Controversial opinions you hold

Discussion, in general

Re: Controversial opinions you hold

Postby Absentia » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:02 am

Tesseracts wrote:Update: I Googled it and apparently the new character was originally in Powerpuff Girls. Which means... ?????

This is confusing on a lot of levels, but my main takeaway is OH MY GOD THAT WAS 26 YEARS AGO I'M SO OLD.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:23 am

Is it wrong that everytime Absentia posts I read it in my neighbours voice.

And while I'm here... I am certain that summer sausage and long pig are one and the same meat.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:44 am

NathanLoiselle wrote:I am certain that summer sausage and long pig are one and the same meat.

I mean, summer sausage is typically long [pig meat], It's just not [long pig] meat.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Krashlia » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:01 am

NathanLoiselle wrote:Is it wrong that everytime Absentia posts I read it in my neighbours voice.

And while I'm here... I am certain that summer sausage and long pig are one and the same meat.

(leans forward) ...What?

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:14 pm

Mansplaining and femsplaining are not real. People can be condescending assholes regardless of gender and just because one does it to another doesn't make it any worse than same sex dickishness.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby cmsellers » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:48 pm

I mean, there's a certain manner of condescendingly explaining/correcting which I've only ever encountered from men, typically online. I absolutely do believe mansplaining exists, it's just that the people who claim to call it out usually aren't.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby 52xMax » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:19 am

cmsellers wrote:I mean, there's a certain manner of condescendingly explaining/correcting which I've only ever encountered from men, typically online. I absolutely do believe mansplaining exists, it's just that the people who claim to call it out usually aren't.

Care to elaborate? Or explain, if you will.

I believe actors should be able to play against type, because pretending to be something different than what they are is in their job description.

I also believe superheroes shouldn't be scared to get a date without being accused of being supervillains, because they already got enough on their plate saving the world on a regular basis.

"When in doubt... well, don't ask me!"
52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Salmon the Wise

Postby DoglovingJim » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:30 pm

I believe that politicians should all be required to be paid minimal wage and not a cent more, so they understand and emphasise with our working class.

The idea came from some film which slips my mind, in which a German general would only eat the same rations given to those under his command so that he would understand how far they can go.

EDIT:
The film was Battle of the Bulge, it went like this after someone tried to give him a fancy meal.

"I told you, tanks run on petrol
and soldiers run on rations.
I must eat as my men do so I know
how far they can go. Take it away."

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby Anglerphobe » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:45 pm

Salary is actually a fairly small part of their total income. Even if it is higher than it ought to be, you can't get rich off it. Comfortable, but not rich. Property, trusts, and their own private businesses account for their wealth. I guess you could make being a member of parliament like being a member of the order of the temple of Solomon and have everyone give up all their own holdings to join.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:01 pm

Anglerphobe wrote:Salary is actually a fairly small part of their total income. Even if it is higher than it ought to be, you can't get rich off it. Comfortable, but not rich. Property, trusts, and their own private businesses account for their wealth. I guess you could make being a member of parliament like being a member of the order of the temple of Solomon and have everyone give up all their own holdings to join.

I would imagine that salaries for politicians vary wildly based upon level of government, nation and how much cocaine/prostitute money you can embezzle from the public.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby CommanderRidley » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:16 pm

Controversial opinion: If you get in trouble at work for something you said on social media, you're not a victim, you're an idiot.

Exception: You get in trouble because somebody else posted a picture of you without your consent. Don't post your friends' pics without their consent, people.

CommanderRidley
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep
Title: Commander

Postby JamishT » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:57 pm

DoglovingJim wrote:I believe that politicians should all be required to be paid minimal wage and not a cent more, so they understand and emphasise with our working class.

The problem with this is that if those with lots of power have little money, bribery becomes way easier and more effective.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:04 pm

Doesn't seem like lobbying/bribery is failing at the moment though.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby gisambards » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:01 pm

iMURDAu wrote:Doesn't seem like lobbying/bribery is failing at the moment though.

That doesn't mean it's a good idea to find a way to make it worse.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:10 am

As of now the way to bribe is through campaign donations and lobbying. If we reduce the salary of politicians it will probably lead to higher amounts of campaign donations and we've already got lobbyists providing housing for people, wink wink nudge nudge of course they aren't right, so imo it wouldn't be much worse for the people being governed.

I haven't heard of too many politicians that were struggling financially in their personal life before they decided to make a run for office which is an expensive undertaking.

Say you need 8k monies to run and you're living paycheck to paycheck. You're beholden to whoever loans you monies to begin with, or the cynic in all of us are at least going to believe that.

I think their salaries should be reduced to save taxpayer money. I think they should try to relate to the common folk in more than just a salary reduction. In 'Murica when a Senator or Congresshmuck isn't in D.C. they're sitting on their ass or they're on vacation. It's worse for the state government people. They live in the state and you never see or hear from their ass until it's election time. Hold town hall meetings, ask for input besides just on social media, show up at a community event and not just to campaign. Fucking volunteer somewhere sometimes. I've yet to see that really happen in all my years except with one person and he ended up becoming the governor of Maryland.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

PreviousNext