[Fate RP] Romance of the Three Kingdoms: CE184

The Web's foremost Forum Games place. Role Playing Games. Whimsy; here we let encourage you to run around with scissors.
Forum rules
The Web's foremost Forum Games place.

Re: [Fate RP] Romance of the Three Kingdoms: CE184

Postby CarrieVS » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:45 pm

That evening, with the urgent business of the possible ambush in hand so far as it can be until morning, he is walking through the camp when he passes by a large group of children, crowded around a campfire, most of them playing or talking amongst themselves. He thinks he recognises one or two, and in any case so many little ones - the eldest look no older than the twins, safely back home, he realises - can only be some of the Bei Ye children. Poor things. It is good to see them playing, though, in spite of all they have been through. At least the other officers are helping with the job of teaching them now. Baozi would like to help himself, he really would. But the thought of standing up before so many faces, all watching and listening to him and depending on what he says...

He shakes his head and is about to pass by when one small figure catches his eye. He is sat a little way apart from his peers with his back half-turned to them, away from the warmth of the fire. A blanket is thrown around his shoulders and he sits huddled up with his head down, scratching in the dirt with a stick - drawing.

Baozi alters course to pass closer to him. At his footsteps the boy looks up, sees him watching, and freezes. He wasn't drawing a picture, Baozi sees, but scratching characters. He dashes them out with one grubby hand. Baozi smiles, hoping to put the child at his ease, but if anything it seems to make him more anxious. He looks away, and asks quietly "What were you writing?"

"'s wrong," the boy replies in a very small voice.

Baozi comes a step closer and crouches beside him, still avoiding eye contact. "What was it? Perhaps I can help." He reaches for the stick and the boy allows him to take it.

"Li Yu," he whispers.

"Li," Baozi repeats, drawing the character as he says it, "Yu. Is that you, Li Yu?" The boy nods, wordlessly. "I am Mao Xu." He hands the stick back, and Yu begins earnestly copying the words, perhaps only to avoid looking at him. He cannot be older than eight or so - still amongst the older of Dewang's young charges. "You're a very good student to be practising so late, but don't you want to play with your friends?"

His brief, nervous glance towards the other children is much more eloquent than his mumbled reply that "Mister Du says we must work hard."

Baozi almost reaches out to tousle the little boy's hair affectionately, but he is afraid of startling him. "Perhaps we will speak again soon, Yu," he says, straightening up, "I can help you with your studies again."

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Scarik » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:50 am

The army is ready to march at first light so that they might move a few li further than the enemy expects them in order to not only spoil the ambush, but to reverse it.

Even still they must scout ahead swiftly and cautiously with regular pauses at bends and rises. It is in one of those pauses that Du Zhiteng secludes himself to meditate and call upon the spirits of the sky to aid their cause. Despite his poor suitability for priesthood he finds they are still amenable to his requests and intentions.

Yet there is something strange about the way the water chi circulates to the southwest. He can sense the rise and fall of the land as he ponders the oddity and finds it within light growth to either side of the path between several, small hills.

It is unmistakably the influence of a sorcerer drawing mist close to the ground in spite of the climbing Sun and Dewang's own workings.

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Kivutar » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:22 pm

Apparently it will not be so easy after all. Dewang focuses, seeking the enemy sorcerer. He pushes against the mysterious opponent with everything he has, and feels the mist give way.

Last edited by Kivutar on Sun May 20, 2018 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Hosea 3:1
Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Great Librarian

Postby Scarik » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:16 am

The enemy seems skilled, but Dewang is more so and with a long exhalation he shifts the wood chi of the surrounding trees upward where it ignites the greater yang energy of the climbing Sun. Within minutes the, despite the effort of the enemy, the mist burns away revealing a low area filled with wild-haired soldiers in yellow scarves and little armor to the forward scouts.

The riders rush back along the direct path toward the enemy so that their signal flags whip out behind them to show the way to the enemy. In moments the drums begin to beat and flags are raised for the soldiers to rally around and direct the march.

The vanguard splits neatly into its four portions and advances according to their strategy.

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:34 am

Wenchang sees Dewang finish some kind of ritual, and soon they hear the drums and see the flags announcing the discovery of the enemy. Undoubtedly he had something to do with it. "Thank you. We might have been searching all day."

He turns to Baozi. "And you guessed true. We would have walked into a brutal slaughter otherwise. Thank you." And with that he goes to do some brutal slaughter of his own \o/

Last edited by Ladki96 on Sun May 20, 2018 5:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: =)

Postby CarrieVS » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:57 am

Baozi cannot immediately think what to reply to Wenchang, and then the Captain has gone, to mount his horse and lead his small company in the real business of the day. As the soldiers make ready to face battle Baozi feels a knot tighten in his stomach. What if he is wrong?

