TCS Writing Contest December 2017 - Fantasy

Have fun. Win stuff. Do things.

TCS Writing Contest December 2017 - Fantasy

Postby Marcuse » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:44 pm

Welcome one and all to the TCS Write-Off December 2017!

This is the place for TCSers to flex their literary muscles, and compete with each other for the most interesting and compelling stories we can come up with.

Let’s go over the rules and how things work:

- Story length is up to 4000 words total (including any asides or additional notes).
- Please include a title for your piece. If you do not choose a title, you are implicitly giving us permission to title your piece whatever we want; "Moldy Bread" "Baby's Feet" "I, {Username}, Love Donald Trump" (Oh yes we would).
- Stories can include images, but are limited to a maximum of three per story.
- All stories must follow the usual TCS rules.
- Instances of plagiarism will not be tolerated, please make sure all works are entirely original.
- The contest will run from December 1st 2017 to January 1st 2018. That's an entire month to write, folks!
- All story submissions must be PM’d to Marcuse before the end of January 1st (that is, you should have it in by 23:59 GMT).
- The voting will not start until we have a minimum of 5 submissions.

To be very clear, this does technically mean you can submit after the deadline if not enough entries have come in yet, but first of all, that's a pretty big gamble, and secondly, doing that on purpose isn't very nice or considerate of the people who run the contest or the other people who have entered.

- All submissions will be posted by Marcuse, anonymously, in random order, in a locked thread created for that purpose. All stories will be posted under the TCS Writebot account.
- Stories will be judged by poll created when the thread of stories is posted. Voting will continue for one week, ending exactly one week after it is posted. The story with the highest vote wins.
- The winning story will be featured on the front page of the site under the name of the winning author. Every story will be kept in the Fridge, and the posters changed to the authors of the story, and the thread unlocked for comment.
- Questions, confusion and disputes will be handled by Marcuse, please PM him for clarification or to report any problems.

Theme - The theme of this contest will be: Fantasy

That can be anything from swords and sorcery to medievalism. The important word is fantastic so make it something unnatural, outlandish or breaking the general laws of how life works here. We're looking to escape into a world where the boring shit no longer matters and that barbarians really do have loincloths.

Age of WTF.jpg
Age of WTF.jpg (17.56 KiB) Viewed 32515 times

A note on critique - it is often preferable to seek the critique of other people before posting something to a contest, this is true here. However, for those critiquing, please remember to keep your points constructive and designed to help the author improve their piece. This is advice for private criticism, and strongly advised for post-contest comment. We’re meant to be building up here, not tearing down.

The contest will officially begin on the 1st December, submissions will be due by the end of the day on the 1st of January, and the voting will one week after all entries are received. So what are you waiting for? Get writing!

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Re: TCS Writing Contest December 2017 - Fantasy

Postby sunglasses » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:04 pm

Barbarian needs food badly

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:30 am

Ooh, I might dip my toe in on this one.

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:23 am

Hot damn.

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:35 am

I have absolutely no interest in most fantasy, but if I get a good idea and it turns out writing anything on the internet is still worth something, I'll jump right in.

*pours one out for the cosmic horror theme, ever the loser*

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby JamishT » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:59 am

KleinerKiller wrote:I have absolutely no interest in most fantasy, but if I get a good idea and it turns out writing anything on the internet is still worth something, I'll jump right in.

*pours one out for the cosmic horror theme, ever the loser*

Can I join you in that boat? I'll bring my own oar and stuff!

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:16 pm

FB_IMG_1513019776132.jpg
FB_IMG_1513019776132.jpg (46.3 KiB) Viewed 30940 times

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:30 pm

Remember peeps, you have until the END of January 1st GMT to submit your stories! I know you're all just sat around holding your...uh...pens, this time of year. So get writing!

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:47 am

I hit a horrendous case of writer's block. Probably won't finish this.

BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:45 am

I am working on something and I'll hopefully finish it by the deadline.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby CarrieVS » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:00 pm

Despite having a firm idea early on and even starting writing it, I managed to leave all but a fraction of it until the last few days. But I've made good progress since Tuesday and I hope to finish it.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:00 am

I didn't end up submitting for this, I even wrote out a story for it and had someone take a look at it, but it was kinda...eh. Still, we get some Lovecraftian or cosmic horror up in here, I have some ideas.

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby 52xMax » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:52 am

I keep saying I'll write something for these competitions one of these days, but I was stonewalled by the topic as well as the holidays that got in the way.

Eh, perhaps the next one. On the upside, I'm looking forward to reading your submissions.

"When in doubt... well, don't ask me!"
52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Salmon the Wise