Louis CK sexual harassment "rumors"

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: Louis CK sexual harassment "rumors"

Postby KleinerKiller » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:27 am

Crimson847 wrote:-gloating snip-

Seriously though, I really can't emphasize enough the difference between "this claim is unproven" and "this claim is clearly a lie", and the importance of respecting that difference.

What a mature reaction.

Let me reiterate: there were no direct claims to prove before the NY Times article gathered up real accusers. I always said it would be a different case with an actual source of allegations, rather than people talking about people and others calling for people who might know if something happened. The Gawker collective are not noble soldiers digging for the truth; their sole intent has always been the inflaming of rumors for clicks. The fact that they latched onto something that ended up having truth to it does not justify the years of sloppy, unethical reporting practices, any more than corrupt cops nabbing someone who happens to be guilty justifies their corruption.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby Crimson847 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:44 am

KleinerKiller wrote:What a mature reaction.

Let me reiterate: there were no direct claims to prove before the NY Times article gathered up real accusers. I always said it would be a different case with an actual source of allegations, rather than people talking about people and others calling for people who might know if something happened. The Gawker collective are not noble soldiers digging for the truth; their sole intent has always been the inflaming of rumors for clicks. The fact that they latched onto something that ended up having truth to it does not justify the years of sloppy, unethical reporting practices, any more than corrupt cops nabbing someone who happens to be guilty justifies their corruption.

Of course Gawker aren't "noble soldiers digging for the truth"; they're sloppy journalists with notorious ethics issues. That doesn't matter much to me when they're not the sole originators of the story, though, and it doesn't change the fact that dismissing the allegations as obvious lies just because Gawker got their mitts on them was a mistake. Nothing was stopping you from paying attention to what Notaro, Barr, and Kirkman among others were saying rather than misrepresenting their statements and trying to pin the whole thing on Gawker, and nothing was stopping you from remaining neutral on the question of whether there was anything to the allegations against CK.

You chose not to do either. More to the point, you can't even admit that it was a mistake to rush to accuse CK's critics of slander based on insufficient information in the first place, even while you castigate Gawker for...rushing to accuse CK of sexual misconduct based on insufficent information. Taking potshots at me for feeling rather vindicated by this turn of events and resentful of the smug snark I got for withholding judgment isn't going to change that.

EDIT: Rereading that last line, it occurs to me that fighting smug snark with more smug snark is pretty hypocritical of me. I apologize for the Rihanna gif; that was a shitty thing to post.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:21 pm

tinyrick wrote:...I assumed it would be Garfunkel and Oates.

I hope he didn't whip it out at Micucci, because sometimes that kind of wordplay just isn't funny. And sometimes it is.

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby sunglasses » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:22 pm

I just want to say, I'm very happy that KK phrased the posts correctly re: sexual harassment vs sexual assault. I've been explaining (patiently, so patiently) to people online that whipping your dick out is sexual harassment NOT sexual assault per legal standards as there is no touching. Now, if someone slaps you with their dick that can be, in fact, construed as sexual assault. I just think it's important to highlight the differences.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby sunglasses » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:37 pm

He says the stories are true.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby NathanLoiselle » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:24 pm

There's a difference between "rumors" and "rumours". The difference being a "u".

I don't know why I said that, it just seemed appropriate.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby reallifegirl » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:36 pm

Welp, that resolves that, I guess?

I don't know, I feel weird saying "Good for him for admitting it", because, you know, you shouldn't masturbate on unwilling participants. But at least he did come clean without any half-assing or trying to justify it. It's still shitty that he did it, but at least it puts an end to any question of 'But DID HE do it?'

I also wonder if this has been eating at him at least a little bit given the subject matter of the film that got pulled, which is basically allllll about justifying sexual assault from people we admire (the movie is basically a tribute to Woody Allen where John Malkovich plays a Woody Allen-esque director who screws underage girls, then puts the move on Louis' daughter). You can see the trailer here:

"I can believe things that are true and things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not."

Encyclopedia Dramatica wrote:Reallifegirl: Is supposedly a girl in real life, but we all know that's false. Gets highest comment roughly 75% of the time, and has never had a single red-thumbed comment. Ever.
reallifegirl
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Officially allegedly female

Postby blehblah » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:40 pm

sunglasses wrote:He says the stories are true.

Here is the statement, as published by the NYT:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/10/arts ... ement.html

I have to take a bit of time to figure-out what I think of this.

