Blade Runner: 2049 (2017)

What have you been watching?

Blade Runner: 2049 (2017)

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:56 pm

First official teaser is up:

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Re: Blade Runner: 2049 (2017)

Postby Tuli » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:35 pm

Oh wow. I'm actually pretty excited for several reasons.
1. This is how you do a movie trailer. Enough to give the audience a little taste. I'm sorry but most Hollywood trailers I've seen lately are fucking terrible with how long and bombastic they are and how many major plot points are spoiled as a result (Hello, Arrival). This one gives me hope.
2. The aesthetic of the trailer looks spot on and that was always one of my favorite things about Blade Runner! I'm especially pleased they seem to have kept faithful to the sound design from the first movie.
So yeah, I hope the story is good because I'm definitely going to have to see this in the cinema.

Tuli
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Experimental Protrude

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:29 pm

Does that mean that Deckard isn't a replicant?

Or is he a replicant without a 4-year lifespan?

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:06 pm

BROWNRECLUSE wrote:Does that mean that Deckard isn't a replicant?

Or is he a replicant without a 4-year lifespan?

I'm sure "fuck you" is the answer to both of those questions.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Macready » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:09 pm

Deckard is a replicant! He has red eyes:

Macready
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep
Title: Truth Seeker

Postby Jack Road » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:26 pm

Not sure if we need to spoiler a movie this old, but eh what the heck, I will anyways

Spoiler: show
The scene of Gaff and the origami unicorn irrevocably proves that Deckard is a replicant. Gaff knew about Deckard's unicorn dream earlier in the film. This means Gaff knew about Deckard's dream because it was an implanted memory. But that scene wasn't in both versions. So it depends what version the new movie is considering canon. It is possible that this Deckard is a different replicant. However, having been disappointed by a lot of movies in 2016, it is to me more likely that they were able to convince Ford to be in the movie, so of course they went with it, canon be damned.

Jack Road
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby Australia » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:39 pm

This movie is fantastic. I dare say it's better than the first. Having said that, you probably have to like Blade Runner to enjoy 2049. The original Blade Runner I loved the first time I saw it but the slow pace gets exponentially noticeable with every re-watch, since I've seen all the imagery before, and by now it's demoted to a movie I really like. And 2049 would probably have a similar issue because there are several long scenes, particularly at the start, but it was never boring, at least on my first viewing. The weakest part of the movie is Jared Leto not being anywhere near as compelling a villain as Rutger Hauer but mercifully he's only used sporadically. It's funny, until The Nice Guys, I didn't give a single shit about Ryan Gosling and now he's fast becoming one of my favourite actors.

It's the best so far of Harrison Ford's victory lap of his classic characters. I would say this is the best of the entire range of 'decades between' sequels but Mad Max: Fury Road exists. Anyway, between this, Logan, Guardians, Trainspotting, Skull Island and Kingsman, it's been a great year for sequels. Xander Cage does not count because that franchise was always garbage. Oh, yeah, Pirates and Alien. And the new Jumanji movie looks worse with every trailer. Shut up.

Oh, in case you were wondering, you only have to see the first Blade Runner to get the context of the movie. I completely missed the last two thousand and forty seven instalments and if I missed anything, they were just Easter eggs for the diehard fans and not major plot points.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:44 pm

Whew, I've only seen two of the youtube shorts and I've been hoping that I didn't just happen to miss the other 7 and a half that are necessary to understand the movie. The one by the Bebop director was amazing. I'm going to watch that a few times. If that's not a bluray extra then I won't buy the movie.

And please nobody spoil the answer to the question for me. Not the query about Deckard and if he's a skinjob. Nah, I want to know if they were able to pay Sean Young enough money to appear in a film again. Oh wikipedia why did I even bother, you're not going to put spoiler notices on anything. But hey at least I learned she claims to have rebuffed romantic advances from James Woods and Warren Beatty. Maybe if she had stuck it out in Hollywood for a while longer she could've had the chance to get creeped on by Harvey Weinstein too.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:14 pm

This may be the most visually captivating movie I've seen. And it was very, very good as well. Left the theater completely awestruck by it.

BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby Tuli » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:12 pm

I've gone to see Blade Runner 2049 twice in cinema. The first time was a regular 2D screening and all the while I kept thinking how it would look even more impressive with better picture quality... So I went a second time to see it in IMAX 3D and it was TOTALLY WORTH IT. If you have an opportunity to see it in IMAX, definitely do that! It's a worthy successor to the original in all respects. And funny thing, but the movie seemed to go by faster on my second watch. I must also mention being a huge fan of the sound design!

The characters are compelling and maybe it's because I've seen it twice but I've grown quite attached to them. The movie explores humanity on several levels...
I dunno if any of these qualify as spoilers but just to be sure
the old dichotomy of humans and replicants of course, but now there's also companion AIs (I guess that's what you'd call Joi). The most inhumane character in it all is of course Niander Wallace, the maker of replicants. Even Luv, his ruthless replicant assistant, shows more genuine emotion than Wallace. And to hammer the point home, Jared Leto has even opted to speak like a voice synthesizer, which kinda cracks me up.

Definitely spoilers now
There's a couple of things I'm still wondering about. Does the memory maker herself know who she is? And given that she lived in that dump of an orphanage, how did she come to be in those affluent surroundings later? Was she adopted by a rich couple by chance, or was it all part of the plot somehow? Not that I think these things should have all been answered in the movie (the runtime was already long enough) but maybe I missed something that others noticed.

Tuli
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Experimental Protrude

Postby LunarTeaHouse » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:38 am

I enjoyed it, but a lot of people in my theater didn't. A few people walked out during the sex scene, which I have to admit was pretty awkward. The guy in front of me was so bored he was audibly snoring (it was a dine-in theater, with suuuuper comfy chairs that are basically beds.)

I found it supremely confusing and had to use Reddit to understand what was really going on. I had seen the original, but not since the 90s and I'm pretty sure I didn't understand it then, either.

My favorite part was how K knew at the beginning that he wasn't special, that he was just an ordinary replicant with an ordinary job. Then over time, we got to watch him build up so much hope. Maybe he was actually born and not made! Maybe he had a family once, maybe he had relatives still! Maybe he was destined for greater things! And then at the end, you can see it in his eyes. "Oh, I actually am ordinary. No one loves me. I'm not special, I should have known..."

This is the most embarrassing piece of work since Clint Eastwood painted his wagon.
LunarTeaHouse
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:57 pm

I really enjoyed this movie. Way more than I thought I would.

My first thought was what's behind K/Joe having false memories implanted if such a thing is illegal? Was he the boy clone? I think I need to watch the movie again.

I liked the visuals. I do feel like someone went MGS2: Sons of Liberty and was like "oh you thought the original was good looking, now we've got rain effects that will slack your jaw". And "Oh, Hi, Atari symbol". The aesthetics of the first movie carried over but with technology that must have blossomed post-blackout. Great job in making it look like the same place but decades later.

Not sure how to feel about a virtual person's virtual lover virtually dying due to hardware destruction.

The overall tone of the movie speaks to humanity. You want to believe you're special. Most likely you're not. But if you can assist someone who you feel is special then you'll feel better about yourself. While you bleed out on a snowy stoop. Life! :D

The ending leaves a lot open. Like enough to make a sequel. Now that there's a family reunion how do the opposing sides of the alleged upcoming war handle that?

I don't understand the complaints some people had about the runtime. I mean it was only about 15 minutes longer than the Kingsman sequel which had a plot device that for some reason required a lot of time in the oven to half bake.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby Macready » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:33 pm

I thought this movie was very slow and should have had at least 30 minutes cut out. I was looking at my watch the entire time I was waiting for Harrison Ford to show up.

Macready
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep
Title: Truth Seeker

Postby Australia » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:23 pm

This may have overtaken the movie supercut as my favourite Steamed Hams bit.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby DoglovingJim » Mon May 07, 2018 12:51 pm

I watched it and enjoyed it, maybe even more than the first. Certainly could have used more Harrison Ford though.
I'm so bloody glad they didn't kill off Deckard.

I also the theatrical cut of the original film a hell of a lot better than the directors cut, why did he take off the voice-overs??????????

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Next