Florida school shooting

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: Florida school shooting

Postby LaoWai » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:07 pm

Well, go Dick's, I guess. I mean, I'm not too sure the branding name won't interfere, but way to show some balls, Dick's. I'll encourage all my relatives back home to shop there. Any company bumping the NRA has got my money if I can swing it.

{Yeah, I make mistakes.}

It's always in the last place you look for it, unless you're the kind of person who keeps looking for it after you've found it.
LaoWai
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 美国的白痴

Postby iMURDAu » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:57 am

I agree. Dick's blanketed response to this was a long time coming. I know this puts them in a sticky situation with their customers. However I believe their marketing department is full of cunning linguists that can properly root out the problem and hit the spot that makes the customers feel good about Dick's again.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Crimson847 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:12 am

Absentia wrote:Surprised nobody has mentioned it yet: Dick's Sporting Goods, the largest sporting goods retailer in the country, has announced they will no longer sell assault rifles (Dick's branded stores haven't sold them since Sandy Hook in 2012, but their outdoor specialty Field & Stream stores have up until now). They're also eliminating sales of high capacity magazines and restricting all firearms sales to customers over 21 years old.

Assault rifles have been almost completely illegal since 1934. What they're actually banning is rifles that fall into the category of "assault weapons". Notice that the ABC article says "assault-style rifles" rather than "assault rifles"--in other words, guns that look like an assault rifle but actually aren't, like the AR-15.

Here's a post I wrote elsewhere on the difference between assault rifles and "assault weapons", and the reason why minding the difference is so important for anyone who supports gun control.

As far as I can tell nobody disputed that the AR-15 is an "assault weapon" under the definition provided in the 1994 AWB. They're disputing whether the AR-15 is an "assault rifle".

The relevance of this is that assault rifles are, by definition, capable of fully automatic fire. The M16 is an assault rifle, for instance. Fully automatic fire is a feature that most Americans have agreed should not be allowed on mass-market civilian firearms, so if the AR-15 were an assault rifle then even most gun-rights people would think it should be banned. Only a minority of the most extreme gun control opponents think full-auto weapons should be allowed again, and the rest of the gun-rights movement tends to resent being lumped in with those folks, for the same reason liberals hate being lumped in with communists. That's why they hate it when you accuse them of wanting "assault rifles" to be legal.

By contrast, the legal definition of "assault weapon" was a semiautomatic weapon that possesses a detachable magazine and also possesses any of a list of ancillary features that were deemed threatening, including a bayonet lug, barrel shroud, underbarrel grenade launcher, silencer threads, a pistol grip on a non-handgun, or a collapsible stock.

While some of these criteria made perfect sense (grenade launchers for instance are a pretty absurd thing for a civilian to have), a lot of them are pretty arbitrary and unrelated to a weapon's killing power. For instance, barrel shrouds are a safety device designed to keep you from burning yourself on a hot barrel. They tend to make a gun look more "military" since shrouds are most common on military weapons, but they don't do anything to make the gun more powerful and they actually make it a bit harder to conceal if anything.

Consequently, there are quite a lot of Americans who think the Assault Weapons Ban was too broad, even among more moderate gun control supporters. It's certainly much more controversial than banning assault rifles, so it's important not to confuse the two.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:29 am

Yes, I was typing on my phone and wasn't paying attention. Good catch.

Though frankly I'm not sure they could have come up with a more confusing nomenclature if they tried.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:40 am

That teacher story is weird AF. Was he trying to kill himself? Was there a spider and he decided to destroy it? Something is funky about that story.

Crimson847 wrote:Assault rifles have been almost completely illegal since 1934. What they're actually banning is rifles that fall into the category of "assault weapons". Notice that the ABC article says "assault-style rifles" rather than "assault rifles"--in other words, guns that look like an assault rifle but actually aren't, like the AR-15.

I have seen many examples of people saying that the difference is irrelevant, but that just tells me that their position that all guns should be banned and/or they are arguing from a place of emotion rather than fact. That is a weakness on the part of those claiming to want sensible gun reform, unless their position is sensible only to them. This country was founded on and continues to move forward through compromise, and taking/banning ALL the guns is not compromise (nor realistic).

