Cops kill child while shooting suspect

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Cops kill child while shooting suspect

Postby DamianaRaven » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:25 pm

This story just stinks to high heaven! Apparently, they were chasing a woman who (they say) threatened them with a weapon. When they cornered her on the porch of a mobile home she was allegedly trying to break into, they opened fire on her, killing her and a (completely innocent and unrelated) child who was inside. Also, no one has been able to find the gun with which they claim they were threatened.

I don't like this story - it's starting to look like they executed this woman out of anger and spite for making them chase her. The fact that they also took out an innocent child right before Christmas will probably be waved off as the collateral damage of "totally following proper procedure" by opening fire with complete disregard for whatever else their bullets might hit. I predict the kid's family will be tossed a few million as some kind of twisted "consolation prize" and that will be ALL the justice anyone gets. I'll be utterly astonished if anyone even loses their job over the careless killing of a child. After all, people who "matter" don't live in trailer parks.

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Re: Cops kill innocent child while shooting an unarmed woman

Postby gisambards » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:17 pm

DamianaRaven wrote:it's starting to look like they executed this woman out of anger and spite for making them chase her.

I don't see how it looks like that at all. It's a totally unfounded leap of judgment to assume this level of maliciousness, given what we currently know. It's equally plausible that they're telling the truth about everything.
Also, the thread title is misleading (presumably because it's been written more to generate outrage than be informative) - as of right now, it has not been confirmed that the woman was unarmed.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:44 pm

gisambards wrote:Also, the thread title is misleading (presumably because it's been written more to generate outrage than be informative) - as of right now, it has not been confirmed that the woman was unarmed.

As of right now, they haven't found any weapon with which she was supposed to have been armed. Considering they shot her dead, if there's no weapon nearby, then she wasn't armed. Also, if you don't like the way I title my threads in Current Events, beat me to the scoop with one of your own. Meanwhile, you can go ahead and STOP dropping coy insinuations that I'm being dishonest or promoting some kind of political agenda. I don't appreciate it and I'm NOT in the mood for this kind of pettiness today. I don't expect anyone will so much snort at your nastiness toward the likes of me, so I'll fuck off and maybe see you guys after Christmas.

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby gisambards » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:31 pm

DamianaRaven wrote:As of right now, they haven't found any weapon with which she was supposed to have been armed. Considering they shot her dead, if there's no weapon nearby, then she wasn't armed.

At the time the article was last updated, they were still searching for a weapon. This categorically doesn't mean there definitely wasn't a weapon, and so it is inaccurate to claim with certainty that she was unarmed.
Also, if you don't like the way I title my threads in Current Events, beat me to the scoop with one of your own.

I don't think it's unfair to expect thread titles in CAaSS to meet certain standards.
DamianaRaven wrote:Meanwhile, you can go ahead and STOP dropping coy insinuations that I'm being dishonest or promoting some kind of political agenda. I don't appreciate it and I'm NOT in the mood for this kind of pettiness today.

Your post was very obviously written to generate anti-police outrage, and in the process of doing that you made statements that were not fully accurate. It's really not petty to point that out.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:34 pm

That escalated quickly.

The suspect was shot several times while standing on the porch. How many shots does it take to neutralize kill a person?

Is their aim that bad? I know adrenaline and nerves play a role but good lawd.

Also maybe it's just me but when I read that someone has multiple warrants and is "known" to the police there's a possibility they're an informant which means they have carte blanche to commit crimes up until they don't. Think about it. If you were known by the police, and had multiple warrants, how hard would it be for them to find you and take you in?

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby blehblah » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:30 pm

Maybe I'm reading an updated version of the story. It seems she told them she had a gun and was going to shoot them, then brandished the weapon. She then ran through the woods, ending-up at the trailer, where she was shot. The six year-old was inside. Trailer walls (heck, just about any wall) don't do a good job of stopping bullets.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/ ... 451215.php

The suspected car thief killed by Bexar County deputies Thursday in the same shooting that ended the life of a 6-year-old boy was holding a dark metal tube deputies believed was a handgun, Bexar County Sheriff Javier Salazar said Friday.

Offering new details about why the deputies opened fire on the unarmed woman, Salazar said she was wielding an 8-inch long tube that looked like a weapon.

[...]

Deputies did not find a gun near Jones, though Salazar said they believe she had a gun with her earlier as she was being pursued by authorities. They continue to search the area for the firearm.

[...]

Salazar said he's reviewed statements given by the deputies, and their version of events is corroborated by a body camera worn by one of them.

