Looking on the Brighter Side, Things that are good

Discussion, in general

Re: Looking on the Brighter Side, Things that are good

Postby pikajew » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:53 am

This was my first week at my new job. It took until Thursday to get my login info for all of the software I'll be using and to get my corporate email. It isn't crazy exciting, but I like it. My only complaint is that the girl that was doing my job kind of sucked at it and a large portion of my time is investigating her screw ups, but it's helping me learn so that's fine. The ladies in the office are very supportive and the guys in the warehouse are super nice. And today I went to brunch with some former coworkers and I hadn't realized how much I missed them. I'm having a pretty good week! (Also, my former boss fucked up and lied to the Department of Labor, so they're launching an investigation against her, so I feel a little better about the situation.)

pikajew
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep
Title: Darth

Postby DoglovingJim » Tue May 01, 2018 2:31 pm

I can finally use the internet properly once more, watched infinity wars spoiler free.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby CarrieVS » Fri May 04, 2018 6:44 pm

I've been keeping an anxious eye on a pair of ducks that were nesting on a river I cross on my way to work. (Not the main river my city is on but a small one that flows into it.)

Some weeks ago a spell of bad weather brought down a couple of tree branches into the water, but they weren't completely severed and the island of flotsam that collected around them stayed anchored to the bank. It was on this floating island that the ducks chose to nest. The first time I noticed the nest, the drake was on it. Except that he wasn't really, he was sitting next to the nest, brooding three eggs that had fallen out and ignoring the rest of the clutch, except when he appeared to start trying to roll another one out of the nest and towards him. And then he flew off, leaving them all untended.

I didn't see any sign of the three stray eggs the next day, I'm not sure if the parents could have got them back into the nest, or if they must just have been lost. I also never saw the drake anywhere near the nest or the female duck again - perhaps it's fanciful of me to suppose that he's a deadbeat dad who gave up on parenthood, or his partner gave him his marching orders for his incompetence, and maybe I just always happened past when the female was on the nest. I did also see her on the island but off the nest at one point.

Over the course of this week, the floating island's been breaking free of its restraint, and for the past couple of days has been free floating in the stream. So far, it seems to have been scraping the bottom enough to keep it mostly in one place, but it was looking very waterlogged and on the verge of disintegrating. I wasn't sure how long the nest had been there or how much longer they had to go before hatching. Even if it held together, I was worried that the bottom of the nest might be full of water, and the eggs would be chilled or even drown.

I'm happy to say, on my way home today, I spotted a female duck in the water some way downstream of the nest - with eleven tiny balls of fuzz, obviously very recently hatched. No sign of the deadbeat dad, but mother and babies all seemed well. I hadn't seen any other female ducks on the stretch of river, so I dared hope it was my family, and when I got upstream to the nest, it was still there but empty.

I never got a count of the eggs so I can't say whether they all hatched, but eleven's a pretty decent brood. I shall be keeping an eye on them still.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby IamNotCreepy » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:51 pm

My coworker brought in some hot peppers from his garden to work to share. I took home a handful of them and made some hot sauce. I used some ingredients I happened to have in the kitchen, and it turned out really well.

It's not quite as hot as I would like, but I like the flavor.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby NathanLoiselle » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:52 pm

Looks like I'm leaving Rogers for cell service and going to FreedomMobile at the end of the month. While the phone is a step down, I like the looks of it more. And I'm not paying anymore for it than I was before.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby AboveGL » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:10 pm

In anticipation of moving out this summer, I have started downsizing. I'm well aware of how many possessions I have and I've lamented on discord the upcoming storage-space issue for my model railway collection.

Well, I went through my collection last night and I was able to pick out everything I was willing to part with. I was overwhelmed and even almost burdened by how much I have, but this ended up being a positive experience for me. I'm now aiming to sell a single shelf's worth of rolling stock I won't need. What's better is the spark is still there and strong, and I really just haven't had the space to pursue this hobby. I've still got a medium-sized single-column bookshelf's worth of stuff to shift, but at least that can all be stored neatly and together rather than stuffed in every nook, cranny and under-bed space. As I'm looking for a moderately spacious flat, I don't see this posing any kind of problem.

I'm now going through my merch for models and posters I can part with by either sending them to charity or selling them on ebay. While I'm at it, I may as well dig out any clothes and books taking up space. I already have a pile of games to drop off at CEX. I will have to remember to book a week off work at the end of this month so I have time to list everything on ebay.

