Oprah Winfrey for President?

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Oprah?

Hell yeah!
3%
Fuck no!
60%
Abortions for some, miniature American flags for others!
38%

Total votes : 40

Oprah Winfrey for President?

Postby DamianaRaven » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:35 am

Rumor has it, she's thinking about it. Her campaign slogan should be "Hindsight is 2020."

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Re: Oprah Winfrey for President?

Postby 52xMax » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:59 am

I vote we move this to USLAE because, really?

Also, that would be a hard no from me. Oprah is an even bigger snake oil salesman than Trump ever dreamed of. She made an entire television network peddling a bunch of nonsense, mostly harmless, but she also promotes dangerous, ignorant pseudoscience, the likes of Andrew Wakefield via Jenny McCarthy. Not to mention she gave platforms to countless other quacks including Dr. Phil, Dr. Oz, Deepak Chopra, and literally any "gurus" without doing the minimum amount of research into their claims which are dubious at best, and life threatening at worst.

"When in doubt... well, don't ask me!"
52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Salmon the Wise

Postby JamishT » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:08 am

We need a president who knows how government and/or the office of the president/executive branch works, preferably by experience. So a governor, senator, or representative, please. Not another personality with a cult following. Also, Max makes very valid points about the guests and stuff that she's pushed on her network and magazine.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby Australia » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:57 am

The amount of times I've seen her release bees on her constituents, I can't imagine they'd vote for her.
Australian politics is stupid but at least as terrible and boring and useless as our leaders are, they have, you know, prerequisites in aiding the running of a country and are actual politicians instead of TV personalities who can't even say 'but I've played politician on TV'. (I mean I'm sure Trump can say that, it just wouldn't be true.) Does that stop me from voting for the Inanimate Carbon Rod every election? No, but they knew what they were getting themselves into when they force someone like me to vote. Besides even if the Carbon Rod was elected, it'd be usurped within a fortnight by a lump of coal or something anyway.

See, this is why people shouldn't ask my opinion on politics. I'm more nonsensical than the subject itself.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby Grimstone » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:50 am

Yes, please... nominate another woman candidate who this time also happens to be a minority. /s

Do you want Trump re-elected? Because this is how you get Trump re-elected.

"The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart."
Grimstone
TCS Guerilla

Show rep
Title: Creature of the Night

Postby DoglovingJim » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:33 am

DamianaRaven wrote:Rumor has it, she's thinking about it. Her campaign slogan should be "Hindsight is 2020."

Damiana, considering you made the original post and the original score was 1-1 (with the no being mine). Does that mean you wish to see her run/become president and what made you have that view? Or did you not vote and someone else secretly decided "yes please" regarding President Winfrey?

Considering I also should give my view (even though I'm Australian and it doesn't apply to me unless the next president wants us to go to war against someone) here it is:
-Personally I don't like the idea of the presidency only being allowed exclusively for billionaires and would prefer for America to be led by another peanut farmer instead.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby JamishT » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:41 am

I should add that basically any main cast member from The West Wing is perfectly qualified in my book. Those are the only celebrities I'd be okay with having in the Oval Office in an official capacity.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby IamNotCreepy » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:10 pm

Yeah, I think the solution to a wholly-unqualified celebrity billionaire on the right is not a wholly-unqualified billionaire on the left.

While Oprah is not as crazy/stupid/racist/senile/narrow-minded/short-sighted/etc. as Trump, she is a peddler of dangerous horseshit. I don't want to see Surgeon General Dr. Oz.

I agree that we need someone who is experienced, competent, and will appoint other experienced and competent people to important positions of power.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby Irishjava » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:43 pm

I wouldn't be upset to see her stepping into politics in a supporting role, but am completely averse to the idea of her running for president. Want to campaign hard for Gillibrand, or hop on to Biden's ticket? Sure. It might not be a bad idea to tie a near-universally well-liked and inspiring figure to a relatively boring candidate. As everyone else has said, however, we need a seriously qualified president right now. Don't follow Trump with Oprah or the Rock, FFS.

"Prepare to be emancipated, from your own inferior genes!"
-Abradolf Lincler
Irishjava
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby ghijkmnop » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:22 pm

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby jbobsully11 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:57 pm

JamishT wrote:I should add that basically any main cast member from The West Wing is perfectly qualified in my book. Those are the only celebrities I'd be okay with having in the Oval Office in an official capacity.

Not even the cast of The Newsroom?

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby IamNotCreepy » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:10 pm

JamishT wrote:I should add that basically any main cast member from The West Wing is perfectly qualified in my book. Those are the only celebrities I'd be okay with having in the Oval Office in an official capacity.

Spoiler: show

Hell, I'd settle for That's My Bush! over Trump...

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby Lindvaettr » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:38 pm

If we're going to elect another celebrity to be President, I say we pass an Arnold Amendment and vote him in. He was a pretty good governor, and the world needs the story of the man who started out as a bodybuilder, got rich laying bricks, became one of the most famous actors of all time despite a total inability to act, married a Kennedy, got elected as California governor without really even campaigning, and then went on to become the first foreign-born president of the United States.

Lindvaettr
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Lord of the Dance

Postby cmsellers » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:00 pm

Grimstone wrote:Yes, please... nominate another woman candidate who this time also happens to be a minority. /s

Do you want Trump re-elected? Because this is how you get Trump re-elected.

The problem isn't that she's a minority woman. Tammy Duckworth would wipe the floor with Trump and I'm pretty sure Tulsi Gabbard and Kamala Harris would also beat her.

The issue is that nominating Oprah is responding to Trump by saying "more of this please." It normalizes him, which is dangerous in the long term. And in the short term it negates the strongest ammunition against him, which is that he's a bumbling buffoon who had no idea being president would be so difficult.

That said, I made those same arguments with regards to the Rock and will make them again when Zuckerberg and Mark Cuban inevitably float their trial balloons; they're applicable to any celebrity candidate. However Max and others are right that her scientific illiteracy makes her even both for our country and as a candidate who can take on Trump.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby DamianaRaven » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:52 pm

DoglovingJim wrote:Damiana, considering you made the original post and the original score was 1-1 (with the no being mine). Does that mean you wish to see her run/become president and what made you have that view? Or did you not vote and someone else secretly decided "yes please" regarding President Winfrey?

*shrugs and shakes her head*

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Next