Newspaper Shooting in Maryland

What's all the ruckus? (The Debate Subforum)

Newspaper Shooting in Maryland

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:55 am

nypost article.

This happened only a few days after multiple articles came out saying he responds "Journalists should be shot" when asked for comment by bastions of journalistic integrity The Observer and The Daily Beast.

This is gonna be a shitshow and I can't wait for the people implying his private emails to journalists are a public call to action.
  • 0



WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
User avatar
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Guerilla
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:25 pm
Location: The Internet, India
Show rep
Title: Grenadier

Shooting at newspaper office in Maryland

Postby gisambards » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:17 am

This story has absolutely nothing to do with Milo Yiannopoulos. Five people were just murdered. It's incredibly disrespectful and frankly horrendous that you would create a thread about that purely to try and politicise it.
  • 10

User avatar
gisambards
Time Waster
Time Waster
 
Posts: 1939
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:45 pm
Show rep

Re: Milo and Trump gun down five newspeople in Maryland

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:26 am

https://web.archive.org/web/20180629021 ... /politics/

Actually the bodies weren't cold before the front page of the internet decided to politicize it, I'm just repeating it. And I would bet that if this post didn't exist, the incident would show up in the Pizzagate thread.
  • 3



WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
User avatar
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Guerilla
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:25 pm
Location: The Internet, India
Show rep
Title: Grenadier

Re: Milo and Trump gun down five newspeople in Maryland

Postby gisambards » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:50 am

You're politicising this. Other people also politicising it doesn't negate that. It just means you're as bad as them. You saw this tragedy, and you saw that some people who happened to be liberal were politicising it against a conservative, so you, who happen to be conservative, thought that you'd politicise it against those liberals. And when challenged on that, your response is that a hypothetical liberal here would probably have politicised it in their favour if you hadn't politicised it in your favour first. That doesn't make you better than them, it makes you exactly the same.

The story here is that five people are dead because someone mentally ill appears to have developed a personal vendetta against a particular newspaper. It should have nothing to do with Milo Yiannopoulos, and it should have nothing to do with liberal media outlets, and anyone who tries to make it about those - or who tries to make it about whatever unrelated thing they disagree with - really needs to check their priorities. The dipshits you don't like criticising the dipshits you like is not more important than the loss of human life.
  • 11

User avatar
gisambards
Time Waster
Time Waster
 
Posts: 1939
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:45 pm
Show rep

Re: Milo and Trump gun down five newspeople in Maryland

Postby Absentia » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:06 am

Mod voice time.

I'm changing the title of this thread to something that is not misleading and inflammatory. I'd also like to remind everyone of the forum guidelines, specifically the parts that encourage sourcing your facts and behaving in a respectful and courteous manner.
  • 15

User avatar
Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator
 
Posts: 1513
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:46 am
Location: Earth
Show rep

Re: Newspaper Shooting in Maryland

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:25 am

Wait what bit of my post implied this is unironically about the Newspaper Shooting in Maryland? It absolutely is not, if we had a seperate thread about every crazy that murders someone for mundane reasons like a personal vendetta we'd have thousands of threads.

Mutliple newspapers have now connected the incidents including Milo himself responding to people connecting the incidents.

I created the thread. The topic is
A Combustible Lemon wrote:This happened only a few days after multiple articles came out saying he responds "Journalists should be shot" when asked for comment by bastions of journalistic integrity The Observer and The Daily Beast.

establishing the facts, and

A Combustible Lemon wrote:This is gonna be a shitshow and I can't wait for the people implying his private emails to journalists are a public call to action.

commenting on it.

This post is entirely about the media being scum and nothing else.
  • 2



WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
User avatar
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Guerilla
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:25 pm
Location: The Internet, India
Show rep
Title: Grenadier

Re: Newspaper Shooting in Maryland

Postby SandTea » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:59 am

Apologies to lemon. I misinterpreted your posts.

Also sorry to Gisambards. I can only thumb once.

Might as well. Sorry to Abesntia too for... not doing a courtesy upon entry? ;)


From his facebook link there, this milo fella claims that reporters reporting what he said to them is the actual reason.

milo wrote:I made a private, offhand troll to two hostile reporters,


That there is some slaughterhouse level buck passing. Or like a snobby trophy hunter who 'only shoots bucks that weigh exactly 195'. Or a really dedicated counter fitter. Or... I'm getting off track.

