James Gunn fired from GOTG 3 over old tweets

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: James Gunn fired from GOTG 3 over old tweets

Postby Absentia » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:06 am

Care to elaborate on how that's applicable here?

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Crimson847 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:50 am

Absentia wrote:Care to elaborate on how that's applicable here?

Unless I miss my guess, he's positing that SJWs and the alt-right are in a prisoner's dilemma of sorts. Each is given a button labeled "shame my opponents into silence". If nobody presses the button, then everyone gets a vigorous and enlightening debate and society gets a chance to sift through their ideas, keep the good, and toss the bad in an open and fair manner, aka the peaceful negotiation option. If one presses the button and the other does not, their side gets to make their case to the public unimpeded while the other side gets muzzled, aka the unconditional surrender option. If both press the button, both of them get muzzled and the wishy-washy milquetoasty moderates win the day again--what we might call the Molotov-Ribbentrop option, in reference not to the creation of that pact but the breaking of it.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Windy » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:48 am

Crimson847 wrote:

Unless I miss my guess, he's positing that SJWs and the alt-right are in a prisoner's dilemma of sorts. Each is given a button labeled "shame my opponents into silence". If nobody presses the button, then everyone gets a vigorous and enlightening debate and society gets a chance to sift through their ideas, keep the good, and toss the bad in an open and fair manner, aka the peaceful negotiation option. If one presses the button and the other does not, their side gets to make their case to the public unimpeded while the other side gets muzzled, aka the unconditional surrender option. If both press the button, both of them get muzzled and the wishy-washy milquetoasty moderates win the day again--what we might call the Molotov-Ribbentrop option, in reference not to the creation of that pact but the breaking of it.

The button is either labeled "be more batshit insane because they started it" or "be more batshit insane because I'm a self-righteous short-sighted overemotional hypocrite who thinks he's perfect and has never heard of the concept of mutually assured destruction" or "be more batshit insane because I hate society and want to watch the world burn".

Someday the batshit insanity will destroy the fabric of society and we all deserve it.

But here's the other thing. You can fake twitter screenshots. It's easy to do. Things that are folding out in real time: Like Roseanne calling someone a monkey-yeah I get the outrage then. But I'm wary of only screenshots BECAUSE of how easily things can be created.

What if I told you everything else in life is also fake.

Windy
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:05 pm

It can't be all fake, he didn't deny making those jokes. Here's a screenshot to prove it :P

Spoiler: show
tweet.png
tweet.png (75.87 KiB) Viewed 5088 times

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: =)

Postby Krashlia » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:27 pm

Everyone failed to support free speech and the ability to make awful jokes on principle. Everyone rushed to uphold all the wrong values. They all failed.

As for the leftward end, I consider them extra deserving of their hurt feelings because of their inconsistencies and double-standards.

Last edited by Krashlia on Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Krashlia » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:29 pm

Cobra-D wrote:I’ve read the tweets, and that shit was disgusting and appalling. I really expected better from Gunn, I mean dude wrote GOTG and couldn’t make funnier jokes then that? Shoot, even family guy could do a better pedophillia joke, and I’m sure they have on more than one occasion.

It didn't need to be funny. The point is that he, and everyone else, no matter their politics, has a right to say it.

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Crimson847 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:12 pm

Windy wrote:
Crimson847 wrote:

The button is either labeled "be more batshit insane because they started it" or "be more batshit insane because I'm a self-righteous short-sighted overemotional hypocrite who thinks he's perfect and has never heard of the concept of mutually assured destruction" or "be more batshit insane because I hate society and want to watch the world burn".

Someday the batshit insanity will destroy the fabric of society and we all deserve it.

Batshit insanity already destroyed the fabric of a society lots of times. Each time, its members just built a new one. And the insanity comes back weaker and weaker every time.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Windy » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:08 pm

Krashlia wrote:Everyone failed to support free speech and the ability to make awful jokes on principle. Everyone rushed to uphold all the wrong values. They all failed.

It's a fundamental flaw with libertarianism: You cannot protect your libertarian ideals without authoritarian measures. Any freedom will eventually be used to take away freedom from others. Conservatives thought they wanted businesses to do whatever they want and let the free market resolve everything, what they got was the free market in technology forming an oligopoly with a huge amount of influence and extreme hostility towards conservatives. Liberals thought people should be allowed to say, believe, and live however they want as long as it doesn't harm anyone else no matter how much you disagree with them. Well, now liberals are extinct and those ideals are dead and I'm not actually sure how that happened.

Batshit insanity already destroyed the fabric of a society lots of times. Each time, its members just built a new one. And the insanity comes back weaker and weaker every time.

Uhh, how exactly? World War 1 only happened about a century ago and that was worse than just about everything that came before it. Then World War 2 happened and that was even worse than World War 1. Then we had millions of people dying from communism and almost ended humanity with nukes and that wasn't even 50 years ago. The long term trend of the human race is war and conflict. We tell ourselves we're more civilized now but human nature doesn't just change in 50 years.

Windy
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Crimson847 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:03 am

Windy wrote:Uhh, how exactly?

Just for example, folks on the right argue that this supposedly world-shattering domestic conflict we're living through is basically the third Red Scare: errybody's all paranoid about Russian infiltration and espionage yet again. Folks on the left argue that we're instead experiencing another ethno-nationalist conflict between the "real Americans" and dirty foreigners. Regardless of who's correct, it's instructive to consider how we pursued such conflicts, say, 100 years ago, versus how we're pursuing them today.

