Minor annoyances

Discussion, in general

Re: Minor annoyances

Postby Malfeasinator » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:20 pm

When you get older, for some reason, your body figures out how to optimize the generation of eye boogers. You can wash your face and 15 minutes later, boom, another eye booger.

You'll swear it was a curse from the Sandman, for that time you butchered "Enter Sandman" at karaoke, but it's just one of those things that nobody tells you about because they figure "eh, you'll find out soon enough."

Malfeasinator
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: this guy

Postby NathanLoiselle » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:46 pm

Go to the doctor. Your eye boogers shouldn't regenerate that quickly.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:47 am

NathanLoiselle wrote:Go to the doctor. Your eye boogers shouldn't regenerate that quickly.

Nor should your doctors.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby iMURDAu » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:40 pm

I have to go to the post office and have my mother's mail forwarded to my parents house. Idk why a year after we moved that we're getting all kinds of junk mail with her name but it's gotta stop. We get more junk for her than for us. It's just weird to me. I mean, we lived with my parents for about 8 months between 2011 and 2012 and after we moved out we'd rarely get something with one of their names on it at our apartment.

What happened to make these companies and the postal service decide that as of around February this year that she needs to have junk mail delivered here?

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby jbobsully11 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:20 am

Apparently, even though I filled out all the forms correctly, I don’t know the 5-digit PIN I used last year, so H&R Block won’t let me file my taxes online.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby cmsellers » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:53 am

My Massachusetts bank now charges a $1.25 fee to transfer money between banks. It didn't do this until it updated its banking software, and while the banking software it uses way now is way better than the old stuff, I may see about switching banks while I'm back in MA.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby NathanLoiselle » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:13 pm

I'm sure the charge and the software change were just planned for the same day and that neither one nor the other is linked beyond that.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:43 pm

jbobsully11 wrote:Apparently, even though I filled out all the forms correctly, I don’t know the 5-digit PIN I used last year, so H&R Block won’t let me file my taxes online.

Chrome saved ours iirc. I think you can call the IRS and get last years pin.

https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/retrieve-your-ip-pin

Yup. You can also use your Adjusted Gross Income from the previous year. Unless they're jerks and won't let you. But you'll need your AGI to reset your pin.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:08 pm

It annoys me that I will most probably die with an unresolved losing record against my older brother in fights. He got to beat me up with impunity for years, and by the time we a fair match for each other it was no longer acceptable for us to run it back. He will always have that on me now.

In fact, consequence free brawling is one of childhood's most underrated aspects. When you're a kid, you don't have the power to do much damage and neither does your opponent. You can fight completely recklessly and the worst anyone gets is a missing milk tooth or a bloody nose, outside of freak occurrences. Even in cases where it's socially sanctioned, like at the gym or in competition, grown men can do so much damage to each other that there will be consequences for it. I was never left walking lopsided for a week by a scrap with my brother when I was nine. I miss that freedom to go apeshit without anyone getting really hurt.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby NathanLoiselle » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:52 pm

I've always wanted to know. What does Anglerphobe have to be scared of anglers? I'm mildly annoyed that I don't know the answer.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:19 pm

The name came from a fishing trip I went on with some friends years ago. Two of the guys on said trip were English and they couldn't catch shit. We joked that the fish were anglophobic, which became angler-phobic on the second day when none of us could catch shit. I decided to use it as an internet moniker on a whim, initially with an avatar of a fish. I have been wondering whether to change it to something less stupid, but as I'm no less stupid than I've ever been I think it can stay for a while.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby NathanLoiselle » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:39 am

Nah. It's because you're afraid of anglers. That's it! :)

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:22 am

The mirror in my bedroom is damaged a little on the corners. I didn't break it: it was like that when I moved in, and I never minded it nay more than any other of the various bits of battered decor. But today I managed, in a momentary lapse of coordination, to catch the end of my finger on the edge of what is after all broken glass.

It's not a serious cut but it went right through the skin and it's painful and messy and in a really awkward place and I suspect it's gonna take a while to heal because it's all peeled back from the edges.

mildly gross image

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby iMURDAu » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:30 pm

My reaction to the "Mildly Gross Image"

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:58 pm

I need a phone, so I got a 20-dollar smartphone from TracFone. It mostly works like any other smartphone, which means that there are three things which are really annoying me.

The first is that you need to turn on mobile data to use it, but if you do this, it will keep switching from WiFi back to data, so I need to turn it off every time I have WiFi and on every time I want to use data.

The second is that it comes with a lot of apps that I do not want, like Facebook, Instagram, and 1Weather. I can disable but not remove most of them, however the 1Weather app cannot be disabled. I was able to turn off the data it was using in the background (and was pissed that it was doing it), but the only way to get rid of it completely involves rooting my phone. I remember from the last time that I tried to root an Android device that it was a giant pain in the ass and decided removing a weather app I do not want was not worth it.

However the third and currently most annoying thing is that this is a cheapass phone with 8 GB of space and no microSD slot. 4.8 GB is reserved for memory and 2.9 GB is used by the phone (ie available for apps, media, and cached space). 2.9 GB is not a lot, and I had a little over half a gig available before I installed Waze and Google Docs (around 200 MB together) and downloaded two playlists from KGNU (another 311 MB) to see if I can use the aux input on the loaner car I am driving.

I am now getting warnings that I am dangerously low on space, with 26 MB remaining, so I look at what is hugging my disk space. Two of the biggest culprits are those Facebook and Instagram apps I cannot uninstall (which together use 240 MB), without rooting my phone. Several Google apps I never use together add up to over 300 MB, though I am not sure if removing those would break Android. So I am now trying to root my phone, and yes, it is indeed a pain in the ass.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

PreviousNext