Harvey Weinstein and Victim Blaming

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: Harvey Weinstein and Victim Blaming

Postby sunglasses » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:17 pm

None of these accusations against Franco has been proven in court, and no charges have been laid against the actor. He has not commented on the new accusations.

From the article. Yeah, it's been rumored that he hits on ppl on social media for a long time but I hadn't heard about the rest of it.

At least there wasn't a dick pic in the one, right?

*sigh*

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby cmsellers » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:42 pm

AboveGL wrote:I always thought Seagal was already well-known for being a disgusting letch as well as a bullshitter? I guess we're not reserving the shame list for those whom we've only just learned of their shittiness.

Seagal is a fan and personal friend of Joe Arpaio and made a TV series trying to glamorize him, so he was already one of my least-favorite people in Hollywood.

Aquila89 wrote:By the way, in a 2004 Playboy interview, Hoffman said that he lost his virginity when he was 15, to his brother's girlfriend who was so drunk that she mistook him for his brother.

I went in. It was dark, and she said, "Is that you, Ronny?" I said yes, lying for fear that she'd reject me. I wasn't old enough to drive a car, so I thought maybe I wasn't old enough to drive a woman. I remember whistling because I wanted to appear relaxed as I was taking off my clothes. It was wonderful. I came quickly and kept humping and humping. I thought, Is that all there is? I kept waiting for the next fireworks. The humping went on for about 20 minutes until somebody opened the door. It was just like a movie: A shaft of light was thrown from the hallway onto my face, and she screamed because I wasn't my brother.

Yeah, they call that rape by deception. This story created no controversy at the time. He told it like a funny anecdote, and it was taken that way.

I remember when I watched Revenge of the Nerds and one of the Nerds commits rape-by-deception and then his victim realizes he's a better lover. And I was like "holy fuck he just committed rape and it was played for laughs." And then Cracked did an article which talked about that scene like it wasn't fucking obvious that he committed rape, which clearly at the time it somehow wasn't.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby SandTea » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:10 pm

Weinstein got slapped at a restaurant.

The tmz video of the event. It wasn't what I thought of when I heard "slap". There wasn't any wind-up or follow through to it. Still an inadvisable action. I say that not just because people shouldn't be slapping folk but because that first link makes it seem like it was the slappers plan.

TMZ reported that the producer, who is said to be undergoing rehab through the exclusive Meadows center in Wickenburg, was eating dinner with his "sober coach" at about 9 p.m. when a man at an adjacent table asked to take a photo with him. Weinstein declined.

When Weinstein and the coach got up to leave, the other diner told his friend to start filming what was about to occur, TMZ reported.

Not that harvey doesn't deserve a good premeditated slap, just that the vanity of wanting it filmed and doing it in public is just dumb.

the edit- Also, Franco has made a statement of sorts-

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby Aquila89 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:59 pm

cmsellers wrote:I remember when I watched Revenge of the Nerds and one of the Nerds commits rape-by-deception and then his victim realizes he's a better lover. And I was like "holy fuck he just committed rape and it was played for laughs." And then Cracked did an article which talked about that scene like it wasn't fucking obvious that he committed rape, which clearly at the time it somehow wasn't.

Sixteen Candles came out in the same years as Revenge of the Nerds. In this beloved teen classic, Jake Ryan wants to get rid of his drunk girlfriend, Caroline, so he tells Ted to drive her home, telling him: "She's so blitzed, she
won't know the difference." And indeed it seems that she doesn't. Caroline and Ted end up having sex, and in the next morning, she's happy about it.

I don't recall this part bothering me when I first watched the movie as a teen (not in 1984, I wasn't yet born then). Now I don't understand why it didn't, and I don't understand how could that be in a teen comedy. In 1984! That wasn't long ago - post second-wave feminism... and still, still...

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Australia » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:05 pm

You thought 80s was too recent, Little Man came out in 2006 and the lead character in that rapes-by-deception another character* (off-screen and I think he's supposed to be a bad guy but still). Then again, I don't think anyone in their right mind is calling that movie a cult classic. I think the slogan may have been "And you thought White Chicks was bad."

*Pretending to be a baby pretending to be her husband because the scene needed to be as illogical as it was creepy.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby Aquila89 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:28 am

Australia wrote:Pretending to be a baby pretending to be her husband because the scene needed to be as illogical as it was creepy.

Well, that's a bit less bad in my opinion, because it has nothing to do with reality - I mean, we can safely assume that nothing like that ever happened in the real world. But taking advantage of a drunk teenage girl - that happened many times.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:45 am

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby Crimson847 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:56 am

Maybe not.

Harmon’s current series Rick and Morty was created for Adult Swim, a network whose boss, Mike Lazzo, has gone on the record saying that he doesn’t respect women’s creative skills and whose show creators and writers are over 95% male.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:02 am

Crimson847 wrote:

Maybe not.

Harmon’s current series Rick and Morty was created for Adult Swim, a network whose boss, Mike Lazzo, has gone on the record saying that he doesn’t respect women’s creative skills and whose show creators and writers are over 95% male.

Dammit....the end of fucking Pickle Rick was so close.

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:01 am

Jess Cliffe, co-creator of Counterstrike, has been charged with sexual exploitation of a minor.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Aquila89 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:16 pm

Today, a jury found Bill Cosby guilty of drugging and raping Andrea Constand in 2004.

--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Crimson847 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:20 am

Apparently Tom Brokaw has now been accused.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/04/26/media/n ... index.html

I'm kinda hoping the accusations are found credible. Not because I have anything against Brokaw, but because the puns with his name write themselves.

"Hey look, it's Tom Gropaw!"

"What do you call a guy who tries to grope Ronda Rousey? Tom Brokepaw"

"I'm sorry, we just can't tolerate this Tom. You Brokaw the rules of common decency."

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Thu May 24, 2018 10:34 pm

Weinstein will surrender to NYPD and is expected to be charged with sexual misconduct towards (at least) two women.

And while I was looking for a link, I found this. Apparently accusations of unwanted comments and back-rubbing are being lodged against Morgan Fucking Freeman.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Fri May 25, 2018 10:39 am

More than just back rubbing... A production assistant on Going in Style said:

In one incident, she said, Freeman "kept trying to lift up my skirt and asking if I was wearing underwear." He never successfully lifted her skirt, she said -- he would touch it and try to lift it, she would move away, and then he'd try again. Eventually, she said, "Alan [Arkin] made a comment telling him to stop. Morgan got freaked out and didn't know what to say."

And perhaps the most damning part:

CNN reached out to dozens more people who worked for or with Freeman... Several other times during this investigation, when a CNN reporter contacted a person who had worked with Freeman to try to ask them if they had seen or been subjected to inappropriate behavior by an actor they had worked with -- not initially even naming the actor they were asking about -- the person would immediately tell them they knew exactly who the reporter had in mind: Morgan Freeman.

--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Crimson847 » Fri May 25, 2018 11:27 am

Absentia wrote:Apparently accusations of unwanted comments and back-rubbing are being lodged against Morgan Fucking Freeman.

In retrospect his middle name should have been a tipoff.

- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

PreviousNext