Minor annoyances

Discussion, in general

Re: Minor annoyances

Postby iMURDAu » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:57 pm

Your phone should switch freely between wi-fi and cell connection.

But yeah I'd love for a phone manufacturer to tell facebook/instagram to shove it sideways deep, deep, deeper in their anal cavity. What other thing have people ever bought/sold/traded/bartered for that comes with shit you don't want and can't get rid of that negatively affects the performance of the thing? And then did it again? And everyone else was doing it too?

Hey at least they didn't just take a chunk of your storage space overnight and fill it with a U2 album.

Yet.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby cmsellers » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:28 pm

iMURDAu wrote:Your phone should switch freely between wi-fi and cell connection.

And that is the problem. It keeps switching to data from my home WiFi network while I still had full WiFi reception. It cost me about 200 MB in data before I realized it was doing this and turned mobile data off again.

Actually the issue seems to be that WiFi was automatically turning off when I have mobile data turned on. You can set your phone to automatically disable WiFi when it goes to sleep, but I did not enable that so it should not be doing that.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Absentia » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:08 am

Before I moved, there was this great Chinese takeout place down the street. You could tell they used good, fresh ingredients and the food wasn't super greasy. It was great.

I have yet to find a comparable establishment in Richmond. I got an order of orange chicken tonight that tasted like it had been sitting in the back of a freezer for a year.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:33 am

I had to uninstall Google Docs to make space. Then I realized that you cannot edit Drive Docs on a mobile device without the Docs app, even with a connection. You cannot even use it in a browser by requesting desktop mode. What genius thought two different apps for viewing and editing docs was a good idea?

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Learned Nand » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:34 pm

cmsellers wrote:What genius thought two different apps for viewing and editing docs was a good idea?

Google Drive is for viewing a lot more than just documents. Given the limited space on phones, it makes sense to bundle functionality that won't often be needed in a separate application.

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby cmsellers » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:25 pm

aviel wrote:Google Drive is for viewing a lot more than just documents. Given the limited space on phones, it makes sense to bundle functionality that won't often be needed in a separate application.

I almost never open a Google Drive document if I am not going to edit it.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Learned Nand » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:38 pm

Sure, but Google Drive hosts a lot more than just documents. You might have the google drive app primarily to view images, or non-google documents, or any other arbitrary kind of file you might have on your file system.

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby Anglerphobe » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:02 pm

Britain produces a multitude of dark, gritty detective shows in which the characters speak most of their lines in an indistinct mumble.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby NathanLoiselle » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:16 pm

Don't worry. Canada has a multitude of bright, shiny comedies that thrive, some would say depend, on sarcasm.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:11 am

Anglerphobe wrote:Britain produces a multitude of dark, gritty detective shows in which the characters speak most of their lines in an indistinct mumble.

And thank you for that. My mother loves those shows.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:22 pm

There is a hold on a book I have due today. There are six copies, two of which are "in transit," presumably to the library of the person who requested the hold. Because the hold has either not arrived or been picked up yet (not sure which one), I cannot renew it.

Going to the library is a bit of an annoyance, so rather than return it then put a hold on it myself and pick it up again in a few days, I am going to wait a couple days, rack up some fines, and see if I can't renew it once the in transit copies get where they are going/get picked up.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:13 pm

This is the second day that someone a few blocks from me has played Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" really badly for five or ten minutes and then stopped. I love that song, but this person is butchering half the notes. I wonder what the story is. It does not seem to last long enough to be practice or busking.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:11 am

Groceries are heavy enough to trigger the seatbelt alarm for the passenger-side front seat on my new car. So I dealt with several minutes of that, then plugged the seabelt in so I don't have this issue in the future. Well, not until there is someone in my passenger seat again and I forget to plug it back in afterwards.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby ghijkmnop » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:01 pm

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:41 pm

cmsellers wrote:Groceries are heavy enough to trigger the seatbelt alarm for the passenger-side front seat on my new car. So I dealt with several minutes of that, then plugged the seabelt in so I don't have this issue in the future. Well, not until there is someone in my passenger seat again and I forget to plug it back in afterwards.

Print out cards asking the rider to kindly buckle after they're done riding and hand one to them upon entering the vehicle. Maybe even ask for a dollar deposit. Or if that's too much trouble just cut all cords coming and going to that seat.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

PreviousNext