Dear VG Diary~

What are you playing. Hands out of your pockets!

Re: Dear VG Diary~

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:00 am

I feel totally comfortable double-posting in here.

I have conquered Bloodborne. The platinum trophy is mine.

Updated order of the best bosses: 1. Lady Maria of the Astral Clocktower, 2. Ludwig the Accursed/Holy Blade, 3. Vicar Amelia.
Updated order of the most difficult bosses: 1. Defiled Watchdog of the Old Lords, 2. Orphan of Kos, 3. Laurence the First Vicar, 4. Ludwig

I was rather enamored with the way this one did trophies. Most games are kinda bullshit about it, where it's like "Dodge a thing eight billion times in this top down puzzle game while a dog is savaging your gonads, and you get a bronze trophy" whereas this game was like "Yo, do the majority of the content and collect all the items and weapons, and you get the platinum trophy".

Anyways, now I'm glancing at two games on steam: Frostpunk, which was made by the same guys who did This War of Mine, a game I reviewed and quite liked. This is apparently a really good post-apocalyptic resource management/survival, but suffers for the same problem as TWOM in the form of limited content (and thus, lack of replayability). The other, Battletech, is a turn-based strategy game about mechs that wasn't as highly rated and is more expensive, but seems like it'd be my jam more. I'm not sure which one to get.

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Piter Lauchy » Mon May 07, 2018 3:07 am

Now that Kingdom Hearts's whole story is finally available on one platform, I got into it again. Beat the first one and am now working on some of the optional things. Overall, they did a very good job updating it into Final Mix and although the next one is Chain of Memories, I'm looking forward to getting the whole story.

The Oatmeal wrote:Live life passionately and love everyone like they are family, because Jesus is always with you. Jesus loves you seriously bigtime. He'd hug you until your eyeballs exploded out of your skull if he ever met you. He'd windsurf across oceans of dead Nazis which he personally slaughtered just to tell you that your new haircut is the bee's knees. [...]
Praise Jesus, especially when it's sunny outside because Jesus would totally be cool with you praising while you get a nice tan.
Piter Lauchy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Idk, someone give me one

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Mon May 28, 2018 10:31 pm

Playing Witcher: Wild Hunt and Monster Hunter World right now, and I'm disappointed in both of them, and it's Bloodborne's fault.

Monster Hunter World was praised for its bosses, but they're more tedious than difficult, easy to damage but lasting for twenty minutes each for no particular reason. It also doesn't have as much customization as I was hoping for, and the combat is unnecessarily sloppy and garbage. It does address my fix of grabbing everything around me at all times, at least.

Wild Hunt also feels more sloppy by comparison, but I'm at least getting my Gwent fix in. I actually realized there's a pretty massive design flaw where you spend levels 22-27 without much to do, where everything's either too low level or too high level. I also like the Blood and Wine expansion more than the actual base game, because it felt like a breath of fresh colorful and silly air in comparison to the well-tread gray and brown shitty pseudo-medieval Europe.

I'm also playing Stardew Valley on the side.

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Mon May 28, 2018 10:50 pm

Every Monster Hunter game is made up of tedious boss fights that last at least 20 minutes.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Mon May 28, 2018 11:40 pm

iMURDAu wrote:Every Monster Hunter game is made up of tedious boss fights that last at least 20 minutes.

Right, but I foolishly assumed that flaw had been fixed, thus why it was so critically acclaimed. Instead, I find that it's only because they fixed everything else BUT the shitty boss fights. Like I said, the boss fights aren't hard at all, they just last forever even though they're easy, like if the Bane fight from Batman: Arkham City lasted for an hour.

Also, that you can't save during expeditions or leave expeditions, which can last for over an hour, is fucking dumb and flies flagrantly against the idea that some people are just playing between having other shit to do. I had a power outage today and just got to lose 45 minutes of progress because you can't save other than between long missions. Seriously, who gave this game a 9 or 10?

I suppose I don't hate this game; it does the environments incredibly well and it scratches that itch I have for collecting stuff endlessly, but I was disappointed that it implied a base-building aspect it doesn't have (I'm a sucker for that gameplay), that it requires much more online connectivity that lessens its function (I know that's why you can't save in an expedition, that doesn't make it more tolerable), and even the collecting feels a lot more vapid than a game like Subnautica, for example.

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Previous