The point being; dude says to reporters "you should be shot", reports report "milo says we should be shot", reporters get shot. That leap of blame is not completely dismissable as is. I have no idea what the motivations of any shooter are without evidence though so I'm not going to make that claim as of yet. I will say that, if I was an investigator tasked with finding the 'why' that would certainly be an avenue I'd explore.
  • 1

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
User avatar
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster
 
Posts: 1196
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:01 pm
Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Re: Newspaper Shooting in Maryland

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:04 am

It's exactly equal to reporting

"We heard you were kicked out of a restaurant because of our reporting and are writing an article about it, what's your favourite food?"
"I hope you get fucked"

as "Milo wishes rape on journalists"

It's indefensible, unethical, and irresponsible.

As Milo said in his later posts, if a crazy person had read that report and raped a journalist, it's entirely the journalist's fault for publishing something that shouldn't have been.

Sticking to objective truth and being aware of the consequences of your reporting are fundamental journalistic principles. There is no journalism without them.
  • 0



WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
User avatar
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Guerilla
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:25 pm
Location: The Internet, India
Show rep
Title: Grenadier

Re: Newspaper Shooting in Maryland

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:02 am



In before some contrarian newspaper editorial concedes that maybe the shooter had a point.
  • 3

"Schmibby Dibby Kabibby"- Alex Hirsch

"When in doubt, meow it out!"- Bex Taylor-Klaus
User avatar
Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer
 
Posts: 12079
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:42 pm
Location: Fair Oaks, CA
Show rep
Title: Queen of the Cerignola Olives

Re: Newspaper Shooting in Maryland

Postby Tesseracts » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:04 am

The media is not scum. The press has an essential place in society, they bring us information and provide a check on government power. They expose us to issues we would be unaware of otherwise and have the power to change our lives for the better. Journalism is a difficult, dangerous, and respectable job which pays less and less each year. Also, I'd like to know what mental hoops you have to jump through to shit all over the media while singing the praises of the journalist whose name rhymes with Yilo Miannopoulos.
  • 11

User avatar
Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother
 
Posts: 9577
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:31 am
Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Re: Newspaper Shooting in Maryland

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:08 am

The press used to have an essential place in society from the invention of the printing press to the early 1900s, at which point it was immediately used, globally, as the main vehicle of totalitarianism. The "total" in totalitarianism comes almost entirely from the fact that the party in power controlled everything, including the newspapers. This was the first big test of the press since their invention, and they buckled, immediately. Since they were facing a two-prong attack from the people in government and the people supporting government, they couldn't maintain their editorial freedom and totalitarian government was able to run mass propaganda to reinforce their message.

In this way, the current fetishization of "editorial freedom" was a direct result of the press' fall to totalitarian government. One time, when the government held a lot of power but gave good faith allowances to the press to continue their job of disseminating information, the press could unironically be called a new democratic institution that could hold government accountable, but now they couldn't be trusted unless they built themselves away from the government, because it was proven at the beginning of the century by Hitler and Mussolini that the government and popular opinion was in reality above the press, and it was purely social convention that it was viewed as this independent body with more power than the people.

This is why objectivity became such an important thing in the press, so that governments wouldn't view them as opponents. Breaking this social contract between the press and the government is why we're in this situation right now. The press should not have endorsed candidates, they should not have paid into candidate donation pools, they should've maintained their journalistic values strongly, they should've stayed away from any and all political campaigns with a thousand foot pole.

People talk as if it's just "rags" like the daily beast when CNN literally stages protests, lies on national television about reading leaks being illegal unless curated by CNN, talks about how bad Doxxing is and how the Alt Right is responsible for a uniquely horrifying new age crime one day and "We reserve the right to publish this man's address at any time" the next. Because they're big and important and essential to democracy.

It's a big lie. The press is outdated. Today's press is the internet, a near instant communications platform that can connect people from all across the world and is searchable by multiple webcrawlers for any information you want. The press fucking came into existence from the ease of communication provided by printing pamphlets. There was nothing but readers holding the press accountable then, there are nothing but readers holding the internet accountable now.