I was talking to a coworker today about this whole situation (rather than working), and we agreed that it is so strange that the same guns have been widely available for decades, but kids weren't so damn quick to shoot each other. It's strange to me that people/kiddos have gotten it in their heads that shooting people is better than dealing with bullies in a more healthy way (it's quite the low bar).

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby Crimson847 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:11 am

Absentia wrote:Yes, I was typing on my phone and wasn't paying attention. Good catch.

Though frankly I'm not sure they could have come up with a more confusing nomenclature if they tried.

My understanding is that it was a bit of a team effort. The folks who came up with the term "assault weapon" (and now "assault-style rifle") for the purposes of the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban and similar legislation were deliberately trying to make the guns in question sound scary and encourage people to confuse them with AKs and M4s, so as to gin up more public support for prohibiting them. And gun manufacturers were only too happy to feed the confusion in order to drive up sales of said guns, most notably the AR-15, which managed to become the most popular rifle in America due largely to the controversy building its reputation as an unstoppable killing machine. In truth, the AR-15 is overpriced garbage like Beats headphones or Monster cables--it costs over $1000 even for a used one and it's outperformed in every relevant respect (except in certain gun sports with specialized requirements) by guns that can easily be found for about a third of that price.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:50 am

The Florida legislature passed a gun control bill that would

- raise the minimum age to purchase any firearm to 21 from 18
- impose a three-day waiting period on gun purchases
- fund school police officers and mental health counselors
- allow local school districts and sheriffs to arm certain school personnel
- ban bump stocks.

Republican Governor Rick Scott signet it into law yesterday. The NRA immediately sued over the age restriction part, claiming that it is unconstitutional.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby reallifegirl » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:48 pm

Adding on to the whole conversation of 'What could possibly go wrong if we armed all the teachers' discussion, this just happened.

(Meredith) – A teacher accidentally fired a pistol inside a California classroom while lecturing about public safety and injured three students, according to police.

Dennis Alexander was pointing the gun at the ceiling when he inadvertently fired it Tuesday at Seaside High School, said Abdul Pridgen, the city's police chief.

Bullet fragments ricocheted off the ceiling and hit a 17-year-old student in the neck, Pridgen said. Shortly after the incident, class resumed as usual.

The teen’s father, Fermin Gonzales, said he rushed his son to the hospital after the 17-year-old returned from school with blood on his shirt and a neck injury.

“He’s shaken up, but he’s going to be OK,” Gonzales told KSBW. “I’m just pretty upset that no one told us anything and we had to call the police ourselves to report it.”

"I can believe things that are true and things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not."

Encyclopedia Dramatica wrote:Reallifegirl: Is supposedly a girl in real life, but we all know that's false. Gets highest comment roughly 75% of the time, and has never had a single red-thumbed comment. Ever.
reallifegirl
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Officially allegedly female

Postby Cobra-D » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:41 am

reallifegirl wrote:Adding on to the whole conversation of 'What could possibly go wrong if we armed all the teachers' discussion, this just happened.

(Meredith) – A teacher accidentally fired a pistol inside a California classroom while lecturing about public safety and injured three students, according to police.

Dennis Alexander was pointing the gun at the ceiling when he inadvertently fired it Tuesday at Seaside High School, said Abdul Pridgen, the city's police chief.

Bullet fragments ricocheted off the ceiling and hit a 17-year-old student in the neck, Pridgen said. Shortly after the incident, class resumed as usual.

The teen’s father, Fermin Gonzales, said he rushed his son to the hospital after the 17-year-old returned from school with blood on his shirt and a neck injury.

“He’s shaken up, but he’s going to be OK,” Gonzales told KSBW. “I’m just pretty upset that no one told us anything and we had to call the police ourselves to report it.”

Well the only solution is to arm the student to protect themselves from bad teachers.

The truth is like poetry, everyone fucking hates poetry.
Cobra-D
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: The Witty Flirt

Postby DoglovingJim » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:09 am

Cobra-D wrote:
reallifegirl wrote:Adding on to the whole conversation of 'What could possibly go wrong if we armed all the teachers' discussion, this just happened.

Well the only solution is to arm the student to protect themselves from bad teachers.

What happened to the other two injured students? And why the hell are teachers now publicizing that they have guns, I thought that it would be conceal carry for a reason and they'd only reveal it when it is needed.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Previous