Cracked fires its full time contributors?

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

Cracked fires its full time contributors?

Postby sunglasses » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:08 pm

Soooo I don't know any details or what just happened but may people are now looking for jobs. Cheese, Fortney, etc

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Re: Cracked now requires a subscription to vote on comments

Postby archaeologydalek » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:47 am

REDACTED

Last edited by archaeologydalek on Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
archaeologydalek
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:26 am

Good luck back atcha.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Tesseracts » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:12 am

David Wong Tweeted to confirm Cracked still exists.

I'm not alleging anything but he is eating Cracked in this photo.

opPLqvRd_400x400.png
opPLqvRd_400x400.png (328.55 KiB) Viewed 11778 times

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby DamianaRaven » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:25 am

Well, this is heartbreaking. I'm not ashamed to say that I absolutely LOVE that website - not just for all the great content over the years, but also for bringing us all together. If not for Cracked, I wouldn't have Drew in my life so even if everything goes completely to shit, they'll always have my gratitude for that much!

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby cmsellers » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:25 am

It's sad that all these people are getting laid off before Christmas. I want to post Merle Haggard's "If We Make it Through December" but that feels flippant. It's weird that I'm fine joking about mass shootings but not people who made stuff I liked (well, some of them), getting laid off. I guess I feel like I know them, even if they never knew me.

And yet part of me is annoyed that David Wong apparently still has a job. It's not that I particularly wish him ill, but the decline of Cracked is at least partially thanks to decisions he made, and it seems like he'll be the very last person to suffer the consequences of those decisions. I wish his employers had tried replacing him before it came to laying off most of Cracked's writers.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby DamianaRaven » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:34 am

It seems as if the concept of "staff writers" is being universally abandoned in favor of "freelance submissions." It should be interesting to see what manner of society this "gig economy" is building. I'd like to go on record now as predicting that it won't be pretty!

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby ghijkmnop » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:39 am

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby KleinerKiller » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:44 am

David Wong wrote:Cracked is still alive and I still work there and my plan is to keep publishing good things until the sun swallows the earth.

*glances around, shocked that I somehow missed the solar apocalypse*

But in all seriousness, cripes, this is not great. I harbor a lot of misgivings toward the site itself and I'm obviously about as fond of Mr. Pargin as the rest of y'all, but it's not fun to see all of these writers suddenly put out of work. My optimistic hope is that they manage to find jobs where they don't have to constantly whinge about politics 'n shit, and that the FCC doesn't strangle the internet dead and burn its remains so that it's still remotely possible to profit off writing online.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby 52xMax » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:01 am

Something's up alright, but I don't know if we should be jumping to conclusions based on the little information we have.

That said, whatever's going on is probably not good, but also not completely shocking to any of us who've been keeping track on the site and the continuous fuckups from those in charge of the business side of things.

I still like most of the creators that have worked there for years, and I hope they land on their feet, and perhaps the greatest tragedy here is how a company can't manage to turn all that talent into gold, but seems to be the current state of things.

I think he meant fuck Jason Pargin, and I agree.

Edit: the plot thickens.

So...they were all laid off. Wow, that sucks. It doesn't look great for cracked either, though.

"When in doubt... well, don't ask me!"
52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Salmon the Wise

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:23 am

Editors still seem to be up there, last I checked Brockway and Buccholz still say cracked in their bio.
http://forums.cracked.com/viewtopic.php ... 4#p3032134
Workshop is still fine too acc. to Wong.

Great signals they're sending though. If the layoffs are the future the new crop of workshop writers are looking up to... ha.

As for cracked itself, I really don't care to eulogize them, anyone who didn't leave five years ago is complicit in what's become of the site today. Just blame adblock and call fans entitled some more, this time I'm sure it'll work. And if you never did that, I'm sure there are other clickbait rags you can go write for now. I hear people are pretending Buzzfeed is good.

WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Grenadier

Postby SandTea » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:40 am

If Soren can get a writing job, then Swaim, Wilbert, all the rest (sorry guys and gals, I'm gonna be lazy) should also be alright. Seriously, they all have been way better than UCB or SNL casts recently. I don't mean to disparage those folk either but Crackeds' video stuff has been amazing and I credit its writers. As much as I love to hate on madtv, if all the folk who apparently just got dropped by cracked made a skit show, it would be top of my list right now. Especially the "it must have happened" series. So much potential.

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby DamianaRaven » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:08 am

Here's hoping that Cracked didn't slip any sneaky "no-compete" language into their contract negotiations to prevent just that kind of thing from happening! They might be in for some serious competition of those guys got together and made their own comedy site.

DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:19 am

cmsellers wrote:It's sad that all these people are getting laid off before Christmas. I want to post Merle Haggard's "If We Make it Through December" but that feels flippant. It's weird that I'm fine joking about mass shootings but not people who made stuff I liked (well, some of them), getting laid off. I guess I feel like I know them, even if they never knew me.

And yet part of me is annoyed that David Wong apparently still has a job. It's not that I particularly wish him ill, but the decline of Cracked is at least partially thanks to decisions he made, and it seems like he'll be the very last person to suffer the consequences of those decisions. I wish his employers had tried replacing him before it came to laying off most of Cracked's writers.

Bloody hell CMSellers, you got Merle Haggard stuck in my head again. Thank you for that, if we didn't have that tradition I'd have up-voted you.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby archaeologydalek » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:04 am

REDACTED

Last edited by archaeologydalek on Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
archaeologydalek
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Next