Their emphasis on their unique ability to locate sources is them trying to maintain relevance by stating that the quality of their news is better. Except it's not. Major news comes from literally three sources, Reuters, AP and Al Jazeera. After this there are press releases, which are printed verbatim if the company agrees politically, or misrepresented and attacked if the company doesn't. Everything else they do is suspect and ridiculously, obviously biased. Like the twenty billion articles using as a source "people familiar with X's thinking", a meaningless phrase that can mean anything from the person themselves to an industry analyst entirely unconnected to X.

They intentionally use the spotlight effect to great advantage to try and socially manipulate people to their political ends, and they do it shamelessly. For instance, they currently pervert the idea of responsibility I mentioned in the previous post to say they don't criticize "vulnerable groups" as a responsible way to keep harm from coming to them, while conservative events get priced out of attendance, interrupted by shouting children and physically threatened as well as rioted against and kept hostage, while never ever getting the "vulnerable group" treatment, despite gleeful editorials about how conservatives are becoming a minority and that's a good thing.

The idea that Trump is some unique danger to the press is part of that social manipulation, and it's blatant. When the motivations of his entire body of threats towards the press can be cut down by occam's razor to his thin-skinnedness (also seen in his endorsement of stronger libel and slander laws) and his tendency to exaggerate, it's irresponsible as fuck to talk about Mussolini and Hitler and how much of a uniquely Nazi-esque threat he is.

The first amendment might protect the press, but doing it for themselves ("""""technically""""". Consider how many commentators used to be government and get back to me on that technically) doesn't make even a slight bit of difference from doing it for a government. The press today is headless fascism. It never stopped being totalitarian social control, it just got its head chopped off.

As for "singing the praises of Milo", ha. He's a troll and a terrible journalist with an unforgivably provocative style. He didn't publish shit about shooting journalists, though, which is what he's accused of. Have I stepped on the jesus tile enough yet or do you need anything more?
  • 1



WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
User avatar
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Guerilla
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:25 pm
Location: The Internet, India
Show rep
Title: Grenadier

Re: Newspaper Shooting in Maryland

Postby DoglovingJim » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:26 am

Just saying it because I can, I don't trust the media at all. Way too many agendas and with growing privatisation it's only getting worse. They don't report news, they report politicalised commentary on events.
  • 2

Image

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
User avatar
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 2760
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:07 am
Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Re: Newspaper Shooting in Maryland

Postby gisambards » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:21 am

Using the murder of journalists at a local newspaper to push an agenda of "media are scum" is still shockingly callous.

Regarding Lemon's points, though, your argument simply falls flat. It's hardly a great revelation that CNN and the like are deeply dodgy, and it's simply stating the obvious to say that they push for their own agenda. I think most people are actually aware of this. Every news outlet always will, whether it's printed or on television or on the internet - it will always be shaped by the politics of those running it. There's never going to be objectivity. You demonstrate this yourself, in that you frame your argument about the press in general, but then spotlight only behaviour coming from liberal media. If you know how the news media operates, the solution is to read widely, because you are never going to find objectivity coming from a single source.
Still, this doesn't invalidate that a lot of good journalistic work continues to happen. It is simply untrue that all news stories come from AP, Reuters or Al Jazeera. Factual coverage of specific events tends to, yes, because those three companies partly specialise in getting a press release out after a newsworthy event as quickly as possible. But that's not the be-all and end-all of journalism. Most media outlets maintain investigative journalism (albeit to varying degrees of both quality and quantity), and you do see this reflected in their reportage.
  • 7

User avatar
gisambards
Time Waster
Time Waster
 
Posts: 1939
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:45 pm
Show rep

Re: Newspaper Shooting in Maryland

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:47 pm

I'm not using the murder of journalists to push an agenda of "media are scum". As I pretty clearly demonstrated, the topic name was "[Trump and Milo] responsible for [horrible incident]", and the contents were "Newspapers publish that Milo wants Journalist Death Squads" and "This is going to be a huge flaming controversy". It was always about the response to the incident, it was never about the shooting. I should know, I wrote the thread.

I'm quite clearly using "media being scum" to push an agenda of media being scum. Make your own thread of two people saying "this is shocking", one person blaming the NRA, and one person saying "no one should die" if you want to talk about the shooting.

