Florida school shooting

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: Florida school shooting

Postby LaoWai » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:16 pm

Yeah, knife-control is definitely a Sisyphean sort of task, but the government does try to figure out how to respond immediately after an event. I was here when the first big school-stabbing happened. (I guess maybe that was the Nanping one.) I say "first," because that was the first I can remember making international headlines. Within two weeks, all the guards at schools had those fork things, which can definitely take down a guy with a knife.

Maybe a major difference is that people here really, really like children. I mean, Chinese just love the hell out of children. Take a puling baby into a restaurant and you're going to get the best service ever, plus tables-full of fascinated spectators going, "Daaaww..." Some people here aren't too keen on foreigners, to be honest, but if their children are fascinated by your ability to magically pull off your thumb or raise one eyebrow, you're gold. So if a knife hurts a kid, people will say, "Yeah, seems like knives have got to go."

It's always in the last place you look for it, unless you're the kind of person who keeps looking for it after you've found it.
LaoWai
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 美国的白痴

Postby DoglovingJim » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:31 pm

LaoWai wrote:Yeah, knife-control is definitely a Sisyphean sort of task, but the government does try to figure out how to respond immediately after an event. I was here when the first big school-stabbing happened. (I guess maybe that was the Nanping one.) I say "first," because that was the first I can remember making international headlines. Within two weeks, all the guards at schools had those fork things, which can definitely take down a guy with a knife.

Maybe a major difference is that people here really, really like children. I mean, Chinese just love the hell out of children. Take a puling baby into a restaurant and you're going to get the best service ever, plus tables-full of fascinated spectators going, "Daaaww..." Some people here aren't too keen on foreigners, to be honest, but if their children are fascinated by your ability to magically pull off your thumb or raise one eyebrow, you're gold. So if a knife hurts a kid, people will say, "Yeah, seems like knives have got to go."

Fork things? Never seen one of those before (not like a baton right?).

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby LaoWai » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:43 pm

It's more like the symbol they use for fire stations on Japanese maps, sort of like a U on a long stick, so it looks sort of like a funny Y...eh, I'll try to get a picture of one on tonight's walk, since I don't know the proper name to search for it online. It's way bigger than a baton, though.

It's always in the last place you look for it, unless you're the kind of person who keeps looking for it after you've found it.
LaoWai
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:19 pm

Don't you know that the knife and the fork are natural enemies?

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:35 pm

If fork beats knife, does spoon beat fork, and knife beat spoon?

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Tuli » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:53 pm

Interesting opinion piece on the topic: The Boys Are Not All Right

In order to not be link-dropping:
Boys, though, have been left behind. No commensurate movement has emerged to help them navigate toward a full expression of their gender. It’s no longer enough to “be a man” — we no longer even know what that means.

Too many boys are trapped in the same suffocating, outdated model of masculinity, where manhood is measured in strength, where there is no way to be vulnerable without being emasculated, where manliness is about having power over others. They are trapped, and they don’t even have the language to talk about how they feel about being trapped, because the language that exists to discuss the full range of human emotion is still viewed as sensitive and feminine.

Men feel isolated, confused and conflicted about their natures. Many feel that the very qualities that used to define them — their strength, aggression and competitiveness — are no longer wanted or needed; many others never felt strong or aggressive or competitive to begin with. We don’t know how to be, and we’re terrified

Tuli
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Experimental Protrude

Postby blehblah » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:00 pm

CarrieVS wrote:If fork beats knife, does spoon beat fork, and knife beat spoon?

And one rock to rule them all.

Trump isn't exactly known for his ability to empathize. Yesterday, he hosted a listening thingy with some kids and parents. The press managed to get a picture of his notes.

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/anal ... thing.html

Trump seems to favour arming teachers and guards.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43149694

At his White House event, Mr Trump promised to look "very strongly" at calls for educators to be armed with guns - a position long held by the National Rifle Association (NRA).

[..]

