out into the evening twilight and then making rendezvous with the waiting knights. Before long at all, night falls, and they don't seem to have been pursued, at least yet.

Horsemanship Succeeded

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:47 am

"We have to go back to Bayeux," Leiryn sighs. With the rush of escape wearing off, the grim odds facing them have rapidly sunk in. "As awful as it is, there just isn't any possible way we slip back inside, rescue one -- let alone all -- of those women, and get back out with our lives intact."

He would give anything right now to charge back inside and demolish Blains' forces, saving Audofleda and the others and wiping one unjust leader off the face of the earth, but the reality of the situation is stacked against them, and they would likely only make things far worse even if they got away alive. If they're going to do anything, it had best be after rendezvousing with their fellow knights and seeing what Blains does next.

KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:06 am

"No. That's dumb. You're dumb. We should just go in there and free her!"

Is what Terrwyn says at first. Then she thinks a bit.

"Okay, but... well, no I guess this wouldn't work. Maybe we could!... Wait, scratch that. Erm... I mean, technically I could... nah." She runs a hand through her hair. "Maybe call upon the Archdruid! We helped him once."

She calls out loudly, "Sir, are you there? Yoohoo, Mr. Merlin! We could use some help over here! So, if you're just, I don't know, flying around...doing wizardy things..."

Okay, so that didn't work. She knew he was a loser.

"Ever heard of the buddy system, pal?!" Terrwyn yells. She takes a deep breath and turns to Leiryn. "It's fine. It's fine. We don't need him. We can, uh... uh." Shit. He's right.

Stupid. This is stupid. They're abandoning those women. That's not what super cool heroes do, right? They go in there and save them by doing... something.

Terrwyn hurries her horse faster. Don't do this. Don't go down this rooaad.

Maybe she shouldn't have brushed off those foragers. If she had just answered that old man's question, he might have said, "Oh you're going to Vire? We're partying like it's the end of the world there." They could have turned back then.

Maybe, if she wasn't so full of herself, she wouldn't have led the women all by herself to the gates. Then, while she was super busy looking at the princess' face, one of the other knights could have pointed out, "Hey. Sir Dummy. This really looks like an occupied town. We should turn back."

Stahp.

Really, they would have been better off if they had left them sitting in the dust at Caen.

Terrwyn shakes her head vigorously. Nuh uh. It's going to be okay. You know why? Because she's going to talk to the Prince, isn't she? Yes. She'll request an audience. She'll say,

"Hello you[r] awesome sexy Highness, Bladder's Praetor Blains is going to arrive with some Frankish noblewomen soon. But you don't need them. I think you should free them, because they're all ugly they're super old JUST DO IT NA it'll be really super nice of you? there's a Princess among them and I really like her she hasn't done anything she's the sister of King Clovis. You don't want to be a jerk, do you? some big feud, do you? Not that our army won't defeat them every time! We're awesome! Especially you. You're very awesome. Just, it's all so unnecessary it sounds like a nightmare for our common people we seem to have a lot on our plate, um, currently. Let's just get what we came for (gold) and go? Please?"

Sweet. Now to perfect that before they reach Bayeux. Terrwyn smiles at Leiryn. "It's going to be all okay. I think. I want us all to go as fast as possible, okay? Thanks!"

Oh right. Mental memo: raze the guy's castle (with him in it) to the ground after they're back in Britain. Almost forgot, haha

Haha. >.>

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:19 am

Bayeux

After the feast, Madoc has Ragnachar dragged before the gates of the city under a flag of truce, with the vulture banner held aloft. "Behold!" cries out the Prince, with his herald translating "Ragnachar, sometimes called King of Cambrai! His armies are destroyed, and the city of Caen lies in smolders! Three nights past you have seen us feast to its ruin! See! The flag of ancient and terrible Hunald, pried from his very bones! See this treasure, and the booty of your ruined race there carted by the river! Your cause is lost, no help hall you gain by impeding us! Surrender and you shall have mercy! Resist, and only horror shall await you! Take counsel, but do not test our patience! Ye know not the hour of our return!"

