Begun, the trade wars have.

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Begun, the trade wars have.

Postby Cobra-D » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:35 pm

As everyone knows a few weeks ago trump announced a set of tariffs on steel and aluminum coming from other countries including allies(he did exclude some like Canada and Mexico however). Obviously China or Chyna as the cool kids call it werentnhappy about this and included their own tariffs on Monday effecting pork fruit and nuts(heh), which in turn had us come out with a proposed list of new tariffs which would effect things in robotics and aerospace. That was announced yesterday and today it was announced that Chyna would add new tarriffs on 106 goods from the US including cars, soy, and whiskey.

Oh and and the DOW plunge by 500 points.

The truth is like poetry, everyone fucking hates poetry.
Cobra-D
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: The Witty Flirt

Re: Begun, the trade wars have.

Postby KleinerKiller » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:08 pm

Four.

Dimensional.

Chess.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby NathanLoiselle » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:12 pm

I say we just clone the Chinese and use them as slave labor. That'll show those non-cloned Chinese!

OR

Buy from Canada, I say. Show those Chinese bastards, I say.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:16 am

I should point out this isn't a full-blown trade war yet. This is more like the timid opening move of hanging that pawn out there to start with to hopefully work a rook out of the back line. This can get far worse, and that the stock market has only ticked down instead of started to really freak out tells me that this is just a mutual shot across the bow rather than the first blows.

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:18 am

The only positive thing about this whole dumbness is that it makes NPR reporters and hosts constantly say "tit" (as in "tit for tat").

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:13 am

JamishT wrote:The only positive thing about this whole dumbness is that it makes NPR reporters and hosts constantly say "tit" (as in "tit for tat").

Real talk, this is off-topic, but my favorite bit about NPR was in Parks and Rec (though they don't call it NPR, it's clearly meant to be NPR) when they're getting interviewed by a host who's like "I'm filling in for Bob, who's currently in New York filling in for me".

Don't know why, that just seemed a very apt presentation of NPR.

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Crimson847 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:10 am

Doodle Dee. Snickers wrote:I should point out this isn't a full-blown trade war yet. This is more like the timid opening move of hanging that pawn out there to start with to hopefully work a rook out of the back line. This can get far worse, and that the stock market has only ticked down instead of started to really freak out tells me that this is just a mutual shot across the bow rather than the first blows.

I dunno about that analogy, man. Pawn gambits are the first moves of a larger war (the chess game as a whole), not mere shots across the bow.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:17 am

It's more like a go game, with Trump only placing dame.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Cobra-D » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:16 am

Trump today called for the consideration of 100 billion more in tariffs in response to the “unfair retaliation” by the Chinese. I mean like who gave them the right to retaliate against us? This is Murcia bitches!!!!!!!!!!!

It’s important to keep in mind Is that a trade war is more or less a battle of endurance, who can hurt the longest and unfortunately seeing how China is a dictatorship who aren’t really beholden to the people, they can last a lot longer than us.

The truth is like poetry, everyone fucking hates poetry.
Cobra-D
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: The Witty Flirt

Postby Krashlia » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:26 am

Well, of all the wars he could've dragged us into, you gotta admit that it isn't as bad as the expected alternative.

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby blehblah » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:30 pm

Trump ups the ante.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/trump-t ... -1.4607420

U.S. President Donald Trump instructed the U.S. trade representative to consider slapping an additional $100 billion US in tariffs on Chinese goods on Thursday in a dramatic escalation of the trade dispute between the two countries.

Trump's surprise move came a day after Beijing announced plans to tax $50 billion in American products, including soybeans and small aircraft, in response to a U.S. move this week to slap tariffs on $50 billion in Chinese imports.

Far too easy...

EDIT: removed an extraneous apostrophe

Last edited by blehblah on Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A quantum state of signature may or may not be here... you just ruined it.
blehblah
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Error General, Panic Colonel

Postby Krashlia » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:07 pm

blehblah wrote:Trump up's the ante.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/trump-t ... -1.4607420

U.S. President Donald Trump instructed the U.S. trade representative to consider slapping an additional $100 billion US in tariffs on Chinese goods on Thursday in a dramatic escalation of the trade dispute between the two countries.

Trump's surprise move came a day after Beijing announced plans to tax $50 billion in American products, including soybeans and small aircraft, in response to a U.S. move this week to slap tariffs on $50 billion in Chinese imports.

Spoiler: show

Far too easy...

Feminie Electronic Voice: Player has upped the ante. Will he Koi Koi?

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:19 pm

Well, don't plan on buying headphones soon.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby blehblah » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:52 pm

NathanLoiselle wrote:Well, don't plan on buying headphones soon.

I was joking with a friend the other day about how it would be hilarious if China slapped an export tariff on consumer electronics.

The $50 beellion in proposed tariffs on the US side work hard to avoid impacting consumers, at least directly (say, an import tariff on i-gadgets, etc.). The proposed tariffs which China clapped-back with - within eleven hours, because somebody did their homework ahead of time - are targeted at swing states and Trump strongholds. That's because Trump, ostensibly of the GOP, needs to not lose the house in the mid-terms, or at least not do much more to lose the house in the mid-terms. Closer to Trump's thinking, he doesn't want the price of Chinese-made stuff to increase in the rust belt as he heads into 2020.

Eh, in the end, it's all theoretical. China doesn't have to worry about the short-to-mid term popular vote. While an economist might view China as the one with more to lose, common sense says they can hunker-down and take their lumps, kinda like Russia. After the dust settles, the same folks who run the show in China today will still be there. Not so much on the American side...

So far, it's a game of chicken.

A quantum state of signature may or may not be here... you just ruined it.
blehblah
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Error General, Panic Colonel

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:58 am

I kinda said that more because all headphone parts come from Asia, with China being the primary source. There is only one headphone manufacturer in the US and they only do final assembly.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Next