Fallout 76 Announced!

What are you playing. Hands out of your pockets!

Fallout 76 Announced!

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Wed May 30, 2018 5:02 pm

The next installment of the Fallout series will be Fallout 76. You will play as a denizen of a the titular control vault on Reclamation day, the day when the 500 inhabitants of the vault head out into the Wastes, GECK in hand: October 27th, 2102, 25 years after the Great War. The exact location as to what particular wasteland in has yet to be revealed.
This is pretty exciting. We get to see the wasteland as it originally was.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Re: Fallout 76 Announced!

Postby KleinerKiller » Wed May 30, 2018 5:23 pm

Here's the teaser, in case anyone doesn't want to bother with the link:

I'm a little torn on this. On the one hand, as DP says, seeing the Wasteland at the very beginning presents some interesting opportunities to dig into, and the premise of the mission sounds unique from any other entry before it. On the other, it's a prequel in a series that defines itself on ramifications and moving forward into the future, and I really didn't like Bethesda's last outing so I'm wary of getting hyped. Plus, doesn't a setting where there haven't been significant opportunities to set up communities kind of limit the potential goals, sidequests, and interesting character interactions?

Whatever the case, I hope this'll mark a return to the quality of 3 and New Vegas (which I've come around to since last talking about it), and not a continuation of 4's.

Deathclaw_Puncher wrote:The exact location as to what particular wasteland [it is set] in has yet to be revealed.

Given the background music, Virginia would be my guess. Despite that being my technical home state, I'm not sure how much I would like that as opposed to locations that fans have been speculating about for a long time, like New Orleans, Washington state, or somewhere in formerly annexed Canada.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby IamNotCreepy » Wed May 30, 2018 5:43 pm

There are rumors that this game will include multiplayer. That will be an interesting twist, especially because it would make VATS impossible.

ETA:

The song technically talks about WEST Virginia. Apparently, the codename for the game is "Mountain" which could confirm it's set in Appalachia.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby KleinerKiller » Wed May 30, 2018 8:42 pm

IamNotCreepy wrote:There are rumors that this game will include multiplayer. That will be an interesting twist, especially because it would make VATS impossible.

It's being heavily rumored (from anonymous leaks a while back that got the title of the game right) that this won't actually be a single-player RPG like every other installment, but a multiplayer-only online survival game focused on base building, in the vein of games like Rust or ARK: Survival Evolved. In which case, fuck everything, I could not give less of a shit about it and all future news is meaningless. I like both of those games a lot, but Fallout is a solo experience.

Granted, most of the official reporting about this comes from a somewhat infamous Kotaku editor, so it all ought to be taken with a grain of salt passed through an unnecessary grinder. But if it's true, I hate it.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Wed May 30, 2018 10:02 pm

There's claims of that, claims that it's a top down mmo, claims that it's literally just fallout shelter unchanged in the slightest and just sold again for $60. People seem to really, really want this game to be just the worst thing ever. I guess they're just pissed they aren't getting that rumored Fallout 3 remaster.

Basically:

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Thu May 31, 2018 1:29 am

Deathclaw_Puncher wrote:There's claims of that, claims that it's a top down mmo, claims that it's literally just fallout shelter unchanged in the slightest and just sold again for $60. People seem to really, really want this game to be just the worst thing ever. I guess they're just pissed they aren't getting that rumored Fallout 3 remaster.

Basically:

I'd be remiss to disparage fans who're only interested in RPGs and were seemingly teased with a follow-up RPG, only to instead be seemingly met with a genre they have no interest in or don't feel would fit the Fallout experience. Agree or disagree with that, but I hate immediately turning any dissent into whiny strawmen.

KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Thu May 31, 2018 3:57 am

KleinerKiller wrote:
Deathclaw_Puncher wrote:There's claims of that, claims that it's a top down mmo, claims that it's literally just fallout shelter unchanged in the slightest and just sold again for $60. People seem to really, really want this game to be just the worst thing ever. I guess they're just pissed they aren't getting that rumored Fallout 3 remaster.

