Roseanne calls Obama advisor a monkey, gets show cancelled

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Roseanne calls Obama advisor a monkey, gets show cancelled

Postby cmsellers » Tue May 29, 2018 8:16 pm

OK, technically she only implied he was an ape (which is the best kind of correct), but it was funnier this way.

This is interesting for a several reasons, with two in particular I'll mention here. The first is that Roseanne Barr was off the reservation on Twitter before they even gave her a new season. The second is that ABC also cancelled Last Man Standing after Tim Allen bitched about ABC. Put these together, and I think it's not unlikely that another network will pick up the revived Roseanne when the dust settles.

Another thing that stands out to me is that based on her apologies, Roseanne Barr reminds me of someone else I knew who very clearly had a B-cluster personality disorder (probably Borderline, possibly Narcissistic), and of stories of other people I've heard with such disorders. So it's kind of sad that her mental health issues have fucked over everyone else on the show, but now I wonder if she's a nightmare to work with.

My personal feeling is that ABC shouldn't have given her a new series in the first place. Hell if they wanted to revive the show they could have done a spinoff where Roseanne is dead, but then they couldn't have kept the name. That said, this rant doesn't seem all that much worse than some of her previous rants, so I find it kind of silly that this is where ABC draws the line.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Re: Roseanne calls Obama advisor a monkey, gets show cancell

Postby Aquila89 » Tue May 29, 2018 9:07 pm

cmsellers wrote: That said, this rant doesn't seem all that much worse than some of her previous rants, so I find it kind of silly that this is where ABC draws the line.

Yeah, I mean, what exactly ABC was expecting? In 2013, she tweeted that "susan rice is a man with big swinging ape balls." In 2017, she called Huma Abedin "a filthy nazi whore". And those are just a few examples of her insane, hate-filled tweets...

As for her mental health, she herself said on Oprah that "I had — and still in some ways have and always will have — some mental illness".

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Tue May 29, 2018 9:27 pm

I gotta be honest, I was kind of underwhelmed by what I saw when I clicked on "Roseanne Fired Over Racist Twitter Rant" headlines. I was more offended that a professional comedian would be that severely unfunny than anything else, particularly since, as you say, this isn't exactly a sudden change of direction for her.

That's the thing that I find fascinating about incidents like this. Apparently America is perfectly okay with Roseanne being an ignorant, hateful Twitter troll, but when she breaks the taboo on racially coded language that's the end of her career. Why is that the line? It's not even the meanest thing she said this morning.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Tue May 29, 2018 9:42 pm

And I gotta miss what was a fanfuckingtastic show over this?

Can't Twitter just get cancelled instead?

The "it was a joke" response isn't going to work with the HR department at Disney's main TV network. Obviously. But uh yeah like Absentia said, racial is no go, anything else is a-ok. Right? Right.

Fuck this, I'm sick of everything that isn't live sports getting cancelled on me. Just go ahead and axe TWD and Preacher for me if you could, AMC. Let's just get it over with.

Netflix if you want me to subscribe I'll need you to whip up some Roseanne. ASAP.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue May 29, 2018 10:45 pm

The old show's not going to be rerun anymore.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby NathanLoiselle » Wed May 30, 2018 12:03 am

"Yes! Oh no! He died." is exactly how I feel.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Wed May 30, 2018 12:04 am

Everybody knows that in order to do anything with anyone you have to agree with literally everything they say and have ever said. It's just how it is.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Wed May 30, 2018 12:33 am

I'm cutting ties disassociating with all you asshole people everyone anyone who has ever is likely to have ever displayed mothercucking asshole behavior negativity harsh vibes.

And they should pull the reruns. DJ didn't want to kiss that girl because she was black, the parents smoke pot in one episode and nobody faced any repercussions from it, all the toxic male behavior shown by Dan, Arnie, and other men, both daughters run away, and one gets pregnant before she's ready to be a mom. How the hell can any network justify that in 2018?

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Wed May 30, 2018 4:32 am

Marcuse wrote:Everybody knows that in order to do anything with anyone you have to agree with literally everything they say and have ever said. It's just how it is.

Hey, it's not my fault the fursuit and the jump rope makes things awkward!

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Aquila89 » Wed May 30, 2018 3:24 pm

Absentia wrote:I was more offended that a professional comedian would be that severely unfunny than anything else, particularly since, as you say, this isn't exactly a sudden change of direction for her.

Maybe it was the straw that broke the camel's back. Roseanne's Twitter feed was more normal around the time her show was revived, but then she went back to tweeting crazy shit, like promoting the Q conspiracy theory or accusing David Hogg of doing a Nazi salute. Maybe ABC executives finally realized that she can't control herself.

By the way, Roseanne claimed that she'll leave Twitter after this, but didn't do so. Instead, she wrote "don't defend me" then retweeted a bunch of people defending her.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Wed May 30, 2018 5:11 pm

I think it's fair to question whether Twitter is healthy for anybody, but for an emotionally unstable person I'm pretty sure the answer is emphatically no. They should do her a favor and ban her.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Wed May 30, 2018 5:47 pm

ABC should've made quitting Twitter part of her contract. It would have been better for everyone affected.

Trump decided to comment on the matter and you never would've guessed it: yes, he made it all about himself again.

Bob Iger of ABC called Valerie Jarrett to let her know that “ABC does not tolerate comments like those” made by Roseanne Barr. Gee, he never called President Donald J. Trump to apologize for the HORRIBLE statements made and said about me on ABC. Maybe I just didn’t get the call?

The poor little president, his feelings were hurt by all those awful things those meanies on TV said about him!

--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Wed May 30, 2018 6:46 pm

Apparently she made the show to prove that not all Trump supporters are racist, so the whole premise was a failure right from the start.
smirking-face_1f60f.png
smirking-face_1f60f.png (3.2 KiB) Viewed 5647 times

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby iMURDAu » Wed May 30, 2018 9:50 pm

Aquila89 wrote:ABC should've made quitting Twitter part of her contract. It would have been better for everyone affected.

Trump decided to comment on the matter and you never would've guessed it: yes, he made it all about himself again.

Bob Iger of ABC called Valerie Jarrett to let her know that “ABC does not tolerate comments like those” made by Roseanne Barr. Gee, he never called President Donald J. Trump to apologize for the HORRIBLE statements made and said about me on ABC. Maybe I just didn’t get the call?

The poor little president, his feelings were hurt by all those awful things those meanies on TV said about him!

He's been the biggest snowflake walking around. But I'm interested in what specifically was said about him on ABC that he considers an insult on par with... idk Chelsea Clinton looking like Donkey from Shrek which was a meme shared by Roseanne. She said a lady looked like Donkey from Shrek but is ok, no racist!

I, as I'm sure the rest of you are, will continue to wait for Bob Iger's call apologizing for Episode VIII and promising that Rian Johnson will never walk, I mean work again. Bob could save time by first calling businesses and asking to be put on speaker. I may be overthinking this.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Wed May 30, 2018 10:06 pm

iMURDAu wrote:He's been the biggest snowflake walking around. But I'm interested in what specifically was said about him on ABC that he considers an insult on par with... idk Chelsea Clinton looking like Donkey from Shrek which was a meme shared by Roseanne. She said a lady looked like Donkey from Shrek but is ok, no racist!

Does Jimmy Kimmel count as ABC? I'm guessing he's said some shit.

Personally I've called Trump an orangutan on several occasions, but since he's not black I guess I'm in the clear. Really it's the orangutans who should be insulted. Come to think of it, orangutans aren't even native to Africa; would that still count as a slur against black people, or is it the Indonesians who should be really offended?

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Next