My friend Dennis Prager writes, “You and I are living through the greatest mass hysteria in American history. For many Americans, the McCarthy era held that dubious distinction, but what is happening now is incomparably worse.”

The mass hysteria he has in mind is the liberal and mainstream-media groupthink about Trump and allegations of Russian collusion. I’ll leave that argument for others, or at least for another time.

Instead, I’d like to dissent from the claim that today’s hysteria — or the hysteria of the McCarthy period — deserves the title of “greatest mass hysteria in American history.”

My nominee for that would be the domestic terror fomented by Woodrow Wilson during the First World War and the first “red scare” that followed it. Let me offer a small taste of the evidence (some of it culled from my book, Liberal Fascism).

During the war, the American Protective League — a quasi-official squadristi boasting membership of a quarter million at its height — beat up dissidents, spied on citizens, and fomented mobs in close cooperation with the state.

The first modern propaganda ministry in the Western world, the Committee for Public Information, dispatched an army of nearly 100,000 agents to foment passion for the war and distrust of German Americans and others. The CPI’s “Four Minute Men” were equipped and trained to deliver a four-minute speech at town meetings, in restaurants, in theaters — anyplace they could get an audience — to spread the word that the “very future of democracy” was at stake. In 1917–18 alone, some 7,555,190 speeches were delivered in 5,200 communities.

Wilson considered German-American citizens and other “hyphenated Americans” to be enemies of the people: “Any man who carries a hyphen about with him carries a dagger that he is ready to plunge into the vitals of this Republic whenever he gets ready.”

The German language was barred from public in many parts of the country. German authors were purged from libraries, families of German extraction were harassed and taunted, sauerkraut became “liberty cabbage,” and — as Sinclair Lewis half-jokingly recalled — there was talk of renaming German measles “liberty measles.”

At least one German-American was lynched. That man, coincidentally named Robert Prager, swore he loved America, but the mob didn’t care:

“They stripped him totally naked, and they put a rope around his neck, and they paraded him down Main Street, making him sing patriotic songs,” Stevens says. “And they would take their beer bottles and break them in front of him. So he had to step on the broken beer bottles, cut his feet really badly.”

In 1919, at a Victory Loan pageant, a man refused to stand for the national anthem. When the music ended, a furious sailor shot the “traitor” in the back three times. According to the Washington Post, “the crowd burst into cheering and handclapping.”

Another man who refused to rise for the national anthem at a baseball game was beaten by the fans in the bleachers.

In February 1919, a jury in Hammond, Ind., took two minutes to acquit a man who had murdered an immigrant for yelling, “To Hell with the United States.”

In 1920, a salesman at a clothing store in Waterbury, Conn., received a six-month prison sentence for referring to Lenin as “one of the brainiest” leaders in the world.

Mrs. Rose Pastor Stokes was arrested, tried, and convicted for telling a women’s group, “I am for the people, and the government is for the profiteers.”

The Republican anti-war progressive Robert La Follette spent a year fighting an effort to have him expelled from the Senate for disloyalty because he’d given a speech opposing the war to the Non-Partisan League.

The Providence Journal carried a banner — every day! — warning readers that any German or Austrian “unless known by years of association should be treated as a spy.” The Illinois Bar Association ruled that members who defended draft resisters were not only “unprofessional” but “unpatriotic.”

In Oklahoma, opponents of the war were tarred and feathered, and a crippled leader of the Industrial Workers of the World was hung from a railway trestle. At Columbia University, the president, Nicholas Murray Butler, fired three professors for criticizing the war, on the grounds that “what had been wrongheadedness was now sedition. What had been folly was now treason.”

I could go on for pages. Tens of thousands were arrested, many for thought crimes. This is not to say there weren’t real domestic terrorists and radicals who did their part to invite this mass hysteria. But that doesn’t change the history. A few dumb tweets and other comments from Obama appointees about Trump’s “treason” can’t hold a candle to what we’ve seen before.

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/w ... -hysteria/

- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Windy » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:17 pm

So what you're saying is we should be glad our current generations are full of lazy useless people addicted to the internet.

Windy
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Learned Nand » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:59 pm

Windy wrote:The long term trend of the human race is war and conflict.

This is the opposite of true.

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby Crimson847 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:40 pm

Windy wrote:So what you're saying is we should be glad our current generations are full of lazy useless people addicted to the internet.

What I'm saying is, I think the cosmic indifference of the universe (as represented by a huge meteor or a gamma-ray burst or a clathrate gun or some other natural mass-extinction event) is more likely to kill off the human race than we ourselves are.

- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:03 pm

This thread kind of strayed away from the original topic... it started with James Gunn, and now we are on to human extinction.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby blehblah » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:32 pm

Aquila89 wrote:This thread kind of strayed away from the original topic... it started with James Gunn, and now we are on to human extinction.

Had it been a Michael Bay thread, it would be understandable...

A quantum state of signature may or may not be here... you just ruined it.
blehblah
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Error General, Panic Colonel

Postby Windy » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:08 am

aviel wrote:
Windy wrote:The long term trend of the human race is war and conflict.

This is the opposite of true.

Up until the point where nuclear war happens and then 100% of the human race dies from violence. It's a cylical pattern: We're less violent in peacetime compared to in the past, but each time things turn to shit we kill each other even harder than before.

Windy
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

PreviousNext