A thousand men's lives staked on his ideas, or at least partly on him. Besides all the camp followers who must be defended - including the Bei Ye orphans and shy little Li Yu - and the rest of the army under General Zou, who will surely suffer more if the van should fail. He knows in his head that his plan makes sense, and the officers who will now carry it out are good men and know their business, but he cannot feel certain of it in his heart. Learning is all well and good, but it is not the same as experience and the first real proof of his ability will be the fate of these brave men.

And at this moment there is nothing he can do, not until things begin to happen. And when they do, who knows what may become of their plans? He rests his hand for a moment on the hilt of his sword, which he is wearing for this occasion - less in case he should have to defend himself than that it just seems fitting. He does not expect or intend to use it today, but who knows what might happen?

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby Kivutar » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:01 pm

Somewhat tired from the effort, Dewang watches Wenchang ride off. That is all he can do, and everything is in the soldiers' hands now.

Perhaps not all. He looks after Wenchang's horse, already close to the enemy, and whispers one last prayer without any ritual or artifice.

Keep him safe.

Last edited by Kivutar on Sun May 20, 2018 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:18 pm

The rebel position is an excellent one for an ambush, but poor for an open battle. Their initial troops are their best and would have fallen upon the flanks of the Imperial force to great effect. But because their hidden location required the hills for cover the vast part of the force is blocked by the rise and must rush around (where an ambushed army would try to regroup) or must come over where they will be stalled by the effort.

So when the vanguard draws up opposite the enemy Liu Bei rides out to the front. Beside him to his left is Guan Yu, and to his left Wei Yan. To Liu Bei's right is Zhang Fei.

Liu Bei flourishes his whip and cries out to the enemy,“O malcontents! Why not dismount and be bound?”

Their leader is one called Cheng Yuanzhi, a bandit from Zhoucang with a foul temper. Knowing his position is poor but too proud to withdraw and choose better ground he sends out one of his captains, Deng Mao to challenge Liu Bei's force.

Without hesitation Yide charges to meet him and with his octane-lance he fells the enemy in a single pass with a thrust through the heart. Deng Mao is flung from his steed to lie lifeless on the damp earth.

Another enemy champion, Hua Tangyi, spurs forward to attack ZHang Fei while he is wheeling his horse and Yunchang is about to charge to the rescue when Liu Bei gestures to Wei Yan,

"Wenchang," he says simply.

At his lord's command Wei Yan rushed forward in a barreling charge and just as he tops a swell of earth barely a chi high he crashes down on his foe with a mighty strike from his dadao and cleaves Hua Tangyi to his collar.

Cheng Yuanzhi had already come forward to join the battle when he sees Guan Yu heft his mighty sabre-staff and what has become of his two cohorts. Gripped with fear he tries to turn away but it is too late and he falls to the ground in two halves.

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:53 pm

Wei Yan vs. Hua Tangyi

I warNED YOU GUYS

(1) Strategy
Baozi: [(-) (+) (0) (+)] + 5 = 6
Rebels = [(0) (-) (0) (+)] + 2 = 2
Result: Success with Style
Bonus: Constrained Enemy

(2) Sorcery
De Wang: [(-) (+) (+) (+)] + 5 = 7
Result: Success
Bonus: Luck

(3) Fencing
2 FREE INVOKES USED by Wenchang (Constrained Enemy and Luck)
FATE POINT USED by Wenchang (Killing Blow)
Wenchang: [(-) (-) (0) (0)] + 5 + 1 (Weapon Master) = 4 + 6 = 10
Hua Tangyi: [(+) (+) (+) (0)] + 0 = 3
Result: Success with Style

*goes to sleep in satisfaction*

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:00 am

At the deaths in such quick succession of the three leaders, some of the rebels begin to throw down their weapons and flee. The panic quickly spreads into a rout and the soldiers rush forward amongst them. Liu Bei watches the battle and then says "Well done Baozi; now we need only round them up."

"I would let them run," Baozi says, a little hesitantly. They will not regroup. The river should rid us of the most desperate - it is not fordable yet. The rest have seen your might: let them see your mercy too, and it may take the zeal for rebellion out of them - and perhaps others they spread the tale to."

Liu Bei nods approval, and turns away from him to give orders. Many rebels surrender, but those who flee are not ridden down, and if they do not rush headlong into the swollen river they disperse as Baozi predicted.

CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:58 am

The army regroups and marches with as many prisoners as they have soldiers to their destination on the banks of the Hutuo River. In truth the river is but a finger of the mighty Huang* River along its flood plain, but such its its size that it has earned a name of its own.

The ford town of Dongyuan would be a city were it not for the expanse of water dividing it into a dozen islands. Some are connected with stout bridges of stone while others use makeshift ones made from barges and rafts lashed together. There are even a few stoneworks beneath the water built long ago when the river was shallower. In dry seasons they rise up and most breach the surface enough to be used.

