[Fate RP] The Dragon Files: Boston

The Web's foremost Forum Games place. Role Playing Games. Whimsy; here we let encourage you to run around with scissors.
Forum rules
The Web's foremost Forum Games place.

[Fate RP] The Dragon Files: Boston

Postby Scarik » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:29 am

Boston, Massachusetts, somewhen in the Reagan Era...

Beantown isn't the place that it will become. Its seedy, dirty, dangerous and ruled by the corrupt, the immoral and the vicious. Even the water is dirty and thick with chemical run-off. They say you have to wait a while for trickle-down economics to work, but water can't trickle through sludge without ending up just as nasty.

But while The Hub lacks in cleanliness and kindness it doesn't lack for magic. Just like the world the uninitiated go through every day, Boston is a crossroads of magic and supernatural shit. Every kind of mystic critter from the gribbly to the great can be found near by, sucking power from the dozens of ley-lines and hundreds of intersections and making themselves fat off the the misery and misfortune of mortals.

Out of those hundreds of intersections of three or more lines are a dozen or so that rank well above the others. Places where half-a-dozen or more intersect and form a confluence, a nexus. Everyone knows that ley lines are powerful juju, but the mojo of the nexi is something else and everybody wants a taste.

Most of the big groups have one, that's a big part of what makes them big players. The White Council sits on one in Cambridge, the nastiest kind of Vampire has one up north in Salem and the second nastiest brand of leech, the Red, have one out west toward Framingham. There's a big one in Quincy on the south shore too but that's got yet another type of vampire all over it and they don't entertain guests.

Then there's the one under the Cathedral of the Holy Cross, but last band of monsters that tried to use it learned why the first thing Angels always say when they don't want to fight is 'be not afraid.' Because when they do throw down, they don't leave anything behind but ashes.

There others are out on islands, out it the woods, or just seem to be unlucky. Like that one over at World's End in Hingham. Great view, great fishing, bad news.

Anyway, that's what its like in the Birthplace of the Revolution. Basically what its always been like since the colonists first showed up and fucked it up. If you still want to make your way here, then good luck, kid.

You're gonna need it.

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Re: [Fate RP] The Dragon Files: Boston

Postby roobeastie » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:36 am

It's true, the city wasn't exactly perfect. Although, to some, its' imperfections were what made it such a delight. For one in particular, even, those less savory individuals were far more interesting than any boring, morally upright person ever could be. In fact, to the cat perched on the turret of the Cathedral of the Holy Cross, this was as close to home as she cared to admit for the moment.

roobeastie
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:21 am

Ulupi tries not to think of the city much. She didn't like to stick around there for long. Besides, with:

1) a population of more than half a lakh poor mortals,
2) a decently-sized Red Court *un*satisfied with the extent of their borders,
3) her नागा Clan to lead and feed,
4) getting pulled into arbitrating between various beings more often than she liked,
5) oh, right! And a temple and its devotees to protect,

Framingham is more than enough of a headache without worrying about Boston too. -__- The creatures there can keep it!

The pretty, lean white cat near the gate of the Lakshmi Temple, shakes her little head and mews at a passing regular worshipper, who bends to look down at her affectionately and shake a packet of snacks out onto the ground before entering the large courtyard.

Well, what can she say? There are perks to being the "lucky" resident cat. Lucky, that's one word for it. :P

Last edited by Ladki96 on Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: =)

Postby CarrieVS » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:15 pm

A small boy stirs in his bed and opens his eyes. A ginger cat is sprawled comfortably across one half of his pillow.

Good morning Tommy. The cat rolls onto its belly and stretches its front and back legs in turn as it stands up and touches foreheads with the child.

Tommy smiles. "Jack! You're back!" he exclaims in a shrill staccato, and giggles at the rhyme.

Of course I'm back. I haven't had my ears scratched in three days. The cat flops back onto its side and stretches out again. The boy is well trained and knows all the sweet spots. Jack purrs ecstatically. There's no doubt this is the best thing about staying with mortals. Of course he's been away from them for much longer than this before. But that's usually when he has somewhere to go and something to do. Or when the fancy takes him, of course. But this week he was just enjoying himself. One can't spend all one's time in this shape, indoors and being pampered. Right now though... right now he could spend a good while just like this.