Basically:

I'd be remiss to disparage fans who're only interested in RPGs and were seemingly teased with a follow-up RPG, only to instead be seemingly met with a genre they have no interest in or don't feel would fit the Fallout experience. Agree or disagree with that, but I hate immediately turning any dissent into whiny strawmen.

Seconded, as I'm one of those disappointed people. I've been waiting for an Elder Scrolls VI forever, but they're still fucking around with ESO, which is apparently a lot better now than when I first played it at launch, but it still doesn't seem to be anywhere near as good. Nice to hear they're turning Fallout in the same direction.

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Thu May 31, 2018 1:18 pm

The setup of 500 people leaving a vault at the start seems tailor made to be an MMO style of game, with crafting and survival mechanics. I can see how studio execs might look at that on paper and think that it dovetails really nicely with the Fallout franchise (it's not like survival and crafting haven't already been absolutely integral parts of the series to date) and the addition of social stuff seems like a no brainer - share your Fallout experience with your friends! Post on social media about it! Have fun!

Except, is that really what we were enjoying about Fallout? The survival and crafting stuff are generally just mechanisms that serve to highlight that you don't have a society present to create those things for you. Being alone (as in single player) serves to highlight that you're alone in a world gone insane. If you have fifty other people around you whooping and asking you to "find de wae" is that going to feel as isolated, desperate and unique as people's single player Fallout experiences have? I don't think so. While it's not necessarily a disaster, because having MMO experiences in the same continuity can be a thing that could work (what if they made it so that people fucking around was what actually ruined the world, but they just left the online world to run and it was actually players that were fucking around that ruined the world's chances of restoring it with the GECK?) I just feel disappointed that Bethesda seem to be moving away from exploring the Wasteland in their traditional format when I think there's a ton of scope for further development.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:31 am

If you have fifty other people around you whooping and asking you to "find de wae" is that going to feel as isolated, desperate and unique as people's single player Fallout experiences have? I don't think so.

I concur with your assessment of this situation.

There will be dance parties and Bethesda knows it.

They know it and they don't care.

However our hearts can be won again with another killer single player experience.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:13 am

ESO was made by Zenimax Online, not Bethesda Games. The trailer doesn't have any zenimax branding on it.

Though yeah, 500 people screams MMO. Maybe they're folding Zenimax into BGS?

WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Grenadier

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:09 pm

New trailer:

It's definitely set in West Virginia and either strictly single player or single player with Far Cry 5 style optional co-op. And apparently 4 times as large as fallout 4, Spanning from Charleston to Roanoke. Also, possible flying deathclaw if not Radbat or Mothman analogue.
The actual presentation is four hours away, but given the engine, it can't be anything drastic.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:33 am

So, there's multiplayer, but there's a solo campaign, so it's all good. From the looks of it, it'll be like the mechanic in the Mass Effect games. I was worried it'd be essentially Fallout: Overwatch.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:41 am

Deathclaw_Puncher wrote:So, there's multiplayer, but there's a solo campaign, so it's all good. From the looks of it, it'll be like the mechanic in the Mass Effect games. I was worried it'd be essentially Fallout: Overwatch.

Where on earth are you seeing that there's a solo campaign? It's confirmed to be all online, based in servers, with every single character being controlled by a real person, and basically everything else the rumors you mocked were whispering about. You can play it solo, but it's an MMO.

It looks... fine. I like the setting and the designs for the creatures, but I just can't bring myself to care about this genre and everything the presentation is showing off.

KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:42 am

They said you can play solo right at the fucking beginning. And how could I not mock them? They were the slightest bit histerical and internet-y.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:45 am

Deathclaw_Puncher wrote:They said you can play solo right at the fucking beginning.

He said, "you can play it solo." Not that there's a solo campaign. You can play any MMO by yourself. A solo campaign implies NPCs and a story mode, both of which this game is confirmed not to have.

Deathclaw_Puncher wrote:And how could I not mock them? They were the slightest bit histerical and internet-y.

And they turned out to be pretty much on the money.

Also, any dismay about this game is not a personal attack, please don't take it as such.

Last edited by KleinerKiller on Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Next