Sexual allegations 2: politician edition

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Sexual allegations 2: politician edition

Postby Cobra-D » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:11 pm

This thread was just gonna be about Al Franken but figured it be best to create thread focusing on all the politicians who turn out to be creeps.

So let's start with Al shall we! Oh Al, I respected you so much and then you had to go and honk a radio host boobs, while she's sleeping no less. To his credit he has issued an apology, though he shouldn't have to seeing how he shouldn't have groped her in the first place.

The truth is like poetry, everyone fucking hates poetry.
Cobra-D
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: The Witty Flirt

Re: Sexual allegations 2: politician edition

Postby sunglasses » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:48 pm

I saw people calling for him to resign. Sure, push for him to resign. As long as we're pushing for EVERYONE in government who has been accused of sexual harassment/misconduct/or assault to resign as well.

I'm not saying what he did was cool (although I saw the pic and I'm not quite sure how much boob you feel thru body armor) but considering what other members of congress and our president have been accused of in the past...it's not as bad.

Blech.

There's going to be an ethics investigation. Of note, the incident occurred before he was a senator and the senate has dismissed similar allegations when they occurred prior to the person being a senator in the past.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Aquila89 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:07 pm

Not as bad... yet. Maybe in the following days more women will come forward and then it will be as bad.

Various Democratic Senators condemned Franken's behavior, but stopped short of calling him to resign.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:36 pm

"Will anyone who hasn't ever been inappropriate sexually please raise their hands?"

"Does touching Mother's bottom count?"

"No, Mike, I don't think so."

"So we've got....no one except Mike left to run the Government. Great. Juuuust great. Tammy, what did you do?"

"Groped a Chipendale once at a party."

*sigh*

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby SandTea » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:55 pm

sunglasses wrote:I saw people calling for him to resign. Sure, push for him to resign. As long as we're pushing for EVERYONE in government who has been accused of sexual harassment/misconduct/or assault to resign as well.

It is very frustrating to me that he probably will step down. Not because I'm defending the actions but because democrats actually get punished by their own. Fucking principles. Gotta be much less stressful to be a republican politician.

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby Absentia » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:07 pm

So here's the picture in question.

Spoiler: show

It doesn't look to me like he's even touching her; he's pantomiming a grope. It's an inappropriate joke, but it is just a joke.

The bit about forcing her to kiss him is more problematic. I wouldn't expect him to resign over it, but an investigation is probably appropriate.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby 52xMax » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:01 pm

It's not just the one accusation anymore

https://mediaequalizer.com/brian-malone ... sed-me-too

"When in doubt... well, don't ask me!"
52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Salmon the Wise

Postby iMURDAu » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:19 pm

Al's gotta go. Bye bye bud. Seize ya.

She's sleeping. He's pictured touching her chest. I don't care what she's wearing. He's got a creepy smile going on. And despite searching his established neurological pathways for any lingering recollection of his behavior, he found nothing.

Nobody should have to call for him to step down, he should just go sit in the fucking corner with Louis. But if he wants to smear his shit everywhere like Roy's our Boy Moore, I don't mind to watch the spectacle.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Cobra-D » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:41 pm

52xMax wrote:It's not just the one accusation anymore

https://mediaequalizer.com/brian-malone ... sed-me-too

That's more of a accusation of him being an asshole then any sexual misconduct.

The truth is like poetry, everyone fucking hates poetry.
Cobra-D
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: The Witty Flirt

Postby Anglerphobe » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:06 am

I need to remember to crop him from that picture and save him somewhere for future memeing purposes. You just can't let that image go to waste.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby Aquila89 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:14 am

iMURDAu wrote:Nobody should have to call for him to step down, he should just go sit in the fucking corner with Louis. But if he wants to smear his shit everywhere like Roy's our Boy Moore, I don't mind to watch the spectacle.

Leeann Tweeden (the first accuser) said that she accepts Franken's apology and doesn't think he should step down. So it that sense the situation is quite different from Roy Moore. His accusers got no apology to accept or refuse.

Of course it's not up to Tweeden to decide. And further accusations could arise - accusations of actual sexual misconduct, not just being too aggressive in a political argument (because that's what Melanie Morgan's claim essentially is).

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:42 am

Al Franken says that the skit was him trying to be funny and failed.

Seeing as that describes his entirely comedy routine, I'm actually inclined to believe him.

Seriously, I read a lot of liberal humorists in my early teens, and only James Carville was less funny, but he was more a strategist than a comedian. I've never understood how Franken managed to make a living at comedy.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby JamishT » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:47 am

I don't particularly care about this one, because news fatigue and all that. However, every time I read "Al Franken" my brain plays the random SNL clips I've seen of him saying his own name as a punchline.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby Aquila89 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:02 am

Trump, still silent on Roy Moore, rushed to condemn Franken on Twitter, calling him "Al Frankenstien" (sic) because this is the appropriate tone for the president to use when discussing sexual harassment.

--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:04 pm

So, he took a photo where he was pretending to do something which would be wrong if he had, in fact, done it, and this is in itself sexual harassment? I find it really hard to take these things seriously when the most popular allegation is about a photo that frank(en)ly doesn't look that serious to me. Sure, it's not really appropriate, but he wasn't a senator then, so why would he hold himself as a comedian to the moral standards of a senator?

I do wish we could limit our ("our" as in "society") coverage of complaints about sexual harassment to the real actual complaints people have about people using their power to sexually abuse others. Why is it not enough to just root out the actual rape and sexual assault people have been doing? Why do we need to go after every shitty two-bit comedian turned shitty two-bit senator as well?

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Next