Youtubers You're Subscribed To.

General interest items found around the web.

Re: Youtubers You're Subscribed To.

Postby DanteHoratio » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:28 pm

"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself." -Mark Twain

"I couldn't live a week without a private library - indeed, I'd part with all my furniture and squat and sleep on the floor before I'd let go of the 1500 or so books I possess." -HP Lovecraft
DanteHoratio
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep
Title: Let's get dangerous

Postby cmsellers » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:55 am

So I have finally started subscribing to YouTube channels. It started when I went down a rabbit hole of YouTube videos a few months ago, where I saw an interesting video and realized that the whole channel looked interesting, so I saved in in a text document.

Now, I watch YouTube videos by people I am not sure of in a private window, a habit that I developed after someone on TCS shared a juggalo documentary and I got Insane Clown Posse videos in "Recommended for you" for months afterwards.

However I have recently begun subscribing to some channels I have decided I trust enough not to give me mortifying YouTube recommendations.

Currently, I am subscribed to five channels.

Reman's Paradox, a guy who breaks down the mechanics of Paradox Interactive games (mostly EU4 but also some HOI4), though he has not posted in months.

Rachel Does Stuff, channel of Rachel Bloom, creator of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. Since she started the show it has mostly been the explicit versions of music videos from the show, but I subscribed in case she does anything interesting.
Laowhy86, an American expat living in China. There are three Western expats in China on YouTube who post a lot of videos on living in China who also interact with each other. The other two are ADVChina and serpentza. For some reason Laowhy86 is the one who I click on most when he shows up on "Recommended for you," so I decided to subscribe to him. May sub the other two later.

Shawn Woods, a guy who started a channel on survival skills and ended up making videos about mousetraps. It is weirdly fascinating.

Graham Stephan, a freelance real-estate agent who owns five rental properties. I started watching him because of his video explaining those "we buy houses, fast cash" signs, and kept watching because he is really interesting.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Marcuse » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:03 pm

Oh hey I didn't do this yet.

There's a few obvious ones like Game Grumps, Red Letter Media, Cinema Sins or Totalbiscuit (RIP) which I won't explain or link because that'd be like explaining Star Trek to people who also watch TV.

Of the less known ones, here are the ones I'd recommend or particularly want to explain:

Cryo chamber is a dark ambient music label that puts out regular album track samples and hour-plus length mixes. It sounds weird calling ambient music "dark" but it sort of fits the theme, which is less "calm sunny beach" and more "what's left after the world ends" etc.

Bloood Music is the YT channel of the synthwave label Blood Music. It posts regular updates about new releases from their artists. In much the same vein Odysseus posts synthwave themed mixes.

I've probably posted a ton of times in the past about Preston Jacobs but I'm still subbed years later. He's the best tinfoil hat Game of Thrones theorist on the internet, and about half of what he says makes some sort of sense. His style is pretty analytical, but he does have a sense of humour and seems to keep in mind that the books are just entertainment. He also does podcasts with RedTeamReview which are shared between his channel and theirs, which can be interesting if you have a couple of hours to kill.

Lindsay Ellis, former "nostalgia chick" and current person working in some form of film industry, occasionally posts videos on film analysis. She has a decidedly feminist perspective, but manages to avoid the more egregious end. I find her stuff interesting, but not what I'd watch all the time.

Weirdest of all is Alex Hefner. Yes, I sub to a reaction channel, and there's one single reason for that. The schtick this guy has is that he's a "hip hop head" who's listening to metal for the first time, and there's nostalgia value in seeing someone listen to my childhood in music for the first time. There is also a very NSFW video of him reacting to "decapitation fornication" by Infant Annihilator which is very funny if you're into metal. That said, I'm getting a little tired of it already so i wouldn't recommend it per se, it's just the most recent thing I subscribed to.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:01 am

OK, I have added several new channels from my list to the channels I have subscribed to. I am going to go over them in reverse order of how many subscribers they have.

Telltale is an ex-Jehovah's Witness who talks about religion and especially cults while doodling.

John Michael Godier talks about space stuff. Given how much people like space and how interesting some of his videos are, I am surprised he hasn't cracked 100k subs. Maybe it is because for the ones I have watched, he could probably cut them in half and lose very little.

