Sports section?

Discussion, in general

Re: Sports section?

Postby Anglerphobe » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:01 pm

I have to say I can't agree there. This card is stacked top to bottom. Magomedsharipov vs Bochniak, the card opener, is an amazing booking, as is Moicano vs Kattar. That fight is actually my favourite on the card, now that Ferg vs Khabib is off. Borg vs Moreno, Iaquinta vs Felder, and Gritz vs The Brain are all solid fights too. This is still the best UFC card so far this year, even slightly diminished from its full glory.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby iMURDAu » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:15 pm

Max Holloway has been declared medically unfit to fight. He couldn't make 155 safely in 6 days.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Anglerphobe » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:55 pm

It just keeps getting better!

With McGregor glassing Michael Chiesa, it freed up Anthony Pettis to step into the main event. Pettis vs Khabib for the Lightweight strap is a fight that was talked about a lot back in 2014, and the combination of injury, short notice weight cutting, and violent yobbery has finally given it to us.

It's Showtime, baby!

BUT WAIT!

Apparently Pettis wanted more money than the UFC was prepared to pay, so that fell through as well. Paul Felder tried, but the NYSAC wouldn't have it because he's not ranked. This is insane. Maybe Al Iaquinta will get it? He's ranked, and he's on weight. Go Raging Al! Never mind, he missed championship weight anyway. I think that's it for this attempt at unifying the Lightweight title. Unbelievable.

I feel for Khabib. He's had about three shots at a world title fall apart in his career, and then the Ultimate Fucking Circus pulls this one out. The poor bastard.

BUT WAIT ONCE MORE!

Raging Al either managed to cut the extra weight or work something out, so it still/once again is Khabib Time. Go Raging Al again!

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:07 am

Al weighed in at 155.2 which is .2 over championship weight according to the New York Athletic Commission which doesn't consider the fight to be a title fight.

But the promotion does.

Should I?

Does it matter? The winner will get hurt and they'll give an interim belt to someone who will never fight the "actual" champion and then Conor will come back and they'll make the Conor belt the real one again and then Sting comes down from the rafters and that's when I start drinking paint.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:49 pm

That turned out to be a very good night for women's mma (or Fem-m-a as I like to call it) in an era of waning relevance in the public eye.
UFC 223 turned out a pair of very good contests in Strawweight, the only UFC women's division currently worth paying attention to. Karolina Kowalkiewicz beat Felice Herrig in a fiercely paced brawl with lots of roughhouse dirty boxing, knees, elbows, and nasty stuff, along with a sick ninja roll (see notes) and a sweep to mounted triangle executed by a kickboxer on another kickboxer, who defended it deftly.
The championship fight that followed later in the evening was even more impressive. Rose Namajunas' first title defence against former champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk was an excellent battle which has received a lot of high praise as a demonstration of how far the female fighters have come in skill and ability. One of those who praised it publicly was the last woman to make ordinary people give a shit about female fighting, Ronda Rousey, who put in a concise word of admiration for the both fighters ahead of her high profile WWE appearance. The increase of public attention around what was a great night of high level women's fights is certainly good for the profile of the sport, which has been sinking back into its obscure niche after Rousey left sixteen months ago.
A strong showing for the elite female fighters which left the best UFC women's division in a compelling situation (see notes) competitively, all receiving the popular attention it deserves. Lovely.

Notes
Sick ninja roll, courtesy of Tony Ferguson: Image
A forward roll to leg lock attack, in this case a knee bar. Jimmy Smith called it an Imanari roll in the live commentary, after Japanese fighter Imanari Masakazu "Ashikan Judan". Imanari's signature rolling attack is slightly different, though.

Strawweight title picture: After several years of Joanna Violence massacring everyone who came near her, the title aspirations of several elite fighters are reignited. Karolina Kowalkiewicz lost her zero in a title challenge against Violence, which she earned by winning a contender match against Rose Namajunas, who now holds the title and has removed Joanna from the immediate picture. Brazilians Jessica Andrade and Claudia Gadelha, both of whom have lost to Violence, are also champing at the bit with the former beating the latter and the latter beating Kowalkiewicz in the last six months. Pre-Violence champion Carla Esparza, who captured the inaugural title with a victory over Namajunas, is up there too.
The whole situation is interesting because most of these women have highly competitive and entertaining previous fights with each other, and all have been improving their game at a high rate. All the potential fight this sets up are fascinating. Personally, I want to see Gadelha and Namajunas go at it. Only those two managed to really get the better of Joanna Violence on the feet, and both are well-rounded and tough.

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:50 pm

What a statement from Isaac Dogboe. In the first round of his world title unification bout against undefeated WBO super-bantamweight champion Jessie Magdaleno on Saturday night, Isaac was knocked down for the first time in his life. A right hook in a flurry against the ropes and he was on the canvas. Winning streaks far greater than his have been shattered by such a dose of hype-breaking reality in a debut world title fight, a huge step up in competition from anything he has faced before.
Isaac got up, shook it off, and went right back to work. As a 23 year old who arguably not had a world class test before, he took the fight back with care and patience and eventually ragdolled Magdaleno with a right hand of his own in the opening of the fifth round. From there he continued with disciplined, methodical aggression even as the champion tried to pick him and goad him into overextending. Both men showed amazing grit and courage and composure as it turned into a real battle in the second half of the contest but it was young Isaac who got the better of it. He ended the fight with consecutive knockdowns in the eleventh round, resulting in a TKO and a new world champion at 122 pounds.
That was the kind of performance that puts a young fighter on the map. It was an epic fight to prove beyond doubt his championship ability. He answered every question that has been asked of him in his rise to contention and did so emphatically. I'd love to see a rematch, too, given that Magdaleno gave him such a test. Awesome stuff from the little man from Ghana, whom we can also claim as sort of British because he lives here and learned to fight here.

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Tue May 08, 2018 12:02 pm

Golovkin once again demolished his opponent, knocking him out in 2 rounds.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby Anglerphobe » Tue May 08, 2018 7:22 pm

That was a particularly egregious mismatch. Martirosyan hadn't fought in two years, was moving up from light middle for the first time in his career, and is trained by the same guy who is responsible for this:

GGG has already beaten every relevant middleweight, but even so they should have been able to do better than that guy. I would hope that some supers could be tempted to cut down for the kind of money you make fighting one of the biggest stars in the sport. Hopefully that Armenian guy doesn't suffer any lasting injury from the huge beating he received.

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Wed May 09, 2018 7:38 am

Anglerphobe wrote:That was a particularly egregious mismatch. Martirosyan hadn't fought in two years, was moving up from light middle for the first time in his career, and is trained by the same guy who is responsible for this:

Spoiler: show

GGG has already beaten every relevant middleweight, but even so they should have been able to do better than that guy. I would hope that some supers could be tempted to cut down for the kind of money you make fighting one of the biggest stars in the sport. Hopefully that Armenian guy doesn't suffer any lasting injury from the huge beating he received.

It's a shame. I was hoping he'd fight Billy to get that last belt for his collection instead.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby Anglerphobe » Sun May 13, 2018 3:52 pm

Vasyl Lomachenko and Jorge Linares had an epic lightweight battle last night. Loma won with a body shot tko in the tenth round after looking mostly dominant, but it wasn't the class apart, Neo in the Matrix type of drubbing he handed to other recent opponents. Linares made him work hard throughout, knocked him down in the sixth. It was a thriller. Lomachenko looked all the better for getting pushed to a good performance rather than just unilaterally blowing his opponent away like the Chacal fight. His victory here sets up one of boxing's chief fantasy fights in Vasyl Lomachenko versus Mikey Garcia. Judging by Loma's performance tonight, that one has modern classic written all over it.

