Dow Jones plummets

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: Dow Jones plummets

Postby Lindvaettr » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:17 pm

Another big reason for the sell-off is, of course, the sell-off. Lots of people panic the second they see the market take a hit, which makes the drop worse. This causes more people to panic and sell, the market drops further, and on and on. The media really needs to be more responsible with stuff like this and urge people not to sell. Selling when the market is dropping is a horrible, horrible idea, and has probably never helped anyone, including the people selling. Ride it out, and you'll be back on top in no time.

Lindvaettr
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Lord of the Dance

Postby Grimstone » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:44 pm

Seems to me like it would be very helpful for the buyers who get to come in and purchase the stocks at a price below their real value.

"The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart."
Grimstone
TCS Guerilla

Show rep
Title: Creature of the Night

Postby Lindvaettr » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:55 pm

Grimstone wrote:Seems to me like it would be very helpful for the buyers who get to come in and purchase the stocks at a price below their real value.

That's a good point, and the best advice during recessions (or to a less degree, dips like yesterday's) is buy buy buy if you can afford it, and that goes for stuff like real estate too. When investment prices are at a low point, you can really give your portfolio a boost by buying the stuff everyone is selling for pennies on the dollar. In a few months or years, you'll have dollars on the penny.

Lindvaettr
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby blehblah » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:35 pm

Grimstone wrote:Seems to me like it would be very helpful for the buyers who get to come in and purchase the stocks at a price below their real value.

That's why I'm going to convert my crypto-currency into blue-chip stocks, just as soon as the experts tell me it's wise to do so.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/06/bitcoin ... -says.html

Bitcoin price will crash to zero, Nouriel Roubini says

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/07/bitcoin ... s-say.html

Cryptocurrency market could hit $1 trillion this year with bitcoin surging to $50,000, experts say

Erm... thanks, experts, I guess? Know what, I'm going to consult a far more reliable source.

Spoiler: show
Maybe try roulette?

A quantum state of signature may or may not be here... you just ruined it.
blehblah
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Error General, Panic Colonel

Postby Lindvaettr » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:59 pm

blehblah wrote:
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/07/bitcoin ... s-say.html

Cryptocurrency market could hit $1 trillion this year with bitcoin surging to $50,000, experts say

Erm... thanks, experts, I guess? Know what, I'm going to consult a far more reliable source.

Yeah, consulting more reliable resources is a good idea, especially since every "expert" that article links work in blockchain technologies. Most of them worked for coin exchanges themselves, which makes their opinion that cryptocurrencies will go on a bull run this year fairly suspect. They're not necessarily wrong, but I definitely won't trust someone with skin in the game to give an unbiased opinion.

Lindvaettr
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby ghijkmnop » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:34 pm

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:46 pm

This man is a walking conservative caricature from a Jack Ohman political cartoon.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Crimson847 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:38 pm

"Big mistake"?

Did...did he just try to threaten the stock market for not doing what he wants?

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Grimstone » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:24 pm

blehblah wrote:

That's why I'm going to convert my crypto-currency into blue-chip stocks, just as soon as the experts tell me it's wise to do so.

I think a lot of things have value independent of whatever the market currently thinks they are worth which is why it's possible to identify when a stock is undervalued or overvalued(also keep in mind the market isn't ran by financial experts and economists). Bitcoin OTOH is a different story, until it sees real use as a serious currency(and I'm doubtful it will as it encourages hoarding and penalizes spending) it's value is based entirely on speculation.

"The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart."
Grimstone
TCS Guerilla

Show rep
Title: Creature of the Night

Postby blehblah » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:31 pm

Grimstone wrote:
I think a lot of things have value independent of whatever the market currently thinks they are worth which is why it's possible to identify when a stock is undervalued or overvalued(also keep in mind the market isn't ran by financial experts and economists). Bitcoin OTOH is a different story, until it sees real use as a serious currency(and I'm doubtful it will as it encourages hoarding and penalizes spending) it's value is based entirely on speculation.

That sounds pretty close to an expert opinion.

*squints at Grim*

THE OWL SAYS BUY, AND WE ALL KNOW OWLS ARE WISE!

And then, and then, seriously, stop laughing, you're making me laugh, and then I said,
I barely look like an owl! Awww, haaaaaah, it was a hoot.

A quantum state of signature may or may not be here... you just ruined it.
blehblah
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Error General, Panic Colonel

Postby sunglasses » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:15 pm

Here's the thing: The DOW Jones score doesn't actually mean dick in regards to the economy.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Absentia » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:58 pm

sunglasses wrote:Here's the thing: The DOW Jones score doesn't actually mean dick in regards to the economy.

The Dow isn't even that great as an indicator of the whole stock market. Other indexes like the S&P 500 (which also dropped on Monday but not by as much) are more robust.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby IamNotCreepy » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:37 pm

So the CPI (Consumer Price Index) was released this morning, which tracks the prices of various goods, in order to measure inflation.

And ... it looks like prices went up more than expected, so there's a good chance there will be another big sell-off today based on inflation fears.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Previous