Let's lose weight together!

Discussion, in general

Re: Let's lose weight together!

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:35 pm

Anglerphobe wrote:Keeping your muscles in use is particularly important in losing weight like this. It's surprising how easy it is to lose significant muscle mass when cutting down in this way. If you aren't already, doing bodyweight strength exercises should easily be enough assuming you have ordinary amounts of muscle to begin with. If you're a beefcake you might want to look into protein supplements to conserve your muscles while you're cutting fat.

I am by no means a beefcake, people have assumed that I'm strong but I'm really not very. I can barely do a few pushups or situps in a row. Part of the problem, I assume, is that I'm pushing against what ought to be my own weight, plus the equivalent of a small woman sitting on my back. I figure it'll be easier to get some muscles going after I've slimmed down. As it is, I do a fair bit of walking. I did 4.5 miles in 80 minutes today, for example. I don't have a FitBit watch or anything, I just worked out the distance on google maps and kept track of the time. I don't own any weights or have an inclination to purchase any, do you have any recommendations as to what I could be doing for my upper body?

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:41 pm

Many of you will know that I have trouble with my joints - mainly my knees and occasionally hips. I generally describe it as arthritis but haven't had a proper diagnosis. I've always been glad that my arms aren't affected.

I started doing daily press-ups - not too many and gradually building up, so as not to overdo it - when I started trying to lose weight, because I read the same thing, that it's important to do strength exercises when losing weight - and I don't really put a lot of strain on my arms in my daily life.

I've been kind of letting that slide the last week or so though, because it turns out after a month of that my elbows are shot too.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Anglerphobe » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:05 pm

Battling ropes would be a good choice. You can learn the techniques to work pretty much all of your main upper body muscles and it's good for cardio too.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:00 am

Anglerphobe wrote:Battling ropes would be a good choice. You can learn the techniques to work pretty much all of your main upper body muscles and it's good for cardio too.

Allow me to rephrase, things that would not require me to go anywhere or buy anything.

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:02 pm

So, I did it! I didn't manage to keep up the press-ups or increase muscle tone, but I lost a stone and a half, and I'm at my target weight.

Now I just have to find a balance to maintain this weight without putting it back on or losing any more.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Tesseracts » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:41 am

I’m down to 290 due to an appetite suppressant called Saxenda.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby jbobsully11 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:26 pm

epic bump

I haven’t really been trying to lose weight lately (because I’m lazy, not because I don’t need to). But according to the app on my phone, I was walking about 6600 steps a day with the job I had before my last one.

With my new job, I’ve walked an average of >9200 steps per day so far this week, including Sunday when I hardly moved at all. Though I’m sure that’s at least partly because of my schedule (10 hours per day, 4 days per week). I’ll see how tomorrow balances things out, I guess.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby iMURDAu » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:21 am

I'm a stick compared to what I used to be. I started losing weight when I changed jobs at the beginning of last year. I
was still at a store just was doing vendor receiving. But the hours were 4 am to noon and I wasn't sleeping much. Then I switched to stocking dairy (better hours, closer to home) at another store in November.

That accelerated my weight loss because gallons of milk are heavy and butter comes in 36 lb. cases that you are expected to actually lift off the pallet with your bare hands.

I used to be 210-220 and now I'm trying to keep at 150.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby jbobsully11 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:33 pm

I lost a decent amount of weight during the summer of 2017 when my job mostly consisted of walking back and forth on a bridge for ~6 hours a day, six days a week (around 15-30k steps a day while dragging/carrying somewhat heavy equipment), but that job only lasted about a month and a half.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:00 pm

bump

Note to self: lime flavored potato chips are remarkably/annoyingly addictive.

Going by how well my clothes have fit me, my weight seems to have been fluctuating over the last few months. I should really invest in a reliable scale to see how much.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:40 pm

jbobsully11 wrote:Going by how well my clothes have fit me, my weight seems to have been fluctuating over the last few months. I should really invest in a reliable scale to see how much.

Well, I bought a scale (this one, which got really good ratings). It came today, and it says I weigh 213 pounds, which is considerably less than I thought. So either I have absolutely no concept of how much I weigh (entirely possible, but disturbing), or this scale is bad. I'm leaning toward the former.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Windy » Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:45 am

145 lbs down from 180 but I'm probably not healthy for a bunch of other reasons

Windy
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:53 am

According to the app on my phone that my scale saves data to, I've lost almost seventeen pounds in about a year (from 239 lbs at the end of last January to just over 222 lbs yesterday). I was almost proud of myself until I saw my last post in this thread. I don't even have that date saved in the app, so I can see how much of that gain was fat (probably most of it, tbh).

Screw it, I'm telling myself it was a typo.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Previous