Sports section?

Discussion, in general

Re: Sports section?

Postby DoglovingJim » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:33 pm

iMURDAu wrote:I double post all the time in this thread but it's a different subject I'd like to bring up.

This thread is the perfect place to double post, but I'll help you out by posting something as well.

Australian boxer Jeff Horn is now rumored to be in agreement for a fight with American Terrance Crawford, and an old Anthony Mundine knocked some no name out in two rounds and wants to now fight Jeff Horn too.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby Anglerphobe » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:04 am

UFC 220 just wrapped up a few minutes ago, with neither contested belt (Heavyweight and Light Heavyweight) having left its current holder. The reaction of various MMA forums and media sights to heavyweight challenger Francis Ngannou's failure to defeat champion Stipe Miocic has been predictably terrible.
I've decided, for my own sake, to stop counting the people saying racist shit, but my main annoyance is the self congratulatory laughing about the "hype train" being "derailed" and mocking of the largely imaginary shock and disbelief of inferior "casuals". What makes it particularly annoying is how it gives people who are less insufferable about discussing the fight pause, in case we catch some of their deserved backlash.

On a happier note, Miocic executed his gameplan near perfectly to break the Heavyweight title defence record and essentially finish clearing out the division. The only men left for him to fight are the elusive Cain Velasquez and maybe Alexander Volkov EDIT: I'm so sorry, Curtis Blaydes, for forgetting to include you when I first wrote this. Stipe vs Cain would be absolutely huge if it happens. DC demolished newcomer Volkan Oezdemir in the classy but violent vintage DC way. I'm really happy for him, after all the bullshit of last year.
Amusingly, with Ngannou's defeat tonight, all three of the UFC's headlining Body Armor sponsered athletes have been beaten. Cody Garbrandt was knocked out by TJ Dillashaw, Cynthia Calvillo was UD'd by Carla Esparza, and now Ngannou has been UD'd by Miocic. The Body Armor sports drink curse is, apparently, even more powerful than Heavyweight consecutive title defence curse.

EDITED for coherence and clarity, because sleepy anglerphobe can't construct sentences, and to include what is below this line.

Namely, Rory MacDonald's capture of the Welterweight world title at Bellator 192. The Candian Psychopath defeated Douglas Lima "Bean" (not official nicknames) in a hard fought unanimous decision to take his title. It wasn't a high octane action fight, as such, but it was very exciting. It went back and forth with MacDonald just pulling it off in the final frame.
Afterwards, Rory described Lima as the toughest opponent of his career. This, coming from a man who fought insane battles against Robbie Lawler and Carlos Condit, is a tremendous accolade for the Brasilian. Accordingly, Rory left this fight in true Rory fashion - ie on a stretcher looking like a desecrated corpse. His face was pulverised, he was covered in blood and bruises, and his lead leg had a segment where it was doubly thick due to the swelling caused by Lima's kicks. The worrying thing about this is that MacDonald has been fighting professionally since the age of 16, meaning that at just 28 he has accumulated a huge amount of damage with the ferocious fights he's had. Compare Francis Ngannou, three years older, who is a toddler in the sport by comparison with no damaging fights to hinder him. Rory looks like the Portrait to Francis' Dorian Grey. I am honestly concerned for Rory's future, especially as another bout with Mr Bean is sure to be in it. There's a line you can't step back from, and at this rate Rory will find it before he reaches 30.

Last edited by Anglerphobe on Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:24 am

Ugh, so much for watching the Superbowl.

What gets me is Romo at the end there acting like the Pats were underdogs. "WITH ALL THE DISTRACTIONS THAT ARE DISTRACTIONS TO NOBODY, DESPITE TOM BRADY'S PHANTOM INJURY, DESPITE PLAYING AGAINST A TEAM LED BY BLAKE BORTLES, THE PATS HAVE SOMEHOW MANAGED TO PULL OUT A VICTORY TO GO TO THE SUPERBOWL FOR THE 20TH TIME IN 20 YEARS!"

They do this shit every year, and it gets so goddamn tiring. ESPN and the like come up with some controversy that's definitely gonna stop the Patriots this time that the Patriots don't seem to care about, and when they march to another Superbowl with all the inevitability and excitement of the tide coming in, they can be painted as some kind of exciting underdog.

It's almost like they're catching on that everyone outside the northeast hates the Pats unless they're a bandwagon fan.