The people are relieved to see the army and tell stories of rebel attacks foiled by the locals due largely to their formidible, natural defenses. The only real trouble they have had is with the notorious pirate, Zhou Cang. He leads a troupe of miscreants called the Yellow River Wolves (Huang He Lang) and they say he ferried thousands of rebels across the river further upstream to the west. He has even attacks the town on several occasions to rob the ferrymen and tax collectors.

The entire thing makes Liu Bei furious but there is no time to hunt the pirates down because they must fortify the crossing and make it ready for the Youzhou Army.

It takes only a few days and then word arrives that the governor is coming south with General Gongsun's army to personally reward the successful vanguard. Each officer is given one month's salary** and each soldier double rations for one week plus 100 copper coins for each rank they hold.

When he gets there three days later word comes with him that a host of rebels has cut off the city of Qingji and more are coming to aid them. Since they are already rested it is decided that Zou Jing and Liu Bei will leave immediately to engage the rebel reinforcements while Gongsun Zan and the Governor will attack the force at Qingji.***

*Yellow
**29 silver taels for the PCs.
***Also called Nan Pi

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Kivutar » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:30 am

They are only staying a few days in this town, but it is a good-sized town and there are plenty of merchants. Dewang spends the next few days in endless haggling, and at the end of it all he has an empty cart and quite a lot of silver. He takes stock of everything. Five hundred taels. With the governor's reward, that is over thirty years of a clerk's salary.

It was worth it, every moment.

There isn't much time left, but it is never hard to find reasonably intelligent young men looking for a position.

Ren Lin looks lazy, until Dewang realizes that it is only some defect of his eyes that make them seem hooded. He talks slowly, but his hands are very fast when he writes.

Long He is tall, nearly as tall as Guan Yu, but skinny. Like chopsticks tied together, Dewang thinks. He never seems to sit still, and is quick to laugh.

Zhang Jun stares at Dewang in disbelief.
"Teaching children in an army camp?"
"That is correct."
"Is there no better place for a school? Why do you have children - how many did you say, two hundred, ten years old or less - following the army?"
Dewang shrugs. "That is my business." He expects Zhang Jun to leave, but instead the man grins.
"This could be interesting."

In contrast, Xian Kun doesn't seem to find anything strange at all. He is capable, he hastily assures Dewang, and he seems confident if unconcerned about the precise nature of the job.
Dewang looks down at his scroll.

He wants to leave this city, appears the neat, spindly writing. It seems to hesitate, and adds As soon as possible.

Dewang thinks a moment. He isn't in a position to judge anyone, but to entrust children to someone with a shady past...

But this boy looks innocent enough. There are many reasons why someone would want to leave the city where they were born.

"Are you a bad man?" he barks suddenly, and the youth nearly jumps out of his skin. "No- no!"

Dewang looks back at the scroll.
He isn't.

"Very well, I was only testing you, Mr. Xian. The army departs tomorrow."

Curses, and he only has four. He had hoped for five.

"Er, Mr. Xian, have you any friends or acquaintances? I had intended to find one more teacher, but there is not enough time."

Xian Kun squirms. "There is my sister."

Xian Jingyi is even more frightened than her brother, and he doesn't have the heart to interrogate her. But when she sees the children, she smiles.

Last edited by Kivutar on Sun May 20, 2018 3:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:42 am

disgustingly sentimental fluff
As soon as he is allowed to leave Wenchang goes home in the evening, making a stop at the market on the way. Both of his brothers are away on postings across the land, and his sister's wedding being celebrated the previous year, only his parents are at home, along with his elder brother's wife and his youngest sister.

Wenchang bows to his father and envelops his mother in a hug, lifting her off the ground. "Put me down boy!" she laughs. He obliges with a smile, and presents them with their gifts - a robe for his mother and a wine bottle for his father, which they proceed to open during dinner. At his father's urging Wenchang relates to them his actions in the army so far.

Wei Sr. drinks a cup and grunts. "Good. The fewer rebels the better. But Zhou Cang! That damned pirate has been the real pain in the arse for us all Yan."

"I gathered as much. What I wouldn't give to go after him! But there is little time for that. Colonel Liu has told us to prepare for the Youzhou army. We may leave as soon as they arrive. After we have dealt with the last of the rebels, when I come back, I'll track him down and rend him limb from limb, this I swear."

"And after that pretty business is concluded perhaps you will consider marriage at long last? I have a few alliances in mind." Mrs. Wei teases her son who only laughs before his sister-in-law mercifully changes the subject.

Wenchang comes outside and catches Lin's shoulder as she leaves the room after dinner. "Did you think I had forgotten you, littlest one?" She looks down but he gently lifts her chin. "Let me look at you. How you've grown! You'll be a woman soon. And a woman will need this." He inserts a colourful flower comb in her hair. She reaches up to feel it, and then flings her arms around his neck. "Ah brother! You have all gone and left me all alone!"

