Ask a nurse

A repository for intrinsically valuable information

Re: Ask a nurse

Postby cmsellers » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:50 pm

Why does 70 degrees feel hot when it's dark outside and cool when it's sunny out? I used to think it was my circadian cycle, but that's been all over the place and I always feel hotter at night (for a given temperature) than during the day.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby sunglasses » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:23 pm

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about and can't say I've experienced what you're describing.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby ghijkmnop » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:56 pm

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby DoglovingJim » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:35 am

My guess is that he always found the heat more tolerable during the days, whereas during the night it becomes unbearable.

(because you're stationary? you're not moving around so there isn't any form of breeze? because your house had time to heat up?)

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby LaoWai » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:21 am

I'm going to go with evaporation on cmseller's question. Humidity levels peak at night here and drop off around noon.

The other possibility is that we (humans) like to be warm as all get out while asleep, so maybe your body is mentally (bodily) saying, "I wanna sleep, so it's warm." I've noticed I feel a lot warmer after a big meal, for example, even in frigid temperatures--it's like my body saying, "Dude, let's take a rest."

Or, you're broken. Any of those.

It's always in the last place you look for it, unless you're the kind of person who keeps looking for it after you've found it.
LaoWai
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 美国的白痴

Postby DamianaRaven » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:15 am

Here's a question for one of my favorite nurses:

How ya been, Sunshine?

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby sunglasses » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:40 am

Alive

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby DoglovingJim » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:06 am

sunglasses wrote:Alive

Uh oh, did something happen? Since whenever I respond like "alive" or "surviving" usually it means that my life is going terribly.

LaoWai wrote:The other possibility is that we (humans) like to be warm as all get out while asleep, so maybe your body is mentally (bodily) saying, "I wanna sleep, so it's warm." I've noticed I feel a lot warmer after a big meal, for example, even in frigid temperatures--it's like my body saying, "Dude, let's take a rest."

Or, you're broken. Any of those.

As for being warm, I thought your body prefers being at a colder temperature before you can enter the stages of Non-REM and REM sleep? Like how it's easier to fall asleep if you leave one of your legs out of the covers.

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:57 am

Vertically?

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby JamishT » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:36 am

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby IamNotCreepy » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:37 pm

So, anyone who has been on Discord in the last couple of days knows I have been violently ill. I wanted to document everything going on, see if you can make sense of it for me.

Spoiler: show
Last Tuesday our babysitter's family all got sick, throwing up.

Wednesday night, my daughter threw up multiple times, but she was back to normal Thursday.

Saturday night, I drank more than I normally do. In the middle of the night, my wife starts vomiting uncontrollably.

Sunday morning, I feel like shit. I start having diarrhea about every 15-30 minutes for several hours. Not sure at this point if I'm just hungover, sick, or both. I try to force myself to eat some soup and bread at lunchtime.

I fall asleep, but I wake up around 3-4pm feverish. I blow massive chunks. Everything I had eaten up to that point came back up, intact. It was like the food was completely undigested.

I feel better stomach-wise, but still having diarrhea pretty consistently. In the evening I have a fever of 101.2. I take some Tylenol and it goes down.

Monday, I am very lethargic and still having diarrhea. My in-laws had been watching my daughter, but when they bring her home they say she has been having diarrhea all day (she had been fine for the previous several days). She wakes up in the middle of the night throwing up with diarrhea.

Tuesday, my wife feels good enough to go to work. She had been having diarrhea too, but it had stopped by this point. My daughter was back to normal.

As the day went on, I started feeling worse and worse. I had been having bad abdominal cramps, and my muscles were sore from repeatedly going diarrhea. My stomach felt super acidic, and I was having awful and frequent sulfur burps.

It felt like all of the food I had eaten was just sitting in my stomach, undigested. I woke up Tuesday night with stomach pains, and then I threw up everything I had eaten the previous day.