Here is another article. http://news4sanantonio.com/news/local/d ... on-suspect

He stated that at some point, the suspect stepped out onto the porch of the home, where she was confronted by five deputies. Salazar said she again threatened to shoot the deputies, which he said was confirmed by the family inside the home. He said the deputies saw her holding something in her hand which they believed was a weapon.

Salazar said investigators later found a dark "tubular" object with blood on it below the desk of the home and stated it's likely that she had the object in her hand before the shooting. He said four deputies fired shots. A fifth officer at the scene, a K9 officer, did not fire a weapon.

Officials are still searching for a handgun, which they believe may be in a wooded area. He said they have two types of video, helicopter and body cam, but added that the helicopter did not capture the moment the suspect was pointing the object at the deputies. He said the body cam on one of the deputies captured good audio of the incident but because the officer is left-handed and the body cam was on his left shoulder, his firing arm was covering most of the camera.

A quantum state of signature may or may not be here... you just ruined it.
blehblah
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Error General, Panic Colonel

Postby iMURDAu » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:31 pm

Jayzus shite you mean to tell me it took four officers to shoot one person?

Even when you go to catch a baseball you say "I got it" so nobody else tries to catch it and things go awry. Apparently that needs to be part of the procedure when cops are dealing with suspects they're planning on shooting executing.

Imo there should be murder charges filed against the idiot who shot through the wall. But idk the law like that.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby DamianaRaven » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:15 am

gisambards wrote:I don't think it's unfair to expect thread titles in CAaSS to meet certain standards.

Well, your personal standards don't really affect me much. If you find my titles or descriptions inappropriate in any (meaningful) way, contact one of the moderators, who have my standing consent to edit my posts when necessary. Meanwhile, I'm sorry my perceived inaccuracy/hyperbole rustles your jimmies... y'know, in that bullshit way that people are "sorry" without actually experiencing any real regret. Beyond that, I really have no interest in bickering on the subject any further. I stand by what I wrote.

Now, back to the subject at hand, that "left-handed" excuse only covers ONE of the officers. There were several who opened fire, so it should be interesting to hear about what their cameras have to show.

DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Re: Cops kill child while shooting suspect

Postby Dr. Ambiguous » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:16 am

DamianaRaven wrote:
gisambards wrote:I don't think it's unfair to expect thread titles in CAaSS to meet certain standards.

Well, your personal standards don't really affect me much. If you find my titles or descriptions inappropriate in any (meaningful) way, contact one of the moderators, who have my standing consent to edit my posts when necessary. Meanwhile, I'm sorry my perceived inaccuracy/hyperbole rustles your jimmies... y'know, in that bullshit way that people are "sorry" without actually experiencing any real regret. Beyond that, I really have no interest in bickering on the subject any further. I stand by what I wrote.

Thankfully it doesn't really matter what you think of his personal standards, since the Forum Etiquette specifies how you should title threads.

TCS Staff wrote:3). Specific Thread Titles: When creating a new thread, use a title that is specific and gives information about what the topic is going to be about. Avoid titles that are inflammatory or don't give any information about the topic.

Examples of bad thread titles:

Another Terrible Article
Man on the Internet is a Real Prick
Oh for Fuck's Sake!
What do you think of...

Examples of Good Thread Titles:

5 Baddass Military Heroes
So You Have A Hamster Stuck Up Your Ass (Bulchoz Kills It Again)
US Congress Goes On Strike

Considering that according to the article you linked the suspect claimed to have a weapon with intent to use it against the officers, and it's yet to be determined if that's true, it's not exactly factually accurate to claim she was unarmed. It's possible that she was unarmed and lying, it's also possible the police are lying. Seeing as it's not yet known which of those (or other) possible options is true, the thread title as it is is indeed inflammatory, whether it's deliberate or not. I'll be changing the title, which can then be further changed if needed when new information arises.

I expect the rest of this thread to stay on topic. If you have issues with the way we expect threads to be titled then take it up in the Ask A Mod forum or PM a mod.

<@Tesseracts> your stalking skills make you the #1 counter-stalker

Not sure how to use the forum? Read the TCS Forum Guide
Dr. Ambiguous
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Random Pointless Rule Nazi

Re: Cops kill child while shooting suspect

Postby DamianaRaven » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:51 am

That'll work. I'm not going to ask for permission or approval before I title a thread any way I see fit, but you're always welcome to change it if somebody has a problem. (You're also welcome to delete this post in the interest of keeping things on topic.)

DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep