Discworld: A Forever Game

The Web's foremost Forum Games place. Role Playing Games. Whimsy; here we let encourage you to run around with scissors.
Forum rules
The Web's foremost Forum Games place.

Discworld: A Forever Game

Postby LaoWai » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:14 pm

If you just clicked on this link because you saw the word "Discworld," don your lilacs and prepare for battle. If you currently have to ask a superior h'officer whether you should be wearing flowers, then it's time to ask yourself, "Have I been there?" If your answer to that question is "No," then it's time start PMing those who have and learn how to travel there. [The OP's personal recommendation is with the "Hogfather" mini-series produced by BBC.]

This is going to be a largely trivia based game, but the gods have not finished rolling the dice as to exactly how it will work. As of right now, there are only four decided rules, which are as follow:

1) I shall be posting Discworld trivia questions roughly once a day. Questions will vary in difficulty.
2) Players wishing to play can do so by answering questions, preferably without using google or other resources.*
3) Players should put answers in spoilers, and other players shouldn't just peek at others' answers and copy, nor should players edit answers after the fact.
4) The rules can change at any moment.**

*Although declaring to oneself, "A-ha, I think I know what book that's in!" and then proceeding to re-read it is very warmly welcomed.

**The game is evolving, and the god of evolution has just found out about some rather shocking information regarding a more humorous way of making new variations.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Players:
Marcuse--3 exp. points
CarrieVS--10 exp. points
Kivutar--3 exp. points

[This list will be frequently edited. Actually, you'll see me editing a lot, but please trust me that it's for the sake of clarity, as I'm trying to translate real coding into a one-man-run game on an odd interface.]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We start with two questions.

First, the Discworld floats through space on the backs of four elephants on the back of a giant turtle; what is the name of the turtle?
{This question is categorized as "Detritus."}

Second, what are the names of the four elephants?
{This question is categorized as "Carrot."}

Last edited by LaoWai on Sat May 05, 2018 8:53 pm, edited 7 times in total.
It's always in the last place you look for it, unless you're the kind of person who keeps looking for it after you've found it.
LaoWai
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 美国的白痴

Re: Discworld: A Forever Game

Postby Marcuse » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:37 pm

Sweeeeeeeeeeeet. I'm in. I will attempt to answer without using search engines as the OP suggests.

Spoiler: show
Great A'Tuin

Sorry, I Haven't A'clue. Which were strange names for elephants.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby LaoWai » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:36 pm

And we have our first player...Marcuse, known for a Detritic intelligence.

Bonus question only for the first player--If you're Detritus, who built you your thinking cap? {This is an exclusive "Detritus"-category question worth 5 exp. points}

Oh, yeah, rule #5 is that your first answer puts you into a category. If you're a Detritus, you may not be the fastest thinker in the room, but you do know which way the wind is blowing. Also, cool places are highly recommended.

It's always in the last place you look for it, unless you're the kind of person who keeps looking for it after you've found it.
LaoWai
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:41 pm

Uhhh

Like trolls or some shit?

Edit: Is that a reference to a reference in an unrelated video game? Dude I only really know the books.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby LaoWai » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:04 pm

I'll put out a general clarification for all would-be players. Marcuse is worried there might be meta-referential questions or something. [I'm trusting people not to read his spoilered stuff, because let's have fun, right?]

Questions (and usually quotes/paraphrases) will be taken directly from the books...though there may be a sort of Nobby- or Bursar-esque quality to the paraphrasing occasionally. You only have to read the books to get the answers, but you may have to read incredibly closely. Also, read the books if you haven't. Also, if you have read the books, read them again.

There will be no round-world questions--ergo, no questions about who played whom in what movie, animation, video game, what have you. A deep knowledge of the canonical books will have you covered. (I don't cover all the different media, but I read the books like an addict.)

Again, the preference is for no googling or wiki-ing. Let's keep this fun.

LaoWai
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:20 pm

Great A'Tuin (sex unknown)

Dumbo, Nelly, Elmer, and T.E.C. (I got no idea, also, if you ever felt like running a certain other game some more, I would jump on that like a shot)

Answering Markys bonus question for fun even though its not for me
Lance-Constable Cuddy, the first dwarf in the Watch

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby LaoWai » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:34 pm

So we've got a game now. CarrieVS* is also a Detritus. For our second player, just because she showed initiative, there'll also be exclusive bonus questions:

If you're Detritus, how exactly do you know which way the wind is blowing? And what's the humor in that method? (These are exclusive Detritus questions worth 2.5 points each, and I'll throw in bonus points--to be determined--if you answer in character.)

*Who's** in another of my games, which we can refer to here as "Silly Buggers," and which we can't play for a very specific reason.

**See my previous statement about the OP editing for clarity.***

***Of course there are going to be footnotes.

LaoWai
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:56 pm

You know cos you can see which way all der chickens is lookin, on der roofs. Beats me how dey know.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby LaoWai » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:36 am

I'll give 2 bonus points for Carrie. [Incidentally, I'll just be using forum names or slightly fore-shortened forum names, because if we draw a crowd and I have to manage aliases, that'll be messed up.]

Last edited by LaoWai on Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
LaoWai
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby LaoWai » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:03 pm

This is an open "H...Eek!" question, and since it's apparently so mind-bogglingly difficult* that friends on the wiki couldn't answer, it will be rewarded with a special prize:

What is the name of the book over which the Librarian is known to hang out when the weather gets too hot, and by whom was it written?**

*I thought it was just a little difficult, but apparently not.
**Please find a human who can understand and enter the answer into Hex, since I don't speak orang yet.

Last edited by LaoWai on Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LaoWai
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:24 pm

The story of Ook?

...I really don't know

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby LaoWai » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:12 pm

That one question may be ridiculously hard, I'll do two more. This one is a "Rincewind" question:

The eighth son of an eighth son is what? The eight son of an eighth son of an eighth son is what?

LaoWai
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:42 pm

If I remember rightly, and eighth son of an eighth son is a wizard. An eighth son of an eighth son of an eighth son is a sourcerer. Even if it's a girl.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:34 pm

An 8th son (or sometimes daughter, only not exactly) of an 8th son is a wizard. An 8th son of an 8th son of an 8th son is a wizard squaredto the power of 3/2, and a sourcerer, so called because they are a source of magic

CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby LaoWai » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:38 am

Incidentally, for all those wondering, if a question has already been answered, you're still free to jump in (hence the spoilers).

Next one is a "Dragon" question: Though she's taught more than her fair share of witches, Esme's only had one official named apprentice. What was her name?

LaoWai
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Next