Strange Aeons mostly blogs about lesbian dating, which admittedly isn't particularly relevant to me. However she did a funny video on incels and has done a couple more crazy people on the internet videos, so I am subscribing for those.

AronRa: While I have a strong aversion to the "skeptic" community, this guy is also an actual paleontologist and is currently doing a series which is basically the evolution of humans from the first life to the present which is really interesting in its presentation.

A Chick Called Albert is run by a Dutch guy who hatched a quail from a batch of supermarket quail eggs (quail eggs are usually fertile and eggs in European supermarkets are apparently unrefrigerated), and has since gone on to hatch a variety of eggs including a couple from wild birds which he hand raises with great difficulty.

Kiwami Japan has a Japanese guy in a claustrophobically tiny apartment making knives out of weird stuff.

I still have about twenty channels on my list to decide whether to add and am slowly adding to that list, so I will probably subscribe to even more channels and then eventually prune stuff back down. These six channels I added because I am either up-to-date on the stuff I want to watch or have decided I am going to go through the backlog.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:17 pm

Several new channels I've subbed to. This time I am going in the order I subbed them.

Knowing Better is a channel I decided to sub almost immediately after my last post. They guy is a charming veteran who owns ferrets. I catch errors in most of his videos, especially older ones (I think the record is four, though newer ones have a lot fewer obvious errors), but he is so self-effacing that they don't piss me off, even when I expect to be pissed off like his video defending Columbus.

How to Cake It features a Canadian former baker who makes giant, elaborate, beautiful cakes. Most of her cakes are not things I would want to eat, she favors making things way too sweet for my taste and then soaks her cakes in simple syrup, but she has a beautiful, almost professional-looking home kitchen, and the videos are soothing to watch. Which reminded me of...

Lofty Pursuits/Public Displays of Confection is a channel I discovered (well, I think Kate discovered and shared with people on Discord) about a year ago, when the owner was making candy for Hurricane Irma. It features soothing videos of the making of hard candy, usually image candy but some other kinds too.

Shadiversity is a guy who started making videos about medieval castles. He now does other videos on fantasy worlds which don't particularly appeal to me, but I decided to sub because he still does castle videos. As far as I can tell, he has focused only on Western European castles, which I assume is his area of expertise. I am hoping too at some point that he might look at castles and fortifications from the rest of the world.

Numberphile is, as the name suggests, a channel about math concepts. It is more interesting than I (or most people, probably) would have suspected.

Company Man talks about why various companies succeeded or failed.

City Beautiful is an urban planner who talks about city design, especially transportation, in various parts of the world. I just discovered this channel and subbed today, didn't even add him to my list first.

Also, I actually counted. The list of channels I am trying to decide are whether worth subbing is at thirty-seven. I am probably never getting it down to zero.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:52 pm

Company Man is a good channel, I've seen some of their stuff.

Also Dark5 now has a spinoff series called Dark Docs that is *gasp* narrated.

I have since subbed to CarlSagan42. He plays, not just plays but holds contests for, the best Mario Maker troll levels. He's now our favorite youtuber by far, sorry JamishT. Sometimes we'll catch his Twitch stream. There's so much creativity flowing out of the Mario Maker community that it's a shame the game is only available on a dead platform. My favorite video of his is "Larl Does Everything Twice, Twice"

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby KleinerKiller » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:54 am

I was going to list a bunch more, but I got lazy after the first entry, so screw it.

Clemps: A quirky, highly analytical Brit who puts together deep dives into certain video game franchises he's passionate about and any side material related to them, along with a few other topics for variety. Always compiles his essays and arguments in a delightful way that's accessible to newcomers yet enlightening even to fans of whatever's being discussed. He also does a semi-regular monthly podcast that delves into both hilarious and serious topics with a number of guest stars.

Recommended:
NieR Analysis (and the followup NieR: Automata Analysis; the whole video series is art)
Coffee With Clemps: Halloween Special

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby KleinerKiller » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:39 am

Double posting because I watch too much YouTube.