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:42 am

I only hate the other teams in the NFC East. If they're playing the Eagles I'll be the biggest Pats fan this side of Cape Cod for the next two weeks.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:56 am

The only consolation I felt was that Gronk is now one step closer to CTE and a future of forgetting things and shitting his pants.

Then I felt shame for getting that worked up about the Patriots winning that I would wish permanent brain disease on a man I do not know.

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby Lindvaettr » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:54 am

Fuck the Vikings.

Lindvaettr
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Lord of the Dance

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:44 am

Yeah, I'm so sorry, Vikings fans. If it makes you feel better, Dolphins fan checking in, disappointed to see our division rivals once again headed for a SB ring.

Good, though. No matter how bonkers the playoffs were, both top seeds are going to the Super Bowl for like...the eighth time in a row so the Pats can win for the fourth time in five years. Consistency, right there.

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Lindvaettr » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:47 am

At least it wasn't a surprise outcome.

Lindvaettr, 01/16/2018 wrote:Something terrible is going to happen to the Vikings before all this is said and done. It's probably going to be an embarrassing loss to the Eagles

Doodle Dee. Snickers wrote:No matter how bonkers the playoffs were, both top seeds are going to the Super Bowl for like...the eighth time in a row so the Pats can win for the fourth time in five years. Consistency, right there.

I guess maybe it'll be nice looking back and talking about the times of old when the Patriots won practically every Superbowl, as the robot sportscasters 30 years from now lament the Patriot's second no-win season in a row, or something. It's like being part of history, except one of the sucky parts.

Lindvaettr
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:55 am

Lindvaettr wrote:
Doodle Dee. Snickers wrote:No matter how bonkers the playoffs were, both top seeds are going to the Super Bowl for like...the eighth time in a row so the Pats can win for the fourth time in five years. Consistency, right there.

I guess maybe it'll be nice looking back and talking about the times of old when the Patriots won practically every Superbowl, as the robot sportscasters 30 years from now lament the Patriot's second no-win season in a row, or something. It's like being part of history, except one of the sucky parts.

Yeah, it's especially sucky when them being in your division means you're at best gunning for a wild card by week 10.

But hey, at least the Eagles have never won a SB before. They've been suffering for a while too. Just a shame that the Pats are here to show all these upstarts why dreams are best relegated to movies and that the bad guys usually win IRL.

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby ghijkmnop » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:07 am

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby Lindvaettr » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:26 am

Doodle Dee. Snickers wrote:But hey, at least the Eagles have never won a SB before. They've been suffering for a while too. Just a shame that the Pats are here to show all these upstarts why dreams are best relegated to movies and that the bad guys usually win IRL.

Even though my Vikings were just characteristically trounced by them, I'm definitely hoping for an Eagles win against the Pats. For some reason, I've always had a soft spot for the Eagles, so I'm happy to cheer for them over Tom Brady getting another ring. Unfortunately, Tom Brady is set on having more of them than he has fingers.

I'm sure you'll be very pleased in a couple weeks here to hear the commentators expressing their shock at the amazing and unexpected Super Bowl win.

Lindvaettr
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:05 pm

The Eagles can win the Super Bowl. I don't think they will because I'm used to heartache and it's all I know.

But they've got the Pats running back from last year and one of their D-lineman who started for them is part of our rotation. Power running game and a good defense has stopped the Pats in the past. And almost stopped them, Seattle.

They hung 38 unanswered on the best defense in the NFL. They're 5.5 point underdogs in the next game. The fuck, Vegas? I know Brady isn't Case Keenum but Nick Foles is back to his vintage self. ESPN is mystified as to how this can be but it's not like he hasn't put up insane numbers before over the course of an entire season.

Foles imo was never a bad QB but his problems were Chip Kelly's scheme got figured out and that's why Kelly coached teams couldn't win games and then when Foles was with the Rams his coach was QB killer Jeff Fisher. Look how much better Foles, Keenum and Jared Goff are playing now that they're not under Fisher.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Anglerphobe » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:41 pm

MMA fans have been annoying me again.