Meanwhile, back in camp, Roderick and Elad are taking stock of the treasure.

"What manner of helms are these?" asks Roderick, pulling out a strange flat-topped helm, with a simple face plate hanging down the front.
"I'm not sure, Sire. Wherever they're from, they aren't Frankish. Perhaps Italian?" replies Elad.
"Well how did they end up in Caen?"
"Pillaged, I expect. Seeing how we got them, I suppose that's what you call poetic justice."
"They're rather striking, don't you think?"
"Yes, and the face plate would be useful against bowmen, but the top worries me"
"Is it looking at you funny?"
"If it were, I'd punt it into the river, you know that sire."
"I have no doubt you'd teach it a lesson, marshal. Go on."
"It's the shape, sire. It doesn't look well suited to deflecting blows, in fact a good downward strike with a club or something at the top would just about break a man's neck, I'd wager."
"Well, that's the trade-off I suppose. Some good, some bad."
"I'd call it a wash at best. Of course, you know, those young knights in Britain always go wild for these sorts of novelties."
"You're saying they'll sell like hot bread,"
"Quite"
"..."
"I'll ensure a few chests make it onto your personal ship, sire"
"Good man".

Just then Leiryn and Terwynn arrive back at camp.

Praising the heroic deeds of others (modest) to the crown prince gave them each 25 glory. Praising yourself (proud) gave you 50 glory.

Proud Eliver Glory: +25 +25 +25 +50 = 125
Modest Persidius: +25 +25 +25 = 75
Modest Miles: +25 +25 +25 = 75
Modest Bleddyn: +25 +25 +25 = 75
Absent Terwynn: +25 +25 +25 = 75
Absent Leiryn: +25 +25 +25 = 75

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:05 am

Terrwyn and Leiryn find Persidius, Bleddyn, El and Miles in camp. She waves at them. "Hey guys!" She checks is anyone else is within hearing distance, before speaking further.

"We're in big trouble. The Franks aren't holding the southwest. That greasy fellow has been through, you know, No-Brains. And guess which town he picked to rest in. Yeah. The evil men took Aude! And the other ladies too. Erm, I had gone alone with them to the gates, see. I know I know," she holds up her hands. "I didn't want the Franks to have ten free kills alright?

"But Leiryn was great! He came after us and convinced Prattle to untie me by pretending to have been hunting the "rebel" down. ^^ We killed and rode our way out." Jerks took her special dagger too. And her poor Horsie.

"He's going to bring Audofleda here and probably parade her through the camp before Prince Madoc! There must be something we can do to save her no?" :(

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:52 am

"Yeah, erm, what she said," Leiryn mutters, somewhat embarrassed at the praise. "I should mention, Blains is in the company of those four decorated knights we narrowly beat back two years ago. The crescent, the leviathan, the... whatever the other two were. And his remaining army collectively seems quite thick-skulled, but they have numbers and strength going for them."

He tries to project an illusion of confidence to his allies, but whatever delirious energy let him capture Blains' attention seems to be eluding him now.

"So... plans?"

KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:23 am

Persidius is flabbergasted.

"Ok, well I expected you would not have the Frankish ladies when you got back. That was the plan... but you lost them to our liege's greatest rival?"

He grits his teeth, "The Earl will be furious. He may well have your heads for this!"

He doesn't say that, as knights, they can request trial by combat because he does not wish to imagine he will have to kill his friends.

Instead he sighs and says, "We must be quick. Gather your retainers, no hired swords, and we can slip away and ambush Sir Blains as he returns."

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Kivutar » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:52 am

"He tied you up like a prisoner?" roars Miles. "Gods help me, I'll tear his throat out through his arse!"

Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Hosea 3:1
Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Great Librarian

PreviousNext