Wenchang spends as much time home as he can after seeing to the fortifications every day, discussing the fishing trade with his father and eating his mother's cooking, sometimes bringing along Boxiao at mealtimes. He also extends an invitation to the Colonel, his fellow Captains and Baozi. He hesitates to invite Dewang but the man seems rather busy in any case so he leaves it.

Governor Liu arrives at last, bringing with him news of the rebels. Dewang tells him there is enough money for the school at the moment, so Wenchang places his salary in his parents' hands as he bids them and a tearful Lin goodbye.

His energy back and the tales of the rebels' atrocities against his town having inflamed his heart, Wenchang is more enthused than ever to strike them down.

saving my milestone for now

Last edited by Ladki96 on Sun May 20, 2018 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:52 am

The first few days in Dongyuan are busy, with the fortifications and other preparations. Baozi is also helping Li Yu with his studies most days, and is becoming very fond of the little boy. He hasn't had much education before but he seems to be learning quickly.

On the second evening after they arrive in the ford town, Baozi is shocked to discover him sobbing quietly and inconsolably to himself. After much coaxing, it appears that he has been hearing tales about Zhou Cang and his River Wolves, and has worked himself into a state of abject fear that "the pirates will come and burn down the town" at any moment.

Baozi does his best to comfort him. He puts a protective arm around the child and squeezes him close. "They will do no such thing while we are here," he promises. "They would not dare. And even if they tried, the soldiers would stop them." Eventually he calms down enough to follow Baozi back to his quarters.

"Do you know how to play weiqi?" Baozi asks. Yu shakes his head, still red-eyed and sniffing. "I think you might enjoy it. The rules are very simple, but the strategy is very complex." He looks out the small board that he owns, and begins to explain. Yu is beginning to get the hang of the basics by the time they pack up, and is even smiling. Weiqi becomes a regular part of their lessons after that.

A few days later, Wenchang surprises Baozi by inviting him in his usual straightforward way to dinner with his family. Caught off guard and finding an answer expected of him quickly, he accepts as he can think of no reason not to. At least, it will be interesting to find out more about the man - he still barely knows Wenchang.

Like him, the Captain's family seem to be very nice but rather lively and outspoken, and Baozi is rather nervous of them all and particularly quiet throughout the meal, although he listens with unfeigned interest to all the conversation.

When the rest of the army arrives, accompanied by Governor Liu, Baozi is relieved that no-one finds any reason for him to be required at any meeting with him. That, in the circumstances, would be most uncomfortable. But the news he brings with him is rather dramatic, and throws the army into frenzied activity once more.

CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:46 pm

With the assistance of the locals and the previous entrenching plans the 3000 man force of Zou Jing and Liu Bei is assembled on the south bank of the river within a day and ready to march west. At the last moment it is decided that the rest of the Bingzhou infantry should accompany them and 2000 men are added bringing the total force up to 5000. Colonel Song Xian commands the Bingzhou troops.

Song Xian is proud and has the larger force so he demands the honor to lead the vanguard and Zou Jing relents. Liu Bei is moved to the rearguard.

They march for three days and then rest for one to survey the terrain. It is at that time that their scouts meet outriders from Lu Bu's raiding force. The next day Lu Bu meets them on the southern road and is glad to see his friends Song Xian and Liu Bei.

The terrain the are set to pass through is poor of roads and rich in dense forest and hills. Were it not for Lu Bu's previous actions it would be easy to lead the troops into and ambush. But the general waves off concerns and says, "Captain Liang has quelled all rebel resistance in the villages. Our march will not be interrupted."

Zou Jing has the governor's edict and so he retains over all command, but the vanguard swells with Lu Bu's raiders and begins a swift march southward. Guan Yu complains that the pace is too swift but Liu Bei quiets him, "It is not for us to dictate the tactics of superiors, Yunchang."

Two days later the soldiers are beginning to tire but they press on in order to clear the forest's edge and camp there for the night. The next morning they make for the town of Shigong. At noon the scouts have sighted the enemy and Lu Bu pushes the vanguard forward to meet them. The enemy quickly responds and a mass of rebels meets the Bingzhou infantry. It is clear that the rebels have the advantage of numbers but they have no answer for the power of Lu Bu.

The Flying General launches a devastating charge into the rebel flank before Zou Jing has even deployed for battle and throws the enemy into disarray. By the time the main force is in contact with the enemy Lu Bu has plunged deep into their ranks slaying as he goes. Liu Bei's force arrives in time to see that had that been all then the battle would be swift and certain.

But there is another force of rebels as numerous as the first who advances quickly and begins to surround Lu Bu and threaten Zou Jing's flank!

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

PreviousNext