"Did you go to the wet wild woods by your wild self?" Tommy likes the Just So Stories and that particular one is highly educational in the circumstances.

Waving my wild tail, Jack finishes, and Tommy laughs like always. The woods around Hingham are indeed somewhat wet. They aren't particularly wild in mortal terms - but still there are lonely places; big old trees full of holes and crevices; birds and insects and animals. And around World's End in particular they have darker, wilder things in them, of which mortals know nothing. Even when Jack's not there.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Kivutar » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:59 pm

Cipactli dozes, half in and half out of a muddy pool of water. Even in this form, it still finds this soothing.

It is disturbed by some muffled noises a little ways away. After a few moments, it lazily looks up and spots an eager couple a little ways away.

At that moment, a frog splashes by Cipactli's nose. With lightning speed, it snaps and catches the frog gently in midair. It struggles, and Cipactli holds it firmly, but carefully.

It trots over to a now very distracted couple and drops the frog in a just-discarded pair of underwear. Losing its fright, the frog settles down meditatively as frogs do.

With a wide, un-catlike grin, Cipactli slips back into its favourite pool and waits.

Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Hosea 3:1
Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Great Librarian

Postby Scarik » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:36 am

30 miles apart two of our protagonists hear a similar prayer one, Saturday if they care, night.

In Boston a young man places a dollar in the donation box and lights a candle beneath the statue of Mary, Mother of Christ.

In Ashland a young woman places a crimson lotus flower in the shrine to Ulupi, Destroyer of Poisons.

And though they have never met and pray in different languages, come from different cultures and share little if any life experiences what they pray for is essentially the same.

Freedom from an addiction and escape from their tormentor. Both also share horrid nightmares about drinking blood and have a terrifying anger that seems almost hungry for violence and pain.

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby roobeastie » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:47 am

It's not often that Lux feels compelled to get involved in the affairs of mortals, but as some of those the cat encounters frequently like to claim 'The Lord works in mysterious ways.'

Of course, in the case of this particular mortal (who was not entirely mortal from what Lux could sense, it wasn't the Lord hearing his prayer. No, he had a far more interesting listener, one who under normal circumstances might not have cared had she realized what she could potentially be stepping into. Not that it would have stopped her.

Silently jumping down from her perch, Lux bided her time while the man prayed, preparing to follow him when he left. To say she was intrigued would be putting it mildly, but before she could do anything she'd need to learn more about her new project.

roobeastie
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:55 am

Lu hears more than sees the woman as the cat softly pads to the nearby reservoir, intending to bed down for the night. She comes to a pause, hissing as she senses her acute distress, like if it were her own.

Of course, Red Court. Because why not? She felt like something was missing on her plate anyway, you know?

She turns and runs back. The last of the worshippers are just exiting.

Lu nuzzles up against the woman's leg as she walks by, and softly says, "Hi =) It'll be okay. Let's go!"

df-1.png
best speaker
df-1.png (4.92 KiB) Viewed 6158 times

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:19 am

Lucifer

The man leaves and heads home. He lives a few blocks from the church so he walks the whole way. Shadowing him is simple for Lux. No one is looking for a cat and even if they saw one why would they care?

So after 15 minutes they get to his basement apartment and he takes out his key and fits it to the lock. That's when he is surprised by Lux rubbing against his leg.

"Jesus Chr-!" he starts, nearly leaping out of his jeans, "Oh, hi kitty," he says almost reflexively while opening the door and looking own at her.

After a long moment his eyes brighten and he says, "Hey, aren't you Father Frank's cat?" as people do even though cats never answer their questions. He steps inside and goes to close the door but stops when the cat doesn't move.

"I gotta work in the morning, kitty, I can't bring you home," he says and almost closes the door before opening it up again. "I can't leave you out here, you wanna come in?"

He doesn't expect an answer but when Lux meows and struts inside he doesn't question her.

His apartment is dingy and dark. His one lamp needs a better light bulb and his bed needs a new mattress. He grabs a bottle of cheap whisky from the kitchen and sits down on his ragged sofa and takes a swig.

"I'm glad you're here, Lux. I'm at wits end and really need a friend," he says, leaving his macho persona at his door since he has no one to prove anything too there that he knows of.

He turns on the TV and drinks while petting his new friend until he falls asleep on his couch with the TV set on.

Ulupi

The woman brightens up, "Oh, hi Lu," she says managing a smile, "Its always good to see you. I hear you are lucky to have around."

She stoops to pet Lu for a few minutes, just sitting beside the shrine when one of the priestesses comes over and says, "I am going to shut out the lights for the night, Yamini. You are welcome to stay here, or," the priestess looks at Lu, "you can take Lu home with you, it seems she likes you."

Yamini gets up and thanks the priestess, "I think I will take her for the night, thank you Pandatain," she says almost managing a smile despite her emotional state.

She then leads Lu outside to her car and opens the door to let the cat inside then drives about ten miles west to her home where she lives with her parents and grandparents. Her mother is at the door when she pulls in with a stern look on her face that fades when she shes the white cat in her arms.

"Your father and I were worried that you were out so late, beta," the woman who is no more than 40 says, "I am glad to see you were at temple. Now come in and eat and we can find a treat for your friend," she finishes smiling at the lucky cat.

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby panda1594 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:44 pm

Normally Nox would be looking for a bounty, or for some sort of fun. Doing the former usually led to the latter, usually. Money, violence, and sex - all the things that a girl needs. Though, sitting outside of the church on a night like tonight Nox was relaxing.

Instead of going on a hunt, Nox watched while Lux focused on the one human. She pondered whether or not to follow. Normally she would let Lux do her thing, but this time Nox was intrigued. What was it that fascinated her friend, was it the human? Did she notice the other dragon around her? That was a silly thought, of course she did.

Watching her friend with interest, Nox followed Lux and the mysterious dragon.

Last edited by panda1594 on Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
panda1594
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby bydawine » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:04 am

Sometime after the sun has set the docks are quiet....mostly quiet. That's when a not quite human form rises from the depths. It crests the surface and in the moonlight its in-humanness becomes completely obvious. Shiny and slippery, with a scaly ridge along its spine. It moved upright on two legs, its bulbous, fish-like head hardly turning as its massive eyes rotated in place.

A Deep One; one of the lesser Fomori.

Spotting it from where he lurks Levi swims silently behind his surprising prey and shifts easily into his feline form when he reaches the shore. He pads softly behind the loping fish-frog until it reaches a disused alley behind an empty warehouse that used to bulge with American made electronics.

Levi is about to pounce on the thing when he hears human voices, They are not surprised to see the creature and as he gets closer the cat spies a crude, but adequate, summoning glyph.

The leader of the cult hands the Deep One a token and they strike a bargain whose details are better left unsaid. With their compact sealed the Deep One hops away to bring news to its masters in the sunken city of Y'ha-nthlei which sits in a hidden trench just off the coast to the east.

But it never makes it back. A hundred yards off shore the agile swimmer is overwhelmed in an instant by a serpentine creature that coils about it and tears it to ruin with its powerful teeth and razor spines. Deep Ones taste almost like duck and once he has his fill Levi whistles to the scavengers of the sea and they come quickly to his call. The flesh and soft tissues are gone in minutes, the bones will last a few hours.

A minute later the same wet, mangy cat from before hops up onto the pier and pads down to get the scent of the cultists. Usually such fools are found only in the suburbs and fishing towns. What they have to offer in Boston that is worth the risk of exposure for the Deep Ones has piqued the Leviathan's interest.

Last edited by bydawine on Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
bydawine
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby chrisjander » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:00 am

Napping under the prayer candles, almost invisible in the shadows, Chess overhears the confessions and prayers of the young man. Stretching silently, grin all over his face, he listens as delicious secrets spill from the man's lips. So satisfied at hearing such an unburdening of the soul, Chess watches as the young man leaves, and is further intrigued to see Lux padding out after him. Secrets beget secrets... how curious.

With the grin never leaving his furry face, Chess pads behind a thin column, but never emerges from the other side...

Later at the young man's apartment, Chess watches from on top of a streetlamp as Lux seduces the man, mortal for now but who knows for how much longer, into letting her in. Chess smiles and floats down to a window sill to watch, lounge, and eavesdrop on those inside, knowing full well Lux has been completely aware of his presence.

chrisjander
I'm new, be gentle
I'm new, be gentle

Show rep

Postby lualuadingdong » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:06 am

Wizmous watched the children play in the soft grass of the hill atop her hoard from her napping spot in a sunbeam filtering through the trees near the bottom. It had been over 30 years since the falcon-nosed man built his house on her hill. Fifty Nine Dewson is what they called it... stupid name for such a glorious confluence of power; so cleverly hidden. But it had been not much of a nuisance, having the humans here. Almost entertaining, watching the family grow, spawning more... and more. Until recently, some of the younger ones have been showing signs that maybe humans shouldn't live directly on top of a majestic collection of magical marvels accumulated across millennia.

Perhaps her magic is now in their blood. That would make the family hers now, a part of the very hoard they lived above. It was concerning that their budding sensitivity to magics might actually bring attention to her little corner of folded reality, but also it made her proud. She hadn't even needed to venture forth to expand her hoard this time. Some of them might even show some actual talent this generation, instead of just dabbling in pop culture "magics" that was all about wearing the right looking clothes and burning the smelliest incense.

Lost in her reverie of mentally cataloging the entire family tree in with the rest of her magical treasures, she only noticed the ambush before it happened because of the sudden silence from the hill. The sudden rush of tiny feet on grass was the last warning she had before she was engulfed in a wave of tiny hands and giggles.

lualuadingdong
I'm new, be gentle
I'm new, be gentle

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:56 am

Lu returns the smile. What sweet creatures humans could be. Her Pandava prince was one such.. . She retreats to a corner and quietly observes the woman's parents. The mother serves dinner, affection in her every move. The father talks with animation, and the others laugh.

Lu looks down as memories of a distant era rise unbidden. Her husband was lively too. And their brave Aravan...

You taught me the importance of duty! I go for my father and uncles, for the Pandava kula. Please, bless me.

She shakes her head. The vampires. She is here because of the vampires. To answer the prayer. Distracted, she doesn't notice the bowl placed in front of her at first till she feels a hand stroking her soft fur. She looks up in alarm, and meets the grandmother's eyes.

"There there, eat up," the old woman smiles. Lu is not very hungry, but she mews and cleans the bowl without making a mess, grateful for having something to do.

Later, when the family has gone to bed, Lu pads around. The house looks secure enough. She walks back and places a paw on the sleeping Yamini. She takes in a breath.

Nightmares, she said. Let's start with that then.

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:15 am

Ulupi

As she lays down the dish Yamini's grandmother crouches down low enough to bow and gently touches Lu's forepaws before going back to dinner with the others.

Later, when they are alone and Yamini is asleep Lu's paw touches the girl's forehead and she can immediately feel the torrent within her. She sleeps fitfully, unable to awaken no matter the horrors of her dreams.

Something is calling to the girl and Lu can feel the poison within her. Yamini's mind is assailed by demonic images of lust and violence as she thrashes in her bed. But by waiting Lu can see a picture of her tormentor, a short woman with a dark complexion, black hair and luminous eyes, They met in a bar in Framingham called Sligo Pub.

With that knowledge Lu enact's her own will on the sleeping girl and quiets her nightmares letting Yamini rest easy for the first time in weeks.

Jaculus

In the deep of the night after his mini human has fallen asleep and Jack is lazing around in his room he feels a pulse of energy to the northwest that sets the fur on his neck up. It is unmistakably the feeling of a dragon revealing itself and doing violence on some hapless creature.

But that is not the only thing he feels.

Much closer to his idyllic lair he feels the torrent of a ley line being tapped by more than a few magicians to the north. He knows well the confluence in the empty area to the north in what the locals call World's End and it has just opened to the call of a skilled sorcerer.

Last edited by Scarik on Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Next