A quantum state of signature may or may not be here... you just ruined it.
blehblah
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Error General, Panic Colonel

Postby Aquila89 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:13 am

FX ended association with C.K. His upcoming movie was dropped by its distributor. HBO already cut ties with him yesterday. He's also been fired from the sequel of The Secret Life of Pets.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:44 pm

I don't know. I masturbate all over my wife on a regular basis. Sure, she's unconscious and asleep and sure she wonders why she's all sticky when she wakes up. But I never hear any complaints.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:55 pm

Screenshot_20171112-175447.jpg
Screenshot_20171112-175447.jpg (750.62 KiB) Viewed 5218 times

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby Crimson847 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:03 am

Apparently CK has been doing private sets as part of a comeback attempt. Some audio leaked from a recent one and it's, uh, interesting:

Atlantic article about the reaction here:

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainme ... pe/579220/

CK's response this evening (EDIT: not clear it's really him--see discussion below) has apparently been to drunkenly go to town on his own foot on Twitter:

Last edited by Crimson847 on Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:45 am

On one hand, I understand why people are mad at him for even attempting a come back.

On the other hand *swigs tequila* do people know how stand up sets are made? You try stuff out in comedy clubs to see what lands and what doesn't. Some clubs, especially if someone is working on an hour or whatever, take patron's phones away from them to prevent leaked audio. Whoever leaked this audio is a grade-A jerkface. CK wasn't ready to have this material out in public public, obviously, and regardless of your opinion on his come back, he didn't mean for this to be part of it at this time.

I think those who are trying to paint him as suddenly being "alt-right" comic are people who think all sexual predators must be Republican/Alt-Right, and are just trying to shove him onto "the other side" in their minds and the minds of those who pay attention to them.

Also, I'm 90% certain he doesn't have Twitter, so I doubt the validity of those tweets.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby gisambards » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:26 am

JamishT wrote: do people know how stand up sets are made? You try stuff out in comedy clubs to see what lands and what doesn't.

I've performed in comedy clubs. This is isn't remotely an excuse for a set being so actively offensive whilst making so little effort to be funny, particularly when it's coming from a comedian of his talent and experience. Performing at a club isn't just a matter of spouting every bit of rubbish that's come into your head, the sets there should have (and certainly in the case of someone like Louis C.K., will have) been heavily worked on in private.
JamishT wrote:Some clubs, especially if someone is working on an hour or whatever, take patron's phones away from them to prevent leaked audio. Whoever leaked this audio is a grade-A jerkface. CK wasn't ready to have this material out in public public, obviously, and regardless of your opinion on his come back, he didn't mean for this to be part of it at this time.

It's a public performance. If someone had leaked footage from a club in order to take the piss out of a new comedian who doesn't do a great job, that would be reprehensible. If the point of the leak was just that C.K. gave a performance at a club that was simply unfunny, that would also be reprehensible. But when it's someone as famous as him saying really offensive things (and, what I think is key for when an offensive joke crosses the line, which is that there's absolutely no insight or attempt to look at things in an interesting way, he is just punching down for the sake of it), that's different.
I think those who are trying to paint him as suddenly being "alt-right" comic are people who think all sexual predators must be Republican/Alt-Right, and are just trying to shove him onto "the other side" in their minds and the minds of those who pay attention to them.

The contentious comments he makes in the set are at the expense of non-binary people, Parkland survivors and the mentally disabled, so it's hardly surprising that's getting him branded Milo-esque.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Crimson847 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:44 am

JamishT wrote:Also, I'm 90% certain he doesn't have Twitter, so I doubt the validity of those tweets.

He quit Twitter in 2015, but people come back. That said, I'd initially thought it was probably real because of the quarter of a million followers (fake accounts usually seem to have a few thousand tops), the lack of any telltale bullshit in the username (like "@TotallyRealNoFakesiesPromiseLouisCK67111"), and other details about the account, despite not having a blue checkmark. On reflection though, a quarter-million followers isn't *that* unrealistic for a good impersonator account under these circumstances, so I'm downgrading the tweets to "disturbing if true".

As for the set though, some people have pointed out that it isn't all that different from a lot of his older material (except for being painfully unpolished). It's jarring for me as someone who only ever saw his Netflix specials, but apparently if you look at his standup as a whole it's not so out of character for him. Usually this seems to be a prelude to an argument that the onetime fans who were disappointed by what they heard have lost their senses of humor in an age of outrage, but my impression is more that his "act like an asshole while winking at the audience to show he's not really like that" schtick falls apart now because he lost his credibility as a good guy who's "not really like that". If he wants a comeback he's gotta either do something to regain it, or go full asshole and settle for a cult following among the redpill crowd, and it seems like he's drifting toward the latter whether intentionally or not.

- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

PreviousNext