There was some weight cutting controversy in mma, with UFC strawweight Mackenzie Dern weighing in seven pounds (over three kilograms) above the weight limit for her bout with Amanda Cooper. She ended up finishing Cooper in the first round by the old club and sub, extending not only her own winning record but also that of any fighters who miss weight. That's one of the most egregious weight misses I can remember in mma, easily the worst of her own crop of three weight misses in a seven fight career. Weighing in at 123 pounds (55.8 kg) for a 116 pound (52.6 kg) fight has earned her several new nicknames, "Snackenzie" "Thiccenzie" "Big Mac enzie" "Megaton Dern" and "Big Rig Dern".

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Tue May 15, 2018 11:15 pm

She keeps trying to make a weight she can't and soon enough we'll be calling her Mackenzie Urn.

The UFC will push her since she's undefeated. I just think it was hilarious for her to say she usually enters fight week at 120 but for some reason she's missed weight a couple times before and was almost 20 lbs overweight when she arrived in Brazil. How blatantly unprofessional. She's in the Rumble Johnson category imo. Skilled but IN THE WRONG WEIGHT CLASS.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Wed May 16, 2018 7:33 pm

I think she's more of a Kelvin Gastelum or a Johny Hendricks than a Rumble. She would be a normal if fairly big strawweight if she slimmed down, while Rumble was a drawn out, gristly, and humongous welterweight. Dern is just pudgy. According to her, she weighed just under 140 pounds at the start of fight week (approximately 120% of her target weight) and couldn't cut in time. Just looking at the jiggle on her, you can see the start of the solution to that problem. The main solution is just getting the cut right. I don't know, but I wouldn't doubt that Claudia Gadelha or Jessica Andrade weigh about the same as Dern in camp, if not more. They make weight because they don't start cutting five days out.
I do agree that she should move up though. The fights for her there are better, overall, and serial weight missers usually keep missing until they move up to a weight they can make.

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Wed May 16, 2018 9:09 pm

I'm wondering how bad the NBA is that Cleveland is being looked upon as getting a bad draw (by the talking heads on the TV and the armchair GMs on the web) since they're picking 8th in the draft. Even the Mavericks picking at #5 are supposedly hoping to get someone that can eventually contribute. Good lawd. If any other team in any other sport was in the same position they'd be excited about getting a top ten player. Apparently there are not 10 top players coming into the NBA this year.

Or more likely, imo, it's incredibly difficult to put a team together when you're seeing players for one year of college against subpar competition or scouting whoever is tearing it up in a European league against competition you can't really compare apples to apples with NBA players.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Mon May 21, 2018 1:25 pm

The Las Vegas Golden Knights have reached the Stanley Cup Finals. In August the team owner remarked "We'll be pretty good in three years and we'll make a run in five or six".

How to good hockey: Make trades that will seem lopsided in 8 months, acquire great players other teams have soured on, put a top 5 goalie in the crease, score a lot and kill penalties.

Wait, why didn't that work in D.C.? The Vegas general manager is the former Washington Capitals GM and while I'd rather the good times be happening locally, I'm glad to see George McPhee get some validation for his methods.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Tue May 22, 2018 6:16 pm

Another horrible mismatch is in the works in the world of boxing. Former heavyweight champion of the world Tyson Fury (25(18)-0) is scheduled to make his totally for real this time comeback in a few weeks, with expectation that he will end up fighting either or both of the incumbent champions Deontay Wilder (40(39)-0) and Anthony Joshua (21(20)-0) down the line. First things first, though, he needs to beat up a hopelessly outmatched opponent to prove his legitimacy as a heavyweight elite.
Facing him will be Macedonian Sefer Seferi (23(21)-1) a career cruiserweight who will concede something like 20cm in height and reach and 25kg in weight to Fury, himself a very big heavyweight. Seferi's one loss came from Manual Charr, who is also the only legitimate notable heavyweight he has met as of this writing. Of his 23 other fights, only four have been against men with a winning record. Let there be no mistake. This is a squash match of epic proportions. It's sort of like the fight Fury's namesake had with that club doorman when he got out of prison. A former heavyweight champion against a guy who has no business competing with any top heavyweight, basically selling his brain cells for cash like one of those Buy Your Gold companies with the tacky free tv ads. I can only hope he was offered a good price.

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

PreviousNext