Inevitably, former champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk got her immediate shot at reclaiming the UFC strawweight belt from champion Rose Namajunas. I hoped the UFC wouldn't make this fight, but I knew it was pretty much guaranteed to happen.
Following her defeat (a first round loss to strikes that was officially recorded as a TKO by the NYSAC but is generally thought to have been technically a submission to strikes*) Joanna discussed problems with her weight cut with sports media and fired her nutrition team. Apparently, a botched "hard" weight cut* led her to cut 15 pounds or 6.8kg of water weight overnight in order to make weight in the morning. This was not explicitly framed as an excuse for her failure, though it was implied to have affected her performance. When this came back into focus ahead of the rematch, MMA fans were more than happy to accuse her of making excuses and fighting too far below her weight to have a size advantage.
What annoys me is the fact that whenever the dangerous consequences of weight cuts come up (As with Uriah Hall recently, who collapsed from a possible seizure on his way to the weigh-ins) fans are all quick to condemn the practice as harmful to the sport, but when a fighter actually documents problems with their cut they could have kept quiet they are attacked. In Joanna's case, her cut was managed by her nutrition team. As she relates, it went badly, and she implies that it affected her performance. People are treating her firing of her nutrition team as buck passing and excuse making.
Now, I do feel that Miss Violence should be competing at flyweight (a choice which wasn't available to her until late last year) but the fickleness of fans who would have crucified her for vacating her title due to weight cutting problems, or for missing weight, or for abandoning the division to compete at flyweight, is infuriating. This kind of thing is even more annoying than the doe eyed fanboys/girls who harp on about the abilities of their favourites. The MMA peanut gallery is one of the things I can't stand about the sport.

terminology
Fight Stoppages - In MMA, there is no knockdown or rule and no count, so a "knockout" results only from the referee stepping in to call off the fight. Usually, this results in a TKO - ie the referee stopping contest before one competitor is fully incapacitated on the grounds that they can no longer safely continue. A TKO happens on the referee's initiative. A fighter can also get the referee to save them voluntarily by submitting either verbally or by tapping out. This is sneered at by a lot of fighters and fans as cowardice, a bravado extended to certain submission holds too. Tapping out is viewed with derision as a voluntary alternative to the referee's stoppage.

Weight Cutting - Professional weight cutting comes in two basic stages. The "hard" cut is done by diet and fat burning exercise in camp, and is followed by a "water" cut during fight week in which the body is dehydrated to meet the actual weight for the scales. Naturally, you want to minimise the water cut as much as possible without sacrificing your muscle mass in the hard cut.

Unrelated: This is a picture of Rory MacDonald's leg after his title fight last Saturday, which I referred to in my last post. Spoilered because it's not pleasant to look at.

Spoiler: show

Old MacDonald had a haematoma the size of a fucking banana,
E-I-E-I-O

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby Lindvaettr » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:46 pm

After reading about how Eagles fans assaulted Vikings fans before, during, and after last Sunday's game, and the same fans' long history of violent and despicable behavior, I'm switching to rooting for the Pats this year. I don't care how many times the Patriots have won, or how insufferable New Englanders are about them. No team with fans as violent as the Eagles' fans deserve to win. It's absolutely disgusting.

Lindvaettr
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:05 am

#notalleaglesfans

That CBS Sports link is a clickbait hit piece. Oh wow some people at the draft booed when Ricky Williams wasn't taken and they looked stupid when McNabb turned out to be a great player, but nobody says anything about the reaction Mitch Trubisky got from Bears fans. A couple idiots burned a jersey, that's only ever happened in Cleveland, Boston, and Salt Lake City. Oh no, they booed replacement Santa about 50 years ago. Ya know, back when there wasn't even a Super Bowl.

The assault of Chief Zee and throwing of batteries are the only things that are truly despicable. I've seen the entire AFC North have their fans engage in snow/iceball throwing at some point or another. Bad behavior isn't restricted to fans of one city or team. How about the early morning fire alarms that always seem to happen in hotels where teams visiting the Patriots stay at? That's one way to get a home field advantage.

But hey let's blame the Eagles for everything bad since they were playing when a Carolina Panthers fan sucker punched a 62 year old who was rooting for the same team.

Shiiiiiit try being a baseball fan if you want to potentially lose your life witness poor fan behavior.

Fans everywhere are assholes. Fan is short for fanatic. When I worked at a call center in Ohio I had a manager scream a bunch of hateful shit right in my face because I had a dark blue jacket on. He assumed I was a Michigan Wolverines fan and they were playing Ohio State in football and the game was on in the cafeteria. I can only imagine how he'd have behaved in a bar setting.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

PreviousNext