As for the dodge saying that people are aware CNN has an agenda, sure that might academically be true, but practically, people still fucking treat their information as correct here, especially viewing it uncritically when it's against CNN's agenda.

Also, as newspapers have been screaming from the rooftops "mention every single thing they do wrong and harp on it". If you want to treat media as a fourth branch of government, they don't get to hide from the violence, harassment and criticism they incite.

I didn't say all news stories, I said major ones. Local ones come from the police station and courts. And yeah, I know they pretend to do investigative journalism, so do random 4chan threads. It's pretty ridiculous to trust them on it while still saying you're aware of their biases, especially when they hide behind anonymity and bad wording. That's pretty much covered under "Everything else they do is suspect and ridiculously, obviously biased".

The only investigative journalism that has even the slightest chance of not being editorialized to hell is stuff that isn't political, a call journalists now explicitly reject.

This is how you get bullshit like the idea that Trump invented the idea of camps for children of immigrant detainees. As I said in the black history month thread, people can't stop sucking Obama's cock enough to consider how bad of a president he objectively is. Those kids in cages have been reported by left and alt media for literal years, but the media somehow only managed to discover it this year. (no, they're not "all part of the media", alt media as clearly demonstrated here has absolutely no political clout, and is often ostracized for being unfaithful. Look at how wikileaks and the intercept are handled for giant flashing signs that this is undeniably true)

Also, this trampling the cross nonsense has to stop. I don't talk about conservative media with YOU because none of YOU take it seriously already. I'm not going to join the circlejerk while the world is falling to shit because of your shit attitudes towards media. The only thing mentioning fox or breitbart here would do is make sure people can shit on them and ignore the fact that the media has turned a troll from a sexual abuse victim talking about how his statutory rapist was a positive gay role model for him into a pedophile, from a flamboyant jewish gay man married to a black person into a race realist nazi sympathizer, and from someone telling media to fuck off into someone responsible for FIVE DEATHS.

oh here let me trample the cross some more before people come in and say it's about Milo as a person again. Milo is an opportunist piece of shit provocateur (a word literally meaning troll, considering trolling comes from fishing, not the mythological creature) who has a very disgusting habit of using his conservatism and the provoked responses as a club to bash minorities, especially trans people with. He doesn't seem to have any real convictions beyond a light adherance to conservatism and being a giant fucking drama queen about everything. Breitbart is the Huffpo of the right, and is a terrible paper with very abusive use of the spotlight effect and terrible editorial practices such as putting a troll in reporting instead of opinion. They share a founder, that's why they're so similar.

Also, I'm getting pretty annoyed by the idea that "I'm conservative so I attack liberals". My grandfather was a communist literally trod on by the police, my father is a socialist, and so am I. I've said before that I find Lenin's ideas on communism and the vanguard pretty convincing, I've been shitting on net neutrality and obamacare for being bandaid solutions preventing true nationalized utilities and healthcare. "Liberals get the bullet too" is something Isympathize with, and would unironically agree with if I wasn't a fan of Nehru and Gandhi and their moderate third-worldism and commitment to non-violence. What I'm not is a revolutionary. I think the question of consent is the biggest problem in communism, and one with no good solution. SocDems and DemSocs obviously don't count, neither of them eliminate inequality and democracy is clearly broken and not exactly a positive. "Socialism is when the government does things and the more things it does the more socialister it is" being a meme and all.

I attack liberals because they're the ruling party socially, and thus the party that can and do the most harm socially. Political control isn't insidious like cultural control is. It doesn't need to be called out nearly as much, and the parties flip every 8 years at most and every year at best, so obviously that bullshit is working. I attack liberals because this forum is filled with them. I don't attack conservatives here because DO WE EVEN HAVE ANY THAT POST?
  • 3



WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
User avatar
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Guerilla
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:25 pm
Location: The Internet, India
Show rep
Title: Grenadier

Postby Aquila89 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:23 pm

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Also, this trampling the cross nonsense has to stop.


Stop presenting yourself as a martyr. This comparison is inaccurate. Japanese Christians had to denounce something they held as sacred, or they were tortured and killed. You denounce someone whom you don't even like or... well, some people may criticize you on an Internet forum.
  • 5

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
User avatar
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 3316
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:45 pm
Location: Hungary
Show rep

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest