Fallout 76 Announced!

What are you playing. Hands out of your pockets!

Re: Fallout 76 Announced!

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:49 am

KleinerKiller wrote:
Deathclaw_Puncher wrote:They said you can play solo right at the fucking beginning.

He said, "you can play it solo." Not that there's a solo campaign. You can play any MMO by yourself. A solo campaign implies NPCs and a story mode.

Also, any dismay about this game is not a personal attack, please don't take it as such.

You can't play overwatch solo. I've seen Kolorblind.

And I'm not taking it personal. I'm just tired of the internet being.... internet-y. I mean, really? Mass speculation that it's going to be just Shelter pretending to be a new game and costing $60 but when you put it in, it'll be shelter?

Though one shouldn't be so surprised, they've been wanting to do this, like, since 2007, with Project V.13. The project got canceled in 2009, the only bit from that game remaining being the reuse of the Fog Crawler for Far Harbor.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby IamNotCreepy » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:14 am

There does seem to be a campaign quest that you can do solo.

It also appears to have PvP, presumably with some kind of "bounty" system for aggressive players. Plus, you can get control of a missile silo and launch NUKES.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby mancityfooty » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:02 am

fallout 4 ends before halloween 2077, why '76?
just saying.
and this from someone who say the new far cry and said "meh"

72% Vanilla
mancityfooty
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Duke Mix a Lot

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:02 am

76 is one of the first vaults to be opened
Vault 76 Goal Summary

Vault 76 is one of our seventeen control Vaults. It will operate exactly according to the plan dictated in the marketing material produced by Vault-Tec and precisely to resident expectations. This vault will open automatically after a period of 20 years and the residents will be pushed back into the open world for study in comparison to the other experiments.

WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Grenadier

Postby gisambards » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:22 pm

Deathclaw_Puncher wrote:And I'm not taking it personal. I'm just tired of the internet being.... internet-y. I mean, really? Mass speculation that it's going to be just Shelter pretending to be a new game and costing $60 but when you put it in, it'll be shelter?

It seems bizarre to mock cynicism towards game companies in this regard, particularly when the game this thread is the subject of actually does appear to have turned out to be exactly what a lot of the internet rumour mill was worried it would be. You can keep harping on about this one daft rumour about it being a rebranded Shelter you've apparently heard, but that doesn't dismiss that the far more prevalent worry that this would turn out to just be an MMO appears to have been right. Even though you can apparently play solo, that just means you'd be playing an MMO built around base-building on your own, not playing the RPG built around the single-player experience people want from the series.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:31 pm

Fallout 76 is entirely online. He says you can play solo, but I think he means that you don't have to engage with other people in order to play the game. It's an MMO.

ETA: One thing which is notable is that they're tacitly gating off nukes to solo players. The video blurb about them suggests that you might not get all of a nuclear launch code on your own, so you have to cooperate with other people to be able to use them. That doesn't preclude someone getting lucky, but it means that solo players aren't going to have real access to the most powerful weapons. It seems disingenuous to put in a mechanic that pushes players towards MMO play, while promising in the same breath to allow solo play.

I'm also not sure how this is actually going to work in practice. If you can build anywhere any time, and when you're not logged into the game other people can blow your shit up, I don't see how base building is going to actually be popular in this game. They do seem to have gone for the "players are the ones that fucked up the world really" thing, and I wonder if their nuke fallout will end up being the reason why the game is closed down when the next title is on the cards.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:17 am

People are already designing their own legit factions and it's lit. Come join the Church of Todd!

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:52 am

Todd Howard confirmed a bunch of stuff:
- No offline
- Playing 'Solo' will still have you seeing other players
- No NPCs, excluding robots
- PvP is still being tweaked to avoid greifing
- Modding will be present in 76 but not at launch
- Private servers will happen

So looks like it's Fallout: Survive. That's pretty exciting, internet konami hatejerk notwithstanding.

WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby IamNotCreepy » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:05 pm

Yeah, after playing about 5 or 6 playthroughs, all the DLC, plus bonus content through mods, I'm interested in doing something different.

I'm excited. When it comes out, I'll happily play with anyone here on Xbox One.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby KleinerKiller » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:53 pm

I'm obviously highly skeptical, especially because I disliked F4 so much and don't care for MMOs and survival games in general, but I can see a way this game could be fun. I don't want to give off the impression that my dissatisfaction and lack of interest means I automatically hope for a game to be objectively bad because it's a departure from the norm, even if it's a departure to a genre I hate.