The NRA - which contributed an estimated $30m (£21m) to help elect Mr Trump - opposes a total ban on bump stocks but supports some regulation of the devices and some changes to background check legislation.

As implied, Trump is also backing stronger background checks, and banning bump stocks.

A quantum state of signature may or may not be here... you just ruined it.
blehblah
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Error General, Panic Colonel

Postby Marcuse » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:11 pm

CarrieVS wrote:If fork beats knife, does spoon beat fork, and knife beat spoon?

One spork to rule them all.

Also, I do think it's a mistake to talk about eliminating risk when it comes to either guns or knives. Especially so in the case of knives, it's impossible to extricate the usefulness of an edged blade from the danger of it being used on people. Really we can only ever manage risk, and try to strike a balance between utility and safety.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:56 pm

blehblah wrote:Trump isn't exactly known for his ability to empathize. Yesterday, he hosted a listening thingy with some kids and parents. The press managed to get a picture of his notes.

blehblah wrote:Trump seems to favour arming teachers and guards.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43149694

At his White House event, Mr Trump promised to look "very strongly" at calls for educators to be armed with guns - a position long held by the National Rifle Association (NRA).

Trump in 2016: "Crooked Hillary said that I want guns brought into the school classroom. Wrong!"

There's always a tweet.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Cobra-D » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:22 pm

So yesterday CNN hosted a townhall event with the survivors Of the shooting along with family and friends who got to ask questions to Senator Nelson, Rubio, Deutch, the Broward county Sheriff Scott Israel, and NRA spokeswoman Dana Loesch. President Trump and Govenor Rick Scott were also invited but did not attend, cause they busy making America great again obviously.

I don't like Rubio for a lot of reasons but I'll give him some respect for actually doing this. After watching it that could not have been remotely easy for him, especially after not wanting turn down NRA money after being asked if he would.

The truth is like poetry, everyone fucking hates poetry.
Cobra-D
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: The Witty Flirt

Postby LaoWai » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:04 pm

So, I did manage to get a snap of one of those forks, but it was tucked up into a tent because it was rainy tonight and, thus, looked like garbage. I showed the photo to a few people and asked what exactly you called it, getting various answers along the lines of "I don't know," "a fork-thing," "a camera, dumb-ass," "a picture," and "police-thing."

Later, a few cops happened to pop in for delicious fish, and it turns out it's called a 防暴叉 ("prevent"-"sudden and violent"-"fork"). Fun-fact: most Chinese people mess up the second character.

Since my own snap looks like garbage, here's a picture of some cops using two of them to incapacitate a guy:
Forkyou.png
Forkyou.png (238.95 KiB) Viewed 3679 times

Don't call that number, by the way.

Also, for those playing at home, chopsticks>fork>spoon>knife, based on archaeological evidence. I don't know what beats chopsticks, though, unless it's a really sharp piano student.

LaoWai
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:10 pm

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby IamNotCreepy » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:20 pm

LaoWai wrote:Also, for those playing at home, chopsticks>fork>spoon>knife, based on archaeological evidence. I don't know what beats chopsticks, though, unless it's a really sharp piano student.

Spork>chopsticks>fork>spoon>knife

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby LaoWai » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:32 pm

I see your spork and raise you a fpoon:
LearnWords.png
LearnWords.png (318.19 KiB) Viewed 3667 times

Noodle with that, brother.

LaoWai
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby LaoWai » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:54 pm

blehblah posted a picture, and

I sort of feel like that's a fake photograph, by which I mean, that's a blatantly fake photograph. Every time he cries "FAKE NEWS" another photo-shopper earns his wings by putting together this sort of image.

This sort of patently manufactured stuff is exactly why Trump is still considered a person who cares about people whose names don't end in "-ump" and begin with "Tr-."

Stuff like this is just another distraction from the real conversation that has to take place sooner or later: "What do we do about guns?"

LaoWai
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

PreviousNext