Looking on the Brighter Side, Things that are good

Discussion, in general

Re: Looking on the Brighter Side, Things that are good

Postby jbobsully11 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:48 pm

I had an eye exam this morning, and my eyes haven’t gotten any worse since the last time I went about two years ago. Today’s appointment ended with an interesting discussion about terrible neurologists (long story). I couldn’t find my sunglasses before I went (though I know I have two pairs somewhere), so I’ve been spending the last few hours looking like a drug addict because he needed to use dilating eyedrops.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby jbobsully11 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:09 am

(Holy double post, Batman!)

I had a phone interview earlier today for a job that would be fairly close by, and it went well. I was told they’d be done screening candidates by Friday, and they’ll let me know if they want me to come in for a face to face interview after that.

One small problem: I’m going to be on vacation in Washington next week. Hopefully they’ll still be doing interviews after that.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:33 am

Yesterday I went to Central Market and finally looked at their spice section. It is the best spice selection I have seen apart from Penzey's Spices. Now, Penzey's is cheaper and has like four times the variety, but is also a specialized spice store, and the Austin branch closed which means I have to order online and pay shipping.

Central Market's prices are higher, but it is more convenient, plus Central Market sells five spices I use rather a lot which I could previously only find at Penzey's: Aleppo pepper, Szechuan pepper, Telicherry black pepper, Ceylon true cinnamon, and Vietnam "cassia" cinnamon. It also sells at least two spices which Penzey's does not carry: long pepper and grains-of-paradise. Long pepper in particular is exciting, because I have been trying to find it for forever. It is what was used before chile peppers became widely available and supposedly has a similar heat, and while I probably won't use it often if it is just a more expensive version of chili peppers, I am still very excited to finally try it.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Kivutar » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:45 am

I'm getting married today.

Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Hosea 3:1
Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Great Librarian

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:10 am

Mazel tov!

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby cmsellers » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:23 am

Oh, wow, congrats, Kivutar! That is huge!

Sorry I didn't get you anything, but the price of anthrax these days ... you know?

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:37 pm

Congrats, Kiv!

I just turned the TV on and happened to find a delightfully terrible movie that just came out last year. Has anyone ever heard of Santa Jaws?

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:52 pm

Kivutar wrote:I'm getting married today.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Australia » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:14 pm

What are you talking about? I marred you months ag... Oh, married. Well, that's good too, I suppose.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby cmsellers » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:12 am

I just learned that my favorite song by my favorite truly modern band was featured in The Walking Dead. I mean, it happened more than two years ago, but give me a break; I don't watch that show.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:07 am

My schedule changes from week to week, and it just so happened that I had the last three days off. I figured I should do something fun, so I went on AirBnb and looked around until I saw this:

A cabin to myself in the Ozark area for about 60/night? Sure! Why not? When I got there, it turned out that it's a duplex-style cabin, but that's fine. Also, getting there was hampered by my phone charger going kaput (long story, but it worked out) and one of the cats I live with deciding to hide (making me search the house repeatedly, thinking I had lost him). But I made it!

I got there at about 5:30, but was running on a few hours of sleep, so I stayed in and watched TV. The next day was cloudy, windy, and a lil' rainy, and sitting by the lake wasn't very exciting, but it looked nice.

I ate here, because I decided to become a tourist for the day.

But it was so unexciting that I forgot about it in a few hours. I ended up going to Branson, which, for those who don't know, is a tourist trap of a town. Lots of museums, a theme park, live shows, kitschy flea markets and souvenir stores, and way too many visitor centers. I'm pretty sure I saw about 3 official, government run visitor centers and about 10 not-so-official ones, and they all advertised discounted tickets to all the shows. I didn't go to any shows, but I did find a Ripley's Believe It Or Not. I've wanted to go to one of those since I was a kid and I read about them in a book. So I did. I saw some cool stuff, but IDK if it was $20 worth.

Me with a Hulk made from car parts.

I drove to downtown Branson, where they have made a large stretch of lakefront a shopping area, with a Bass Pro Shop on one end and a bunch of boutiques on the other. I walked the whole thing and stopped in two stores. A moonshine distillery, where I tasted 13 flavors and got a good buzz going, and a hot sauce shop, where I got a good burn going (and bought two bottles). From there I walked up to the "historic" "downtown" area where flea markets and crap was to an ice cream parlor I'd seen on the way in.

I did not add the hot sauces to the split.

It was still cloudy and crappy, so I went to my cabin, ordered a pizza and watched football, as God intended.

Monday (today, in my mind), was sunny and beautiful! I checked out of my cabin, went to eat breakfast at a big ol diner that apparently feeds every old person in the area, and went back to my cabin for my phone charger. :roll: I looked up some parks, picked one, found out it's a federal park and they wanted money to use it, found a state park, and went there to do some "hiking" (I don't consider paved trails to be hiking).

After that, I got some BBQ and drove home. It was a good weekend.

The pictures were taken with my Canon T5i and Pixel phone.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby Marcuse » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:10 pm

You mean to say you didn't add "Bust-a-nut" hot sauce to your banana split????

;)

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:11 pm

The Austin Gilbert and Sullivan Society did what they call a concert performance of Patience, which means one show, piano accompaniment instead of a full orchestra, street clothes, and reading from scripts. I went, it was good.

Though they modernized it to explain the street clothes and part of their modernization was that they had hipsters self-identifying as hipsters. Every hipster I have met has very strongly rejected labels, so I cringed every time they did that.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Malfeasinator » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:42 am

cmsellers wrote:The Austin Gilbert and Sullivan Society did what they call a concert performance of Patience, which means one show, piano accompaniment instead of a full orchestra, street clothes, and reading from scripts. I went, it was good.

Though they modernized it to explain the street clothes and part of their modernization was that they had hipsters self-identifying as hipsters. Every hipster I have met has very strongly rejected labels, so I cringed every time they did that.

They were only pretending to be hipsters like, ironically or whatever?

Malfeasinator
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: this guy

Postby cmsellers » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:47 am

Friday I tried to go to Corpus Christi and had car troubles that made me waste three hours and fucked a lot of other stuff up too. But there was a bright side to all of this.

In Nixon City, a truck was just sitting at a four-way intersection, not moving, for five minutes. I was right by a Lowe's, which is a Central Texas grocery chain, not the hardware store. So I went in to use the background, saw three brands of sausage I had never seen, and got a package of each to try. Two of them are some of the best sausages I have ever had.

Apparently there is a specific kind of central Texas sausage called Czech sausage, and it is fantastic. And I only tried two or three brands, there's apparently a ton more I haven't tried yet. I need to get on that.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

PreviousNext