Overly Sarcastic Productions: One of my favorite recent channel discoveries, OSP is a channel co-run by "Red" and "Blue", two artists who do highly entertaining and informative summaries and narrations of various historical events, mythologies, classic plays and literature, etc. I more subscribe for Red's content than Blue's, but both are solid. My favorite thing by far, though, is Red's Trope Talk series, in which she delves into assorted storytelling tropes and cliches and the issues surrounding them as well as providing suggestions on how to make them work, while maintaining an even-handed attitude and cool sense of humor even on more controversial topics. It's a damn fine listen if you're multitasking, and the hilarious visuals are a great addition if you're more engaged.

Recommended:
Trope Talk Playlist
Legends Summarized: The Poetic Edda
Halloween Special: Dracula

SuperButterBuns: A slightly manic reviewer/analyst with stereotypical JRPG hero hair and a fast, confident voice. Most known for her "For Beginners" videos, which mix buckets of biting sarcasm and critique with genuine tips for those unfamiliar to a particular game or genre, but she does assorted other things as well.

Recommended:
Resident Evil 7 For Beginners
(would recommend others but I'm lazy and doing this out of order)

Fredrik Knudsen: A highly interesting documentarian who covers fascinating stories from both history and the internet in a series called "Down the Rabbit Hole". Unlike many who speak about the latter subject in particular, he strives to maintain an air of complete formality and objectivity, merely presenting the compelling details without juicing the content with snark and bias.

Recommended:
The Mouse Utopia Experiments
Time Cube

Shiey: A young Lithuanian adrenaline junkie and part-time lawbreaker who does urban traversal, parkour, and other stunts, but who differentiates himself from the flock by just being... fucking insane. He regularly breaks into and out of secure areas, free-climbs at heights that give me incredible vertigo and anxiety just from seeing them on a screen, and has dodged being arrested several times. He might very well be a dick (as many anonymous "urban freedom" punks are), but watching him try to walk atop a windy crane made my heart jump into my mouth and that's what matters.

Recommended:
Free climbing a 240m radio tower
Climbed the HIGHEST Crane in the Country (120m)
Escaping Factory After [Being] Spotted AND Search Started

ValkyrieAurora: Much in a similar vein as my Clemps recommendation above, but with a Swedish gal instead of a British guy and typically far shorter videos. If you checked out Clemps and liked him, you'll like her.

Recommended:
How Haunting Ground scarred my teenage self
Valkyrie Ventures: Yakuza 0

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby cmsellers » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:39 pm

I've added several channels to my subscriptions. This time, I'm going in alphabetical order. You may notice that with one exception, all of these new channels have a common theme.

Animal Wonders Montana. I usually find animal YouTubers kind of annoying. Pet YouTubers either have a few pets and make me feel inadequate about how I take care of mine, or a lot of pets and make really obvious mistakes, often making excuses for themselves as they do so. Animal rescue/education YouTubers tend to come across as kind of sanctimonious. Hannah, the main person for this channel (she has a male partner but I never see him and rarely hear him), does a good job as not coming across as sanctimonious, and has so many cute birds.

Arran Records. I love Irish music and at some point YouTube suggested their channel. They put whole albums online as single videos, great for background music, so I subbed.

Brave Wilderness. I first watched this channel maybe a year ago when someone showed me one of the videos of the host, Coyote Peterson, forcing various arthropods to bite and sting him. I watched a few of the other videos, then forgot about it until I subbed Animal Wonders Montana and YouTube recced it for me. Haven't watched any videos since subbing except the announcement of their new TV show, but I imagine I will soonish.

Jan Harteman is a Dutch waterfowl educator and conservationist who gets to go into exhibits at zoos and film. I found him looking for footage of magpie geese, one of my favorite waterfowl, and stayed for all the other interesting birds he has footage of. If you're not obsessively into birds you probably won't like this channel, but I think it's a hidden gem.

Lesley the Bird Nerd is another channel I found awhile ago. I watched several of her blue jay videos and then forgot about it. But when YouTube recommended it, I realized she's making videos of all her backyard birds now, not just the jays.

Tier Zoo. Creep mentioned this to me awhile ago, but "animals for gamers" didn't sound like something that would appeal to me, because I don't consider myself a gamer and don't even play the kinds of games this channel parodies. However he did a crossover with KnowingBetter and I watched one of the videos. There's something I find really appealing about it, maybe because I'm autistic and it's a new system of classification.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby DanteHoratio » Wed May 29, 2019 1:49 pm

"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself." -Mark Twain

"I couldn't live a week without a private library - indeed, I'd part with all my furniture and squat and sleep on the floor before I'd let go of the 1500 or so books I possess." -HP Lovecraft
DanteHoratio
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Fri May 31, 2019 9:50 pm

FamilyJules is fantastic. You ever check out the Super Guitar Bros.?