I am feeling better now stomach-wise, and the cramps and the sulfur burps have stopped. I am still having diarrhea. My appetite is returning, but I am worried that my body is just not digesting food.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby Kivutar » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:00 pm

IamNotCreepy wrote:So, anyone who has been on Discord in the last couple of days knows I have been violently ill. I wanted to document everything going on, see if you can make sense of it for me.

Spoiler: show
Last Tuesday our babysitter's family all got sick, throwing up.

Wednesday night, my daughter threw up multiple times, but she was back to normal Thursday.

Saturday night, I drank more than I normally do. In the middle of the night, my wife starts vomiting uncontrollably.

Sunday morning, I feel like shit. I start having diarrhea about every 15-30 minutes for several hours. Not sure at this point if I'm just hungover, sick, or both. I try to force myself to eat some soup and bread at lunchtime.

I fall asleep, but I wake up around 3-4pm feverish. I blow massive chunks. Everything I had eaten up to that point came back up, intact. It was like the food was completely undigested.

I feel better stomach-wise, but still having diarrhea pretty consistently. In the evening I have a fever of 101.2. I take some Tylenol and it goes down.

Monday, I am very lethargic and still having diarrhea. My in-laws had been watching my daughter, but when they bring her home they say she has been having diarrhea all day (she had been fine for the previous several days). She wakes up in the middle of the night throwing up with diarrhea.

Tuesday, my wife feels good enough to go to work. She had been having diarrhea too, but it had stopped by this point. My daughter was back to normal.

As the day went on, I started feeling worse and worse. I had been having bad abdominal cramps, and my muscles were sore from repeatedly going diarrhea. My stomach felt super acidic, and I was having awful and frequent sulfur burps.

It felt like all of the food I had eaten was just sitting in my stomach, undigested. I woke up Tuesday night with stomach pains, and then I threw up everything I had eaten the previous day.

I am feeling better now stomach-wise, and the cramps and the sulfur burps have stopped. I am still having diarrhea. My appetite is returning, but I am worried that my body is just not digesting food.

Norovirus?

Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Hosea 3:1
Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Great Librarian

Postby IamNotCreepy » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:32 pm

Kivutar wrote:Norovirus?

Probably. Or some other kind of viral infection.

In other news, on Friday morning I threw up again. I went to the doctor, and they did an x-ray to make sure there was no blockage. Then she prescribed a diet of clear liquids for 24 hours to give my bowels a break, followed by 48 hours of super bland foods like rice and applesauce, and no dairy for 5 days.

I am feeling a lot better, but now I am waiting for the other shoe to drop. I've started to incorporate other foods, so we'll see what happens.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby DoglovingJim » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:51 am

Noticed this during the summer (Australian summer is hot...) but whenever I start sweating from physical activity and don't shower basically straight after I start developing all these red marks (and basically spots in the surrounding area) all over the surface of my skin along my spine (probably because that's where all the sweat goes) and a bit on my arms and neck.

What is causing this? And is there a way to stop it without having to take showers basically 5 times a day because it certainly doesn't seem normal and it didn't used to happen.

DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby LaoWai » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:25 pm

DoglovingJim wrote:Noticed this during the summer (Australian summer is hot...) but whenever I start sweating from physical activity and don't shower basically straight after I start developing all these red marks (and basically spots in the surrounding area) all over the surface of my skin along my spine (probably because that's where all the sweat goes) and a bit on my arms and neck.

What is causing this? And is there a way to stop it without having to take showers basically 5 times a day because it certainly doesn't seem normal and it didn't used to happen.

Maybe try searching for cholinergic urticaria to see if the red marks look similar? (They're basically hives.) I've known two people who developed CU later in life. Antihistamines helped for one of them. The other is still just showering all the time.

It's always in the last place you look for it, unless you're the kind of person who keeps looking for it after you've found it.
LaoWai
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 美国的白痴

PreviousNext