Sports section?

Discussion, in general

Re: Sports section?

Postby DoglovingJim » Thu May 24, 2018 12:15 pm

Anglerphobe wrote:Another horrible mismatch is in the works in the world of boxing. Former heavyweight champion of the world Tyson Fury (25(18)-0) is scheduled to make his totally for real this time comeback in a few weeks, with expectation that he will end up fighting either or both of the incumbent champions Deontay Wilder (40(39)-0) and Anthony Joshua (21(20)-0) down the line. First things first, though, he needs to beat up a hopelessly outmatched opponent to prove his legitimacy as a heavyweight elite.
Facing him will be Macedonian Sefer Seferi (23(21)-1) a career cruiserweight who will concede something like 20cm in height and reach and 25kg in weight to Fury, himself a very big heavyweight. Seferi's one loss came from Manual Charr, who is also the only legitimate notable heavyweight he has met as of this writing. Of his 23 other fights, only four have been against men with a winning record. Let there be no mistake. This is a squash match of epic proportions. It's sort of like the fight Fury's namesake had with that club doorman when he got out of prison. A former heavyweight champion against a guy who has no business competing with any top heavyweight, basically selling his brain cells for cash like one of those Buy Your Gold companies with the tacky free tv ads. I can only hope he was offered a good price.

I look forward for 9th of June, the gypsy king returns...

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby Anglerphobe » Thu May 24, 2018 7:32 pm

I am excited to see Fury back, but they could at least have booked him against an actual heavyweight. This guy had better hope his manager has a flying fan contraption handy at ringside.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby Anglerphobe » Sat May 26, 2018 11:18 pm

Yet more fun from the world of weight cutting. It's fitting, in hindsight, that Rumble Johnson came up in the discussion about Mackenzie Dern's failed weight cut two weeks ago. There's a new Rumble on the block now. UFC's Liverpool fight card took a bit of a blow earlier today when hometown fighter and rising prospect Darren Till missed the 170lb (77kg) weight limit by 1.6kg or approximately half a Dern. This left him bargaining a catchweight with his American opponent, Stephen Thompson, who made weight successfully. Till is noted as an exceptionally large fighter for the division, reportedly weighing in the high 90s most of the time and cutting something in the region of 20kg to fight. He may be known hereafter as White Rumble.
This is a tricky situation for the promoters. Letting the fight go on as normal gives Till an unfair advantage. Overweight fighters have an immensely successful record against on weight fighters, and with good reason. There needs to be some serious carrot in play to get the other fighter to turn up under these circumstances. Thompson has agreed to go ahead with the fight while imposing some conditions on Till. One of them is extra money, which is a standard concession in these situations and will be docked from Till's pay according to whatever number they agree on.
Thompson's second condition is more unusual and more controversial. He requested a second weigh in tomorrow at one, a few hours before the fight, at which Till's weight is not to exceed 188lb (85.5kg). Given that Till's fully hydrated weight is likely somewhere around 90kg, in order to meet that stipulation he would have to be significantly dehydrated barely ten hours before showtime. Coming into a full contact martial arts contest in such a state is obviously dangerous, and the whole affair could easily result in him getting pulled from the fight by the doctors anyway if he doesn't look fit to compete. If he does make it into the cage he could be at greater risk of injury both from violence and from fatigue.
The obvious solution to the dilemma is to just cancel the fight and reschedule it, but that would be last resort for a professional sports promoter like the UFC. It might make the most sense in terms of pure competitive integrity, but it would strip the show of its headline fight and local star. Not a good debut appearance for the organisation, or for Liverpool itself.

- Liverpool also lost the Champion's League final (for the uninitiated, that is an association football game of relative importance) tonight, pissing off a large fraction of the city.

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Thu May 31, 2018 9:34 pm

Last night Braden Holtby, goalie for hockey's Washington Capitals, melted my brain with a save he made.

Make sure to watch the youtube video in the link to see it from every camera angle.

The easiest way I can explain it is that he was sliding to his left and the puck was being passed to the right of him. It was then slapped towards the part of the goal he left unobstructed. He didn't have time to slide back so he slammed his stick down, pinning the puck to the ice. It would have been a game tying goal with two minutes left to play.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Paradox » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:25 pm

I accidentally bet Brasil 0 vs. 1 Switzerland.

There go my 5 reais.

[Signature removed for nonpayment.]