I really, really hope that only a few dozen players being allowed on an unimaginably vast map means the idea of encountering another person will be less like a stock MMO and more like DayZ or PUBG (with less immediate shooting). I want the fear of looking at an interesting locale and wondering whether someone else might already be inside, and whether they'll be trustworthy or hostile. The idea of player-made groups also gives me potential Walking Dead-esque thrills along that line. But if I see one fucking dance party or anything approximating usual online behavior, it's a lost cause.

Don't get me started on the player-controlled nukes. It's a crap idea, between the thematic devaluing of nuclear warfare, the undeniable fact that trolls will band together in united efforts to screw random players over with them, and what Marc said:

Marcuse wrote:That doesn't preclude someone getting lucky, but it means that solo players aren't going to have real access to the most powerful weapons. It seems disingenuous to put in a mechanic that pushes players towards MMO play, while promising in the same breath to allow solo play.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:59 pm

Sadly youtube tells me there hasn't been a walking dead dance scene yet that's searched for enough to show up.

But also Fallout's already devalued nukes plenty, with the mininukes being common weapons after they destroyed the world already. It doesn't seem like a big deal.

A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:33 pm

Personally, I'm not a fan of MMOs, I'm not a fan of online multiplayer and while I like survival games I don't like direct PvP competition. None of those things are good additions to the series to me, even though I can recognise they make thematic and practical sense for the series.

While I don't hate fallout 4 nearly as much as a lot of people did, I would have preferred a more in depth single-player experience in a different and interesting locale with good writing. You know, the kind of thing New Vegas did. I sympathise with the sentiment that the single player Fallout experience has run it's course, but we've only really had three games with it being that thus far.

What really steams me, as a fan of single player experiences, is when they claim you can play it solo then explain all the game mechanics based around group play that won't be accessible if you choose to do that. If you're making an always online, MMO survival game then call it that. Don't string existing fans along with false advertising claiming you can play a game solo when everyone knows that a game balanced for solo play =/= a game balanced for group play.

ETA: I also am no fan of the nuke mechanic. It's going to get abused. What's the point of making a base, scavenging tons of materials for it from all around only to have some jerkoffs nuke it into oblivion?

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby gisambards » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:15 pm

As others have said, I'm not really a fan of the genre so don't have much interest in this, but I'm not overly disappointed because one assumes (or at least hopes) that Elder Scrolls VI will be where the majority of Bethesda's resources are being focused.
One thing I will say is that I find the setting is both a plus and a minus (from the perspective of someone who isn't interested in this particular game):
- On the bright side, they're not expending a potentially interesting location on this project. I would have been very disappointed if Fallout's take on somewhere like New Orleans had been wasted on an MMO. So I'm perfectly fine with them just aping Far Cry 5 for this one (I don't know how similar West Virginia and Montana actually are in real life, but apparently a post-apocalyptic WV looks exactly like Hope County).
- But on the negative side, I think the initial vault openings could have been a really interesting setting for an actual single-player story (Vault survivors trying to rebuild; interactions with non-Vault survivor groups; non-feral ghouls having to cope with humans taking back the Wasteland, etc.), and on top of that doesn't really make sense as a setting for what this is: why are the survivors of Vault 76 participating in PvP and nuking each other? Would the game not actually make more sense if it were set closer to when most of the series is set and was more Raider-themed?

So overall, I'm not going to play it, but it's not the worst thing in the world, it's probably not the direction Fallout overall will go in, and at least we know there's a numbered entry in the Elder Scrolls series coming (and surely even a AAA games company must recognise that making a numbered entry in their most famous series suddenly multiplayer-focused would be a step too far).

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:58 pm

Bit of random, heavy heat-induced speculation:

I was looking over what cool landmarks and shit West Virginia has to offer for a Fallout game, and I realized I forgot Point Pleasant is located there. Point Pleasant, of course, is most known for the many alleged sightings of its legendary "Mothman", which it's shaped much of its modern identity around. Fallout really enjoys dipping its toes in cultural in-jokes depending on the setting, and the trailer at one point shows off a flying enemy with a wide wingspan.

Conclusion: the Mothman is a thing in this game. I may need to buy it if this turns out to hold any water.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:23 am

Could be. They are making a Mothman worshiping guild on the sub as well.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

PreviousNext