Bright Sun Films is a channel that features a variety of things. I got into it because I saw a video he did on an abandoned mall nearby and got hooked. He's got an Abandoned series in which he's toured the Silverdome and the McBarge. Google McBarge if you've never heard of it. He's also done a bunch of videos about Disney World and plans that never came to fruition, he's got a series called Bankrupt that dives into why certain companies went under. It's worth checking out imo.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby DanteHoratio » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:46 am

DanteHoratio
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:12 am

I've subscribed to a whole bunch more, so I figure I'll highlight the ones I think are most unusual, the ones that aren't quite like any other YouTube channel I know of.

Clint's Reptiles: Described by like half the comments as "the Bob Ross of reptiles," but I admit I've never been a fan of Bob Ross. On the other hand, watching a psychotically cheerful Mormon with a PhD in evolutionary biology describe why every reptile is "possibly the greatest pet reptile you could ever have" is possibly one of the greatest YouTube experiences you could ever have.

Worldbuilding Notes: Worldbuilding is a passion of mine, however I'm less fond of the worldbuilding community, and especially worldbuilding YouTube channels, which usually tell me what I already know. But this channel, initially created by a Polish woman to practice her Lojban, is just fascinating. (The first five videos are Lojban with English subs, the rest are in English.) The worlds she creates are really interesting, and her voice and the cute cartoons she makes (somewhat similar to Extra Credits, but usually prettier), just make these videos a joy to watch.

Counter Arguments: I debated including this one, because it's an explicitly political channel, but I realized it's the only political channel I'm subscribed to. It's a channel devoted to demolishing bad arguments, mixed with random rants on things like "nice" drivers and YouTube's fair use policy. He also has weird and vaguely-related mashups at the end, which are what usually what result in him getting copyright claims and losing monetization (which also makes it questionably fair use, since they're not essential to his argument, a point he actually misses on his video on that subject), and reuploads them with alternate endings when that happens, as well as reuploading when he feels he made a major mistake in a major video, which is something I approve of.

Atomic Shrimp: An English guy whose scambaiting videos started appearing in my feed, but I wouldn't have subbed over scambaiting, and I rarely watch such videos. No, what got to me is that in his scambaiting videos, he says something to the effect of "I do a lot of stuff, so if you're going to sub for the scambaiting and then complain that you're getting irrelevant stuff in your feed, don't sub." So I looked at his other stuff. It's eclectic, but a lot of it is pretty interesting.

I did a thing: Oh my god, if I haven't discovered Australia's YouTube channel, that means there's another person exactly like him in the same country, and isn't that a disturbing thought? But seriously, this guy does interesting things, while trying to present himself as extremely incompetent and slightly insane, and the result is weirdly fascinating. Honestly, I think that this might be possibly the best channel on YouTube.

I've subbed a lot of other very interesting, mostly very competent channels, but these five, like I said, are weird and quirky enough I feel I have to share them. Especially Worldbuilding Notes and I did a thing. I really like those two, have binge-watched their entire and near-entire archives respectively, and they're among the handful of YouTube channels I have notifications enabled for.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby DanteHoratio » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:42 pm

DanteHoratio
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:55 pm

Only one of these channels ended up standing the test of time. The others didn't hold my interest long-term. So I removed them.

Adam Ragusea: Though I subbed this guy before my last post, and debated including him, I ultimately didn't because I will probably never watch most of his videos. Generally, his videos are either hacks to improve various cooking methods, or rants about a cooking topic. Where it comes to the cooking tips, because A. I don't make a lot of the things he does, and B. I have different preferences than him in a lot of respects, and C. he doesn't generally add anything besides the cooking tips to make them worth watching, I don't watch most of those videos. However, the videos I do think are relevant to me can often be quite interesting, as are his occasional ranty videos, such as this one, where he gets a food scientist to explain why eating spicy foods doesn't make you tough.

Last edited by cmsellers on Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

PreviousNext