The artist once again known as Dox.
Paradox
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: True Neutral

Postby Anglerphobe » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:02 pm

If you want to blend in with a crowd that's watching a soccer game, just remember to:

- complain about a player/players falling over too easily

- claim that video assisted refereeing is ruining the sport

- be outraged at mistakes someone apparently made

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Australia » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:01 am

Anglerphobe wrote:If you want to blend in with a crowd that's watching a soccer game, just remember to:

- complain about a player/players falling over too easily

- claim that video assisted refereeing is ruining the sport

- be outraged at mistakes someone apparently made

Ah, classic IT Crowd.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby gisambards » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:26 am

England actually won their first match this World Cup, which excited me watching it more than I thought I would. Following on from the great Spain-Portugal match a few days ago and the brilliant upset with Mexico beating Germany yesterday (which I was lucky enough to happen to be in a bar full of both Mexicans (who obviously support Mexico) and English people (who obviously hate Germany) when it happened, so the mood was incredible), this World Cup's actually shaping up to be pretty interesting.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:27 pm

gisambards wrote:England actually won their first match this World Cup, which excited me watching it more than I thought I would. Following on from the great Spain-Portugal match a few days ago and the brilliant upset with Mexico beating Germany yesterday (which I was lucky enough to happen to be in a bar full of both Mexicans (who obviously support Mexico) and English people (who obviously hate Germany) when it happened, so the mood was incredible), this World Cup's actually shaping up to be pretty interesting.

I've been thoroughly enjoying this year's World Cup. I even rooted against my beloved Germany for Mexico (because Mexico, duh).

I rather enjoyed watching Iceland frustrate Argentina.

I was VERY frustrated today with Columbia v. Japan. I don't have anything against Japan but it just seemed like a harsh red card.

I wish Egypt had done better.

South Korea played well against Sweden and it reminded me why penalty shots are such a mixed basket.

I was super excited for Panama since it's their first World Cup and when I saw their first team was Belgium I groaned and then felt so, so bad for them. Talk about David and Goliath.

I was hoping Costa Rica would have done better. I laughed a LOT at Neymar throwing himself around while playing against the Swiss. I didn't laugh as much when his foot got direct cleats and I realized it was his previously broken foot. That had to hurt.

I was watching the Belgium v. Peru match when I saw Kvist go down and get carted off. I said, "Man I hope he didn't break his ribs and puncture a lung." I am a prophetess and now demand to be addressed as such.

Croatia surprised me.

I still get frustrated watching France play. Dunno why.

And I think the question of who is better: Ronaldo or Messi is quite definitive now.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Aquila89 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:20 pm

sunglasses wrote: I even rooted against my beloved Germany for Mexico (because Mexico, duh).

I don't get it.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:28 pm

Since the U.S. Didn't make it the running joke is that we're all rooting for Mexico.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Anglerphobe » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:02 pm

It's quite possible that the biggest event in combat sports this year could be an amateur fight between two youtube celebrities. I'm not hopeful that the big three heavyweights will have a major fight before the end of the year and I honestly don't know if GGG vs Canelo 2 will either happen as scheduled or beat the celebrity death match in ratings. Not that it matters, as they aren't competing for an audience, but it's still a bit depressing.

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby gisambards » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:58 am

I can't imagine what it must have been like being a Germany supporter watching the match just played against Sweden. After watching nearly everything that could go wrong go wrong, fully aware that even drawing (let alone losing, which at times looked like a possibility) would probably result in being eliminated, and then to suddenly win in literally the last minute of the game, must have been a real rollercoaster of emotions.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:30 am

Well, I support Germany for whatever reason, and I couldn't even watch.

Drawing would've meant elimination? Are you sure about that?

After watching nearly everything that could go wrong go wrong

Something did go right, so to speak; Sweden didn't get a penalty that they should have gotten. What's the point of the VR if they just aren't going to use it?

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby gisambards » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:08 am

Aquila89 wrote:Drawing would've meant elimination? Are you sure about that?

It probably would have, yes. If they'd drawn, the points in their group would have been Mexico 6, Sweden 4, Germany 1 and South Korea 0. So firstly they'd have had to beat South Korea to stay in (which they probably wouldn't have a problem doing), but even then Mexico would have to beat Sweden, which could go either way - if Mexico/Sweden drew or Sweden won, Germany would have been eliminated instantly - and even then they'd be tied for points with Sweden, so would have had to ensure they beat Sweden on goal difference. So Germany really did need to win this match to expect to stay in.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

PreviousNext