AboveGL
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:48 pm

I had a phone interview just a little while ago, and I seem to have done pretty well. They want me to come in for a half-hour interview and a one-hour test tomorrow morning, using software that I’m very familiar with. It’s almost twice as far as I was hoping to have to go, but at this point, I don’t care. And on the bright side, there’s almost no travel involved with the job itself.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby NathanLoiselle » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:32 am

AboveGL wrote:In anticipation of moving out this summer, I have started downsizing. I'm well aware of how many possessions I have and I've lamented on discord the upcoming storage-space issue for my model railway collection.

Well, I went through my collection last night and I was able to pick out everything I was willing to part with. I was overwhelmed and even almost burdened by how much I have, but this ended up being a positive experience for me. I'm now aiming to sell a single shelf's worth of rolling stock I won't need. What's better is the spark is still there and strong, and I really just haven't had the space to pursue this hobby. I've still got a medium-sized single-column bookshelf's worth of stuff to shift, but at least that can all be stored neatly and together rather than stuffed in every nook, cranny and under-bed space. As I'm looking for a moderately spacious flat, I don't see this posing any kind of problem.

I'm now going through my merch for models and posters I can part with by either sending them to charity or selling them on ebay. While I'm at it, I may as well dig out any clothes and books taking up space. I already have a pile of games to drop off at CEX. I will have to remember to book a week off work at the end of this month so I have time to list everything on ebay.

AboveGL + Trains = Sheldon?

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:55 am

AGL is English. I've always assumed all English people love trains, seeing as they filled their Island up with them and then took over a quarter of the world so they could build more.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby jbobsully11 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:39 pm

Yesterday, I wrote:I had a phone interview just a little while ago, and I seem to have done pretty well. They want me to come in for a half-hour interview and a one-hour test tomorrow morning, using software that I’m very familiar with. It’s almost twice as far as I was hoping to have to go, but at this point, I don’t care. And on the bright side, there’s almost no travel involved with the job itself.

I got back a little while ago, and at the risk of cursing myself, it went pretty well. I was a little late getting there, but they didn't seem to mind. There are only three people working there now, which seemed strange. They like the experience I have, and the test was easy; they use a program that I've been familiar with for years.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:07 pm

Today I talked to a technician at the cable company regarding our intermittent loss of internet and unlike the last person I spoke with who just wanted to upsell me, this person did their job. I was informed our modem is showing a disturbing amount of flaps and that someone needs to come and physically check what the issue is.

The last person I spoke with said the issue was probably our router but possibly a splitter. We replaced the splitter and we're still having problems. The issue can't be our router because we're not losing connection to the network, we're losing internet access which is imo something happening with or at the modem. That's what the person today said also. Without trying to get us on a higher cost plan.

It was a teaching moment for my son. The people who want to do their job and service a customer vs. the people who want to get that little bit of commission on their check at someone else's expense. That $1 today from one person who you were interested in actually helping isn't worth the $10 the company gets from a bunch of people you're honest with.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby JamishT » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:22 pm

I'm an uncle again! I have a new niece as of today!

That's the good thing. The father, who is my brother, decided the best way to announce it was to wait a few hours and just post a picture on FB, rather than making use of texting or even the group chat us siblings have going on. Also, the niece doesn't have a middle name, because her mom doesn't have a middle name because that makes sense.

BUT HEY, new niece!

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby cmsellers » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:56 pm

Congratulations, Jamish. I only have one brother and he's gay, so the odds of me ever having nieces nephews is very low unless I marry someone with a lot of siblings.

My parents gave me my mother's last name as my middle name, and my brother my mother's last name and my father's last name as a middle name. As it turns out, that means that for some purposes, such as customs, we didn't qualify as a "family."

So if I have kids, I might want to do the hyphenated (or better still, compound) last name, unless I marry someone with a name like "Smith," in which case I'll try to persuade her to take my name because "Smith" is boring. (My father's last name is quite rare and my mother's last name is shared by about a dozen people in the whole US.)

As for middle names: if I have kids I'm going to give them all the middle name "Trouble."

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:50 pm

Danger is a good middle name too.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby JamishT » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:04 am

All of us have our dad's middle initial as our middle name, so it's weird to me that my brother was okay with going along with no middle name. Another brother of mine gave each of his kids two middle names, so I guess that balances it out, unless they end up having more